Confusing message cancellation box.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 31 Mar 2021

When you click "cancel" on a message, you get a box asking whether you are sure you want to cancel it, with two options "ok" and "cancel". It turns out that clicking "cancel" does not cancel the message. Obviously this is endlessly confusing. Could the options be changed to "yes" and "no" or something else making sense please!

Post edited at 12:57
 Dave B 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

In the old Apple guidelines you'd have the command word and the other option as cancel...

That works with 'print' and 'cancel' ....

Not so much here...

Options of 'cancel' and 'cancel', but one cancels and the other cancels the cancel.

The command word was on the right.. 

Post edited at 20:27
Removed User 01 Apr 2021

Walking round the Botanic Gardens yesterday I came across a sign saying "No Exit". There were also "No Entry" signs around.

I have no idea really.

Funnily enough I’m currently re-writing all the code to do with creating and editing posts. Mainly to streamline it all through API.

this confusing alert box seemed silly to me. Unfortunately the in built browser “confirm” boxes don’t allow the text the button Suse’s to be defined.

I actually decided I would swap the the actions the buttons do, and made the text hopefully less confusing. But we are somewhat restricted as the text is fixed as “cancel” and “ok”.

my current thinking for the text is:

”You have an unsent message, are you sure you want to proceed? Click ok to proceed and delete your unsent message. Click cancel to continue editing.”

May yet change, but should be live in a few weeks

Snyggapa 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

> ”You have an unsent message, are you sure you want to proceed? Click ok to proceed and delete your unsent message. Click cancel to continue editing.”

"Click ok to delete your unsent message or click cancel to return to editing your message"

reads cleaner to me and removed the mental gymnastics of cancelling to continue

OP Robert Durran 01 Apr 2021

I think the key thing is to change the original cancel to something else so that there are not two cancels. Abandon maybe?

Yep fair point, I think Snyggapa’s message is a good improvement to address that issue

cheers both

henwardian 01 Apr 2021

Why don't you change it to "Your lovingly curated message will never see freedom if you leave this page. Do you really want the poor little message to be plunged into a heartless abyss from whence there is no return?!"

OP Robert Durran 02 Apr 2021
In reply to henwardian:

> Why don't you change it to "Your lovingly curated message will never see freedom if you leave this page. Do you really want the poor little message to be plunged into a heartless abyss from whence there is no return?!"

If it's on one of the violence against women threads that is probably the safest place for it however lovingly curated and well-meaning

Dave B 02 Apr 2021
In reply to henwardian:

'Confirm message to /dev/null'

> If it's on one of the violence against women threads that is probably the safest place for it

Bloody cancel culture...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...