Covidiots in Hyde Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blunderbuss 03 Jun 2020

Looks just like festival crowd.....madness!

The cause does not justify this level of idiocy. 

PaulJepson 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Please refrain from using these kind of terms for the general public. These words are weapons which will be used by the powers that be in future in order to blame the public for C-19 instead of their lack of leadership, message, responsibility and action.

Those people aren't there because they're idiots, they're there because the ruling powers have said they can be and there are numerous cases of the people in positions of responsibility flaunting the very rules they try to administer. 

The 'Covidiots' are the ones not putting in place or enforcing legislation to prevent this kind of thing. 

Post edited at 16:39
 ebdon 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Are you actually in hyde park? Or are you being outraged by clickbait photos on the internet specifically taken to make things look bad? 

Billhook 03 Jun 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Please refrain from using these kind of terms for the general public. These words are weapons which will be used by the powers that be in future in order to blame the public for C-19 instead of their lack of leadership, message, responsibility and action.

> Those people aren't there because they're idiots, they're there because the ruling powers have said they can be and there are numerous cases of the people in positions of responsibility flaunting the very rules they try to administer. 

> The 'Covidiots' are the ones not putting in place or enforcing legislation to prevent this kind of thing. 

At the start of this I would have disagreed.  Alas, I totally agree with you.  Since the Cumming's affair not only have more 2nd home owners been staying in our village, but the appetite for reporting them seems to have gone.  For my part it seemed pointless and rather churlish given the current situation.

OP Blunderbuss 03 Jun 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I've been sent an ariel photo from Sky News that looks like a festival crowd...

In reply to PaulJepson:

> Please refrain from using these kind of terms for the general public. These words are weapons which will be used by the powers that be in future in order to blame the public for C-19 instead of their lack of leadership, message, responsibility and action.

> Those people aren't there because they're idiots, they're there because the ruling powers have said they can be and there are numerous cases of the people in positions of responsibility flaunting the very rules they try to administer. 

> The 'Covidiots' are the ones not putting in place or enforcing legislation to prevent this kind of thing. 

I am very critical of ourvgovernments response to this whole crisis but people need to be sensible and what I have seen is far from it.... 

In reply to Blunderbuss:

Plenty of photos on the BBC of people not keeping 2m distance....

I am sure those on the NHS front line in London are delighted.

ebdon 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

For context to my rather terse reply, I have several family members living in central london who are rather sick of missreprestaion in the media loving the easy outrage the can generate. Its actually been pretty quite in most places. I cant comment about hyde park but my Dad, who us taking this very seriously and social distancing actually witnessed a journalist taking a wide angled shot over a long straight road about 1km long to make it look a lot more busy than it actually was which was subsequently published in a national paper. So hou need to take some things you see on the internet with a pinch of salt and judging people who my be stuck in tiny flats with large families for going to local parks with terms like 'covidiots' when our mighty leader has said that's fine can be seen as being a bit elitist. 

Personally I'm saving my outrage for stuff I've actually seen as per the increase in problem behaviour thread.

Edit: good example in this article from sky https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-londoners-warned-people-will-die...

Full of dodgy shots to make places look more crowded then they actually were (I know these parks very well) but wheres the clicks in that?

Post edited at 17:02
 PaulJepson 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

It's easy to blame the public. Why are they not locking themselves away?!

Are British people truly that different to people from other countries? Why weren't the recreational spaces in places like Spain filled with El Covidiote? A)Because British people are idiots and Spanish people are not, or B)Because the Spanish government put in place an effective plan to combat the spread of the disease and enforced it heavily?

Answers on a sanitized postcard please.  

Yanis Nayu 03 Jun 2020
In reply to ebdon:

They’ve just shown overhead pictures on the BBC news. Whilst it could certainly be worse, it was clear there wasn’t strict adherence to the 2m separation. I’m not sure a problem in America warrants an increased risk of us losing control of the Coronavirus outbreak. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

> It's easy to blame the public. Why are they not locking themselves away?!

> Are British people truly that different to people from other countries? Why weren't the recreational spaces in places like Spain filled with El Covidiote? A)Because British people are idiots and Spanish people are not, or B)Because the Spanish government put in place an effective plan to combat the spread of the disease and enforced it heavily?

> Answers on a sanitized postcard please.  

No idea what your point is here, chief....mine is simple, if you were in the middle of that crowd in Hyde Park you're an idiot. 

ebdon 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Is this a protesting against police brutality in the states thing? If so that's a whole different can of worms and i was getting on my high horse about somthing completely different so will back out of the room slowly hopeing no one notices...

