Cost of scaffolding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 17 Sep 2020

I need to install a new window on a third floor flat  (in London)and will need scaffolding to do it.  I'm thinking a tower may suffice for a couple of days. Scaffolders seem to demand to visit before giving even a ballpark estimate. Can anyone suggest a ball park number for the cost of the such scaffolding for a couple(?) of days.

abr1966 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Can't give an answer but ive just been quoted £480 as the cheapest I could get for chimney stack scaffolding! I asked how much for a tower and it was an extra £270....that's for a week...Peak area.

jasonC abroad 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Had some a couple of years ago replacing roof on an extension, so 3rd story. Covered the back of the house so about 4 metres wide.  It cost £600 for 2 weeks, also in London.

Didn't get any other quotes but sort of wish I had.

Andy Hardy 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

I guess scaffolders will be looking at things like "can I get my truck on site / right outside"? and "is there a massive f-off hole to the basement where the legs have to go?" etc.

Also, I have only ever replaced 1 window, in an upstairs bedroom but we did it from inside (I'm guessing you have already discounted that as an option!)

tjdodd 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Are you sure you need scaffolding?  When I had windows replaced it was mainly from inside.  I think they just needed a ladder outside for minor bits and pieces.

mattc 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

I had a sky light fitted in the loft room and it was all done from the inside. 

nikoid 17 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

> Are you sure you need scaffolding?  When I had windows replaced it was mainly from inside.  I think they just needed a ladder outside for minor bits and pieces.

I'm pretty sure a reputable outfit would not allow working off a ladder three floors up these days.

OP Postmanpat 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thanks folks. The glazier says it needs scaffolding in case things fall outwards on to the area (garbage collection) below. Why he can't give me a ballpark estimate of the cost of scaffolding God alone knows.

Anyway, sounds like no more than a grand max , which I can reluctantly stomach.

munkins 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

I had way more scaffolding put up than that for 200 quid. Entire back run of a large 4 bed house, at roof height for solar. Put it up in April and took it down in September, lockdown kept it there doing nothing for months. No problems with the scaffolders. This is North east mind.

summo 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

I expect they will just tiger saw the old one out in pieces. If they aren't competent enough to do it safely, offer to be grounds man below whilst they remove it. 

Dax H 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

If your guy is happy with a tower scaffold have a look at HSS hire. 

8 meter advanced rail (easier and safer to build) tower for £270 plus vat per week. 

Dave B 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Often the time the scaffold is up is immaterial. The cost round here is based on the time to go up and the time to go down. 

I've had quotes of £1200 to £600 for a job on our home. I'd say about £400 would have covered one entire elevation at 2.5 storeys high in East Kent, so probably double for you knowing London prices!  

Post edited at 07:03
 muppetfilter 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

What kind of window ? Plastic or wood with sealed unit ? As said above it can all be done from the inside with all the sea lent done before the glass go’s in. 

Trangia 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Have you considered hiring a cherry picker, access allowing? If the bulk of the work can be done from the inside, it may only need an hour or two for exterior making good?

Dax H 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave B:

That depends on the company, some charge to put up and dismantle plus a weekly hire rate, other just charge for putting up and taking down again, their build costs tend to be higher but with no rental it can work out well over longer periods. 

One thing to remember, a scaffold needs a inspection once a week if its used for commercial purposes. I know its domestic for the OP but if he is employing a builder then it becomes commercial 

Toerag 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave B:

> Often the time the scaffold is up is immaterial. The cost round here is based on the time to go up and the time to go down. 

Domestic jobs here invariably don't have a time cost because the scaffolders are short of storage space - they'd rather leave the scaffold up until they need it for another job. People often have to complain lots to get it taken away.

The New NickB 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Seems like a good solution, but because the cherry picker requires an IPAF licence, which the glazier probably hasn’t got, it will need an operator. Costs couple soon spiral, plus people tend to be quite set in the ways that they work and probably don’t want to be completely rehashing their methodology and associated risk assessments for a relatively small job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...