Covid Tracing App

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chopper 21 Jan 2021

My lad loaded the NHS tracing app on his smart phone a few months ago. Switched it on and thought no more about it.

Yesterday a message flashed up saying that, on 19th January(Tuesday), he had been in contact with somebody who had tested positive for covid and that he should self isolate for ten days. He is flumoxed, not to say a bit pissed off now for the simple reason that he hasn't been outside the hose since Sunday.

He's spoken to a number of professional contact who have all had similar "false positives".

What the hell is going on?

In reply to Chopper:

Am I right in thinking the technology works off Bluetooth handshakes. ie it could be triggered through the walls of a terraced house or sat in stationary traffic? It's just a vulnerability I've considered before now and could have nothing to do with your predicament. Disclaimer: I have no technological expertise to speak of.

arch 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

Same thing happened to our Daughter. Next-door neighbour is isolating after a positive test and Daughters new iPhone picked it up through the party wall (we think) she hadn't been in contact with anyone either.

Post edited at 21:38
OP Chopper 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

We are thinking that when this sort of thing happens it's little wonder that conspiracy theories start multiplying. I can imagine some of the more gullible believing that this is proof that somebody "up there" is out to trace our every movement.

Talking of which:

Ordering a Pizza in 2022
CALLER:
Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE:
No sir, it's Google Pizza.
CALLER:
I must have dialled a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE:
No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER:
OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE:
Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER:
My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE:
According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER:
Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE:
May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER:
What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE:
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER:
How the hell do you know that?
GOOGLE:
Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER:
Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE:
Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.
CALLER:
I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER:
I paid in cash.
GOOGLE:
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER:
I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!
CALLER:
WHAT THE HELL!
GOOGLE:
I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER:
Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE:
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

James Malloch 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

> My lad loaded the NHS tracing app on his smart phone a few months ago. Switched it on and thought no more about it.

> Yesterday a message flashed up saying that, on 19th January(Tuesday), he had been in contact with somebody who had tested positive for covid and that he should self isolate for ten days. He is flumoxed, not to say a bit pissed off now for the simple reason that he hasn't been outside the hose since Sunday.

> He's spoken to a number of professional contact who have all had similar "false positives".

> What the hell is going on?

If he got the notification on Tuesday I'd assume the test was taken on either Sunday or Monday. So if your son had been out on Sunday, or before, the interaction picked up from the app would have been from then. 

The person he came into contact with then must have developed symptoms, booked a test, got tested & waited for the results. 

The timelines seem quite to work out as I assume they will keep track of your movements over a period of time.

Post edited at 10:42
OP Chopper 22 Jan 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

> If he got the notification on Tuesday I'd assume the test was taken on either Sunday or Monday. So if your son had been out on Sunday, or before, the interaction picked up from the app would have been from then. 

> The person he came into contact with then must have developed symptoms, booked a test, got tested & waited for the results. 

> The timelines seem quite to work out as I assume they will keep track of your movements over a period of time.

No, the signal on the app stated that the "encounter" had been on 19th. He got the notification on the following day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...