StefanB 03 Jun 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Are British people truly that different to people from other countries? Why weren't the recreational spaces in places like Spain filled with El Covidiote?

Well, for Spain at least I can report two things:

1. guidelines were/are much clearer than in the UK. Things like, "exercise: 1 hour, within the municipal, no travel, no groups, 2 meters distance" vs "about 5 miles from home, travel is ok, stay safe".

2. Sensible policing: just to give examples:

My teenage son, who went for a walk alone at the wrong time (we had intervals for age groups) because he made an innocent mistake, was sent home with a warning by a friendly policeman.

Whereas an illicit rooftop party nearby with 30 people was broken up by a police helicopter and resulted in a 10.000 Euro fine.

Just two examples, where common sense was applied by the police. In general, I have been quite impressed by how the police have performed here. They even installed a circular one-way system for runners in the local park once exercise was allowed again after the total lockdown.

Post edited at 17:41
 Yanis Nayu 03 Jun 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I think so, but maybe I’ll be backing out too

In reply to Blunderbuss:

Met Police confirmed they didnt/won't intervene despite clear breaches of social distancing on a large scale because of the fear of violent disorder if they did...

Great. 

Cobra_Head 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

> No idea what your point is here, chief....mine is simple, if you were in the middle of that crowd in Hyde Park you're an idiot. 

Paul's right though, if people didn't think we're all OK now, the message the government seems to be giving out, or EVEN if the government released the data they are making decisions on. People might not be taking these risks.

Even today, Boris accused Starmer of scaremongering!!

FactorXXX 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

> Looks just like festival crowd.....madness!

Were they wearing baggy trousers and dirty shirts?

Blue Straggler 03 Jun 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

Nah, they like driving in their car

marsbar 03 Jun 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

They were pulling hair and eating dirt.

FactorXXX 03 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> They were pulling hair and eating dirt.

What an embarrassment! 

FactorXXX 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

> Looks just like festival crowd.....madness!

One things for certain, they wouldn't be out in force now as the sun has gone and no one likes to protest on a grey day.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Paul's right though, if people didn't think we're all OK now, the message the government seems to be giving out, or EVEN if the government released the data they are making decisions on. People might not be taking these risks.

> Even today, Boris accused Starmer of scaremongering!!

Risks, have you seen the footage, these lot are taking the piss.....absolute morons.

Timmd 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I think PaulJepson makes some valid points given the mixed messages and Cumming's example too, but I'm thinking they probably lack a bit of common sense given the info on how covid is spread.

Albert Tatlock 03 Jun 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

They would if they returned to Los Palmas.

In reply to Timmd:

> I think PaulJepson makes some valid points given the mixed messages and Cumming's example too, but I'm thinking they probably lack a bit of common sense given the info on how covid is spread.

You call this lacking a bit of common sense:

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1268227663765942272?ref_src=twsrc...

How about 'All Lifes Matter' in the middle of a pandemic.

Absolute morons....

oldie 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

In my view most of these people aren't idiots. They have made a decision not to stick to the guidelines for various reasons, but often for enjoyment. Many of them are young and know they are highly unlikely to be at risk of serious illness or death. They know an increasing number of people have been ignoring many of the guidelines, the poor examples of some prominent citizens and politicians haven't helped. They are not overly worried about increasing the risk to others, including the immunocompromised and old (they may think those people can isolate). They are also not worried much about increasing the chance of reimposition of restrictions if the disease becomes more rampant (and would be less likely to follow such restrictions which they know have been difficult to enforce).
 I disagree with them, but I'm a hypocrite as I too have sometimes selectively disregarded some guidelines.

mack 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

or took a night boat to Cairo.

balmybaldwin 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> They’ve just shown overhead pictures on the BBC news. Whilst it could certainly be worse, it was clear there wasn’t strict adherence to the 2m separation. I’m not sure a problem in America warrants an increased risk of us losing control of the Coronavirus outbreak. 

The problem is not just in America. It's just worse there

Albert Tatlock 03 Jun 2020
In reply to mack:

No, that’s one step beyond social distancing. 

Timmd 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I generally do understate things. 

Lol at the dislike, I do often do. *dislike -- harrumph*

Post edited at 22:34
 Dave the Rave 03 Jun 2020

> They would if they returned to Los Palmas.

On the wings of a dove.

mack 03 Jun 2020

Shut up. That's the way to do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...