Conservative Party 2010 to present day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Mar 2019

Has there ever been a political party more destructive to its own country than this one? Any political historians care to chip in?

stevieb 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The government of Francisco Solano López has a pretty good claim on this one

edit for info: 

president of Paraguay who started a war that ended with 70% of the adult male population dead and a loss of territory. 

I suppose the current shenanigans could end up with losing 1/3 of the UK. 

Post edited at 07:41
 profitofdoom 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Has there ever been a political party more destructive to its own country than this one? Any political historians care to chip in?

"Ever" is a long time. Germany, Italy, Cambodia, Venezuela, Burma, Romania spring to mind

Philip 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Destructive to themselves. Considering the referendum was to kill off UKIP and stop the split, they've gone from a bunch of useless racist bastards, to three groups now, the useless, the racists, and the bastards.

pec 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Has there ever been a political party more destructive to its own country than this one? Any political historians care to chip in?

This one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_government,_1974%E2%80%931979

"inflation which had run into double digits before Labour came to power was now above 20%. It would remain high for the rest of this ministry, rarely falling below 10%."

"Unemployment was now well in excess of 1,000,000 people, whereas it had been less than 600,000 at the start of the decade"

"In 1976, Britain faced financial crisis. The Labour government was forced to apply to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a loan of nearly $4,000,000,000."

"By September 1978,  . . . . unemployment now stood at a post-war high of 1,500,000."

"The union strikes affected Britain during the Winter of Discontent (1978–79) as public services ground to a halt. Furthermore, inflation was back in double digits"

robal 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

the chinese communist party.....

the workers party of north korea....

Libya, Syria, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Venezuela..... 

the conservatives are nothing in comparison to the people involved in these countries, be greatful they aren't.

pasbury 14 Mar 2019
In reply to pec:

If you actually read all of that wikipedia entry the picture is more nuanced. The government in the end achieved a recovery. They also pursued reasonably progressive social policies. They acted with some integrity.

To compare them to current government of imbeciles and lunatics is a great insult.

Iamgregp 14 Mar 2019
In reply to robal:

Jesus, we're taking solace from the fact the government isn't as bad as that of despotic dictatorships such as these.

UK politics in 2019 eh? 

Lusk 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

If the country won't vote a Labour Govt in, I'd be happy with a military coup at the moment.

subtle 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> If the country won't vote a Labour Govt in, I'd be happy with a military coup at the moment.

To be honest I would be happy with a coo in government than those in charge at present

jkarran 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> If the country won't vote a Labour Govt in, I'd be happy with a military coup at the moment.

Posts like these are always useful as reminders. Thanks.

jk

stevieb 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

It has to be said, that military coups aren't traditionally left wing

Pefa 14 Mar 2019
In reply to robal:

> the chinese communist party.....

Kicked the imperialists out that had caused centuries of starvations and wars. 

> the workers party of north korea....

As above and freeing the country of Japanese fascists. Free health care, free education, full literacy etc

> Libya, Syria, Iraq,

All destroyed by the Tories and their Tory pal Blair. 

> Zimbabwe, Venezuela..... 

1) occupied by British, plundered and stolen for what? Over 100 years then rebuiding. 

2) Nationalising the oil so the profits go to the people of Venezuela and not a bunch of US puppet oligarchs and the pockets of US big oil. 

> the conservatives are nothing in comparison to the people involved in these countries, be greatful they aren't.

The Tories and their ilk create the conditions in those other countries that facilitate their liberation by the people (victims) of these countries. 

dread-i 14 Mar 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> It has to be said, that military coups aren't traditionally left wing

But they are not as right wing as some of the tories mouthing off on tv.

In some countries the military has stepped in to prevent what they see as damage to the country. Here we have a ruling party, with members who actively want to pursue a path that they know has already caused damage and will continue to cause damage long into the future.

toad 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The problems start when you let them vote with their conscience.  Its like letting me vote with my dorsal fin.

pasbury 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> If the country won't vote a Labour Govt in, I'd be happy with a military coup at the moment

I don't think they've got enough equipment for that sort of mission.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Germany probably has to take the all-time historical prize for the damage they brought on themselves, but in the present day, thanks all the same, Yanis, for the consoling observation that at least we're not quite as bad as Paraguay. That's made me feel just a little bit better. 

Post edited at 18:58
 pec 14 Mar 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> If you actually read all of that wikipedia entry the picture is more nuanced. The government in the end achieved a recovery. They also pursued reasonably progressive social policies. They acted with some integrity.

> To compare them to current government of imbeciles and lunatics is a great insult.

Actually if you think about the current government since 2010 its also more nuanced because no government is entirely good or entirely bad even if zealots like to think so.

Whilst I wouldn't disagree that the current government ar making a spectacular mess of the Brexit process there are good reasons to suppose it would have got most governments into trouble. But on the other hand we have record low unemployment, record high employment, continued low inflation, wage growth is now outstripping inflation and so on. On social policy they also introduced gay marriage.

Of course we could trade good and bad points all day but if you weren't watching the news (re Brexit) you wouldn't actually know anything was happening. In the late 70's you couldn't fail to notice the disaster around you because the rubbish was piled up in the streets, the army were driving around in green godesses because the fire brigade were on strike, schools were shut because the fuel drivers were on strike and unless you were living in a tent you couldn't help but notice that the lights kept going out (and everything else that used electricity).

Pefa 14 Mar 2019
In reply to pec:

The current government are lying about the unemployment figures as according to the ONS the figure is really 13% unemployment not 4.5 %. 

https://amp.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in...

Post edited at 19:52
Lusk 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> The current government are lying about the unemployment figures as according to the ONS the figure is really 13% unemployment not 4.5 %. 

I can well believe that, at least double whatever the latest number is.
At 4%, on official figures, there are still around 1.4 million people 'officially' out of work, but it seems to be deemed acceptable because the unemployment rate of 4% is the lowest ever.

Have you noticed these days that the percentage rate is always broadcast not the actual (hahahaha) figure?

pec 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> The current government are lying about the unemployment figures as according to the ONS the figure is really 13%

Given the utter drivel in your post above in which you actually try and defend North Korea and blame the entire ills of the world on the Conservative party, even to the extent of branding anyone who's ever done anything bad as a Tory when quite obviouisly they weren't I think its pretty clear that the liar round here is the self loathing, Britain hating, deluded communist who popped up on these forums a couple of weeks ago.

You must be the latest incarnation of Shona/Gudrun/Working Class Lass.

Pefa 14 Mar 2019
In reply to pec:

Pefa is the name, pleased to meet you. 

I don't have to justify my love of Britain to anyone so I won't and I certainly don't have to justify telling the truth. 

jkarran 15 Mar 2019
In reply to pec:

> Of course we could trade good and bad points all day but if you weren't watching the news (re Brexit) you wouldn't actually know anything was happening. In the late 70's you couldn't fail to notice the disaster around you because the rubbish was piled up in the streets, the army were driving around in green godesses because the fire brigade were on strike, schools were shut because the fuel drivers were on strike and unless you were living in a tent you couldn't help but notice that the lights kept going out (and everything else that used electricity).

Two weeks and counting... I *almost* can't wait.

jk

neilh 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Lusk:

As an employer who struggles to even get unskilled labour at above average pay rates, my view is that the unemployment rate is spot on at the moment. Otherwise I would have people crawling all over me for jobs just like when the economy is bad . I see no evidence at all of this. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...