Covid transmission through air and its mitigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Oct 2020

Excellent article from Spain on the probability of Covid transmission in different environments and how and by how much ventilation and masks can reduce the number of infections. Specifically discusses classrooms and points out that the teacher is the most infectious person in the room.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-...

marsbar 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

I've been told in the school that seems to have the most clear advice, that as a teacher I'm to stay 2m away from all pupils at all times in the classroom.  (Masks in corridors)  

They have started putting screens in around the teachers desks.  

Hopefully this and the windows and doors open will help.  

Removed User 29 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> I've been told in the school that seems to have the most clear advice, that as a teacher I'm to stay 2m away from all pupils at all times in the classroom.  (Masks in corridors)  

> They have started putting screens in around the teachers desks.  

> Hopefully this and the windows and doors open will help.  

I guess not shouting at your pupils will be prudent for the foreseeable future .

Fat Bumbly2 29 Oct 2020

It’s them shouting at me which is a worry. Feeling seriously exposed

girlymonkey 29 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I don't get why masks aren't being worn in classrooms! It seems more important than in corridors as you don't spend much time in the corridor!

Andy Hardy 29 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Some students are hard of hearing / deaf and lip read the teacher. Can't think of a good reason for the kids to not wear masks though...

Robert Durran 29 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I don't get why masks aren't being worn in classrooms! It seems more important than in corridors as you don't spend much time in the corridor!

We are wearing masks in classrooms when approaching pupils closely to help them but not when at the front of the room 2 metres away while class teaching. I'm not convinced masks in corridors do much good though they can't do any harm, but masks for all at all times in classrooms would be rubbish for communication which is pretty essential in teaching ( I would hate it!)

Ridge 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Some students are hard of hearing / deaf and lip read the teacher. Can't think of a good reason for the kids to not wear masks though...

Judging by my local co-op kids would appear to be exempt from wearing face coverings...

girlymonkey 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

We were them all the time while dealing with old people with mental health issues, poor hearing etc. They really don't hinder your voice much at all.

Yes, an issue if you have lip readers in the class, but that can't be most classes? And surely a lot can be done with power point or other such aids?

bruxist 29 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm using Live Transcribe: it displays your speech on a screen in realtime. But that's with adults whose reading ability is good. I can imagine difficulties with using it in schools, where owing to the age of the kids or their reading comprehension level it would present just another barrier. Still worth considering in all situations where masks are advisable and the lip-reading interlocutor has good reading comprehension.

girlymonkey 29 Oct 2020
In reply to bruxist:

That does sound like a good tool!

Yes, some situations in schools are going to be such that masks couldn't be worn, but very few! Rather than everyone immediately jumping to the exceptions as to why something can't be done, let's change the culture to all following best practice and then working out what needs to be done as the exceptions arise. One class with someone relying on lip readers does not negate the rest of the school using masks. Just make suitable adjustments as needed but keep the general message as masks must be worn! 

Robert Durran 30 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

As of next week we are going to have to wear masks all the time teaching S4, S5 and S6.

Dreading it.

> As of next week we are going to have to wear masks all the time teaching S4, S5 and S6.

> Dreading it.

It seems to me that in Scotland there's no difference between S6 and Uni freshers since you can leave school after S5 and go to University.  It is quite clear that Covid spreads like wildfire through University freshers and universities are trying to avoid or minimise face to face teaching. 

Biologically, in terms of children's likelihood to catch/spread a virus the criterion is presumably post or pre-puberty.  Which would imply that we should do as little face to face teaching as possible for S4 and S5 as well.

girlymonkey 30 Oct 2020

Just make sure your mask is comfy and you won't even notice it. Some of mine I have cut the elastics off and resewn them in a different position to make sure it stays snug and in place. Remember they move differently when you talk. I often forget I am wearing one now, it just becomes normal. I find myself working on my own in a room with an open window and I still haven't bothered to take it off, even though I could. 

Flinticus 30 Oct 2020

Before reading this, I emailed my local wall yesterday as to why, when I've been there recently, all doors have been shut (there's no openable windows). 

Numbers in the centre are up and there's a noticeably younger demographic than pre-pandemic. 

Lets check my gmail...I got a reply. Doors are supposed to be open so staff will be reminded, and they note, as I mentioned in my email, that the centre has got busier.

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I'm not complaining about the requirement - if the science says it is sensible then si be it. I'm just not looking forward to it. Wearing glasses is rubbish with a mask because they just steam up. Belaying at Ratho is a nightmare!

Removed User 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Maybe send them that link. I certainly found it very convincing.

FactorXXX 30 Oct 2020

> I'm not complaining about the requirement - if the science says it is sensible then si be it. I'm just not looking forward to it. Wearing glasses is rubbish with a mask because they just steam up. Belaying at Ratho is a nightmare!

I have to wear a mask in work and wear glasses.
They initially steam up, but get better as the temperatures equalise.
One problem you might have with the normal masks/face coverings is that they constantly move down under your nose when you are talking to your class.
A possible solution is to use a FFP2/N95 mask as they are less likely to both cause steamed up glasses and move down your nose.  Just make sure that the nose bridge is malleable wire and not a relatively stiff piece of plastic.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks. Shall look into that.

MargieB 30 Oct 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

glasses are a problem. I wear a scarf looped around my neck. Then a buff from throat up , abunched at nose area. The air is forced into the loser throat area  and the scarf stops is coming out the bottom but forces my expiration through the material of the buff at  throat level. It has solved a lot of the  cold air to hot air glasses steam up. Or tape around the nose area and under the eyes of a standard mask with that  clear "plasters"   roll tape you get in Boots.

A buff is not the government mask material but could you machine sew government mask material into a buff, including the flexible nose metal  but reaching to the bottom of the throat plus light looped scarf.?

Neil Williams 30 Oct 2020
In reply to MargieB:

What do you mean by "Government mask material"?  There isn't a standard.

FactorXXX 30 Oct 2020
In reply to MargieB:

> A buff is not the government mask material but could you machine sew government mask material into a buff, including the flexible nose metal  but reaching to the bottom of the throat plus light looped scarf.?

Think the nearest to a recognised government mask material would be a whole mask classified as FFP1/2/3 as per EN149.
It's a moot point as I'm only allowed to wear masks supplied by the company (they're actually face coverings and not a 'proper' mask).  I'd rather wear my own, as the control measures around storage, handling and issuing of the masks is a little bit worrying...

marsbar 30 Oct 2020
In reply to MargieB:

I have sewn thick wire into my home made masks.  It really helps.  

phizz4 04 Nov 2020

Another interesting take on this from The Lancet.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30833-1/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...