common drugs complicating virus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 16 Mar 2020

In connection with this - I can't understand why there is no common sense advice to chop sugar and alcohol out of diet. Both are known to weaken the immune system and both are known to increase problems of inflammation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-a...

A large sector of society pops such pills like smarties - and many in the susceptible group are those with serious health probs (cancer et al) - who may well be taking such drugs.

In reply to LeeWood:

Interesting, I will have to re evaluate my go to drug when i'm feeling under the weather (Nurofen cold and flu).

lorentz 16 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

That is very interesting. Thanks for posting. Sadly I can't get either in the shops round my way at the moment! Empty shelves syndrome!

girlymonkey 16 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Is there proof of sugar and alcohol weakening the immune system? And all sugars or just processed white granuals? Surely the fibre and vitamins in fruit will so some good to the immune system, so do they cancel out the effect? What about honey?

Not arguing, just asking. I have cut out processed sugars and never drank anyway, but I do eat fruit and occasionally honey

cathsullivan 16 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Alcohol I think yes. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20983-too-much-booze-blunts-your-imm...

For the reasons you mention I imagine it's more complex with 'sugar'.

gezebo 16 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood

May be of some interest to folk with high bp although advice is not to take anti-inflammatories anyway and not take bp tablets when ill anyway. 
https://www.escardio.org/Councils/Council-on-Hypertension-(CHT)/News/positi...

krikoman 16 Mar 2020
In reply to cathsullivan:

how much is too much?

the article is vague in the least and only mentions chronic drinkers, which may very well have other issues which cause weakening of their immune systems.

Post edited at 11:12
 wercat 16 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Thank you for posting this - I have some problems for which I take sometimes Ibuprufen and now my choice of when to take it may be better informed.

yorkshireman 16 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

I think it was the French government that first raised this. The French have a more cautious approach to over the counter drugs anyway (you can only buy Ibuprofen and paracetemol in pharmacies which normally annoys me) but it was an eye opener for me as take it as an antiinflammatory eg after a long run - I've cut down now.

In reply to LeeWood:

They should maybe think about taking tobacco off the shelves during the quarantine to try and give people's lungs a chance to improve.  Maybe alcohol and sweets as well if there's a real issue.

Other interesting thing is some people believe reason it is so bad in Italy is heavy air pollution with particulates.  If we lock down for a couple of months there will be far less diesel vehicles moving and maybe our lungs will be in a better condition.  Also, lockdown will knock back other cold and flu infections as a side effect.   

We could be combining lock down with restricting unhealthy things reaching shops, maybe issuing vitamins or supplements and trying to get population as healthy as possible.

wercat 16 Mar 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

and pilot universal basic income to replace the benefits system to help  those worst affected by the economic consequences

Rigid Raider 16 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

This would be a great opportunity to test the effectiveness of zinc, which is thought to strengthen the immune system. 

In reply to wercat:

> and pilot universal basic income to replace the benefits system to help  those worst affected by the economic consequences

Yes.  If this is going to last for months and months they could offer old fashioned student grants of enough money to live off to anyone who wanted to take an online university course (or other type of course) so people are kept busy while they are confined at home.

OP LeeWood 16 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Is there proof of sugar and alcohol weakening the immune system? And all sugars or just processed white granuals? Surely the fibre and vitamins in fruit will so some good to the immune system, so do they cancