/ Companies not deleting your email address.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy 1902 11 Jul 2019

So what is the score?

Unsubsribed several years ago, no emails until today, they have just launched a 'new/revamped website and I get an email informing me so. Email sent to company but was wondering about the legal side.

(not going to take any action unless they will not delete my info from their database)

topper133 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy 1902:

Depends where the company is based, UK you can complain to the ICO. Europe wide GDPR is big at the moment but not likely to do much unless they're a big player (so can have big fines).

I also find it frustrating but it's easier just to block their domain in your email program or system and move on with your life.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/marketing-emails

Post edited at 16:51
Andy 1902 11 Jul 2019
In reply to topper133:

Tis a UK based well known 'mountaineering' company.

Martin W 12 Jul 2019
In reply to topper133:

> Depends where the company is based, UK you can complain to the ICO.

Wherever they are based you can complain to the ICO - it's the data protection regulatory authority for the UK.  Under GDPR the ICO is responsible for liaising with the regulatory authorities in other EU states.  (In theory GDPR applies to any data controller anywhere if the data subject is an EU citizen but AFAIK that is yet to be tested.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.