covid pass validity period

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The NHS website claims that covid passes should be valid for 30 days.

The covid passes I get issued with are only valid for two days. I have had both covid vaccinations, and a booster (today).

Two days seems to be for those who are using a PCR/LFT result, rather than vaccination status. I have not logged any covid LFTs. I did have a PCR test a couple of weeks ago, but that wouldn't qualify me for a pass now (or, at least, it shouldn't...).

Does anyone know why there might be this discrepancy? My mates are able to access the NHS Digital website and get 30-day covid passes (I originally thought it might be an app/website difference).

My obvious suspicion is that some cabinet bum chum is getting paid for every covid pass issued...

In reply to captain paranoia:

Get the paper one. It's fewer clicks and less faff than the schmancy electric one and lasts forever.

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I suspect I would only get two days on 'the paper one'. It appears there is some discrepancy in their system.

It may have something to do with me only recently being recognised as even existing, as far as NHS Digital are concerned...

Andy Clarke 03 Dec 2021

When I started using the NHS app I similarly only had a pass valid for a couple of days. After I did the additional identity checks (photo of passport plus video) so I could access my records, my next pass was for a month. I assumed this was cause and effect, but given the government's record on IT, who knows.

Maggot 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I did the full ID check in the summer to get on the NHS app to get the passpport/square barcode thing to go to Eire, bars etc were perfectly happy with a quick scan, gave me a month. Just renewed now till 2nd of Jan.

FactorXXX 04 Dec 2021

> It may have something to do with me only recently being recognised as even existing, as far as NHS Digital are concerned...

Have you considered changing your username to major paranoia?

There's no date on the paper one. And it's like 3 clicks to get it, none of this video/photo bollocks, so surely worth a punt. Nothing to lose.

> none of this video/photo bollocks, s

I haven't been offered any photo/video option. My identity seems to have been confirmed to the extent that i can access my NHS services. I hope that is robust enough to actually prove my identity... My GP practice had to confirm my existence...

Neil Williams 04 Dec 2021

I don't recall any video thing to get a COVID pass on my phone.

rockcatch 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

In Wales we had to upload a copy of some ID (e.g. a driving licence) and then record a video reading out numbers that were on screen to prove it was us. We only had to do this the first time we wanted to get a pass, and can now renew it without repeating that process.

In reply to Neil Williams:

Yeah I've heard of a few people having to film themselves reading numbers or some crap. So I thought I'd see how hard it is to get the paper one and before I knew it I'd requested one. Just checked again and there's no expiry date on it. Just do that. Get the paper one. Just get the paper one. I cannot express how trivially easy it is to get the paper one.

> Just get the paper one. I cannot express how trivially easy it is to get the paper one.

Which 'paper one' do you mean?

I'm using the NHS Covid Pass website.

https://covid-status.service.nhsx.nhs.uk/

I login in with my NHS login, and go through the two-factor authentication.

I request a domestic pass.

It says it expires in two days.

I can download it, or have it emailed.

Both options have the two-day expiry date on it.

My entire point is that there appears to be a flaw/discrepancy in the system. It seems to work fine for you. It doesn't work fine for me.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covi...

Edit: let us know how you get on. Does sound a bit like something is broken so interesting to see if the letter works.

Post edited at 19:05

Done that. We'll see what happens.

Though they really ought to produce the same result, using the same database and logic.

I note there is no mention of the letter service on the covid pass website I linked...

BTW, the downloaded or emailed passes say they are valid for 30 days from issue, but the expiry date is always two days.

Post edited at 19:30

I found it linked here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/

Which is where you get to if you search. Although I'll give you it's nowhere near as prominent as the digital option, there is a link disguised in a paragraph of text.

> Edit: let us know how you get on. Does sound a bit like something is broken so interesting to see if the letter works.

Letter arrived, allegedly dated 6th December. It doesn't have my booster on it (5th December...).

It doesn't have an expiry date. It doesn't have a QR code.

It's all a bit silly, isn't it; why are the letter & app/website behaving differently?

As per the text on the website you requested a pass letter from

”Booster vaccinations do not show in the NHS COVID Pass letter. They do show in the digital NHS COVID Pass.”

In reply to Currently Resting:

"It's all a bit silly, isn't it; why are the letter & app/website behaving differently?"...

Thanks for following up.

I can understand why the booster wouldn't have made it on there given the timestamps. Moderately annoying but I'm sure they'll update the system and you'll be able to get a letter with the booster on once those are a thing.

> "It's all a bit silly, isn't it; why are the letter & app/website behaving differently?"...

Not something anyone can answer other than the people involved in building the systems. But likely a symptom of legacy IT development where individual applications are data silos with inflexible or non existent ways of interfacing between them.

Post edited at 21:03
 Derek Furze 19 Dec 2021

Just for reassurance and to prevent you upgrading your user name, my wife just applied for the digital pass and it expires in two days 😀

yorkshire_lad2 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Currently Resting:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-covid-pass
"From 10 December, if you require non-digital proof of your booster vaccination for international travel, you can order an NHS COVID Pass letter via the NHS 119 service or via NHS.UK. Your letter will show a 2D barcode for each vaccination you’ve received, including your booster vaccination."

However, talking to 119, whether the letter includes the booster can be a bit hit and miss.  It seems there have been one or two problems in respect of documenting the booster in the letters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...