Convert pdf 2 Word/capture image from pdf 4 use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 16 Feb 2021

I'm wanting to somehow either convert a pdf to a word document, so that I can use images from it for in a presentation, or just find a way to be able to hilight the images from them towards copying and pasting them. I'll be crediting the source I have found, I'd just like to be able to use the content.

Has anybody any thoughts on how to do this? I believe I am using Windows 10.

Many thanks.

marsbar 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

The easiest and least technical option is to screenshot the bit you want. 

freeflyer 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Type 'snip' into the search bar in Windows, then use the snipping tool to copy the images into the clipboard.

%windir%/system32/SnippingTool.exe

Replace the / with a normal Windows backslash, as the forum editor is removing them as fast as I type them!

ff

Post edited at 15:45
OP Timmd 16 Feb 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Ta, I've not learned how to do that yet, but that could be a plan. Google images and using the description in the pdf could be another approach, in finding similar images, or the same images.

Thanks

marsbar 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Either use the snipping tool as described above, or find the print screen button on your keyboard.  

Find the image you want, zoom it nice and big on your monitor, then press print screen.  

Now open a word document, I usually use a blank one, and right click and paste.  

It should paste everything you saw on the monitor as a picture.  Click on the picture and look for the crop tool at the top.  

Click crop and the corners should change to L shapes.  Move them to where you want them and crop the picture.  Then you can copy and paste the picture wherever you want it in your document.  

Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Can't you just left-click the image in the pdf, and get a little dropdown menu including "copy"? 

marsbar 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

https://sm.pcmag.com/t/pcmag_uk/photo/u/use-the-pr/use-the-print-screen-key...

I think sometimes it's at the top? Can't remember and I'm on a phone.  Anyway you will see it somewhere.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/edit-images-in-microsoft-word/amp/

marsbar 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Well that's easier.  

In reply to Timmd:

Another way to convert a whole pdf file is to pay Adobe. 

cb294 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

No need to submit to the Adobe daylight robbery, I have switched here

https://www.ilovepdf.com/  

for all the things I did using Acrobat Pro until the CS6 version I had paid for stopped working with my new computer.

Similarly, Photoshop and Illustrator have been binned for GIMP and Inkscape. Much better than renting the creative suite, Adobe can go do one with their pricing model.

Now, for a good alternative to EndNote, ideally an old version that did JUST the bibliography management and citation formatting, not all the other crap...

CB

In reply to cb294:

Thanks, I was fishing on behalf of the OP 

cb294 16 Feb 2021

The dislike is not mine!

Anyway, I am completely pissed of and done with Adobe. I do not want stupid weekly updates, I just want software that does its job reliably once I have learned how to use it!

I am happy to pay for that, once, and also believe that the publisher of software should remain responsible for fixing safety issues even if they become known only later, but that is about it.

Switching to open source saves several thousand Euros a year for my lab, even with educational rebates. I will continue to pay for reliable, good software, but I will not accept subscription models.

CB

AndyC 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

If you have a reasonably recent version of Word, just use it to open the PDF.  It should convert the images as well as text.

Removed User 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

If you need high res images you can use the snapshot tool in acrobat reader. You can set the dpi, though obviously there's no point in setting higher than the bitmap you are capturing.

OP Timmd 16 Feb 2021

It turns out adobe do a free conversion service for members/past users, so I uploaded the file and downloaded it as a word file for the images. 

Convenient and I didn't need to pay, so that's quite handy.

Post edited at 19:39
 Naechi 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

I use lightshot - which is amazing... basically snipping tool but (I think) easier to use...

https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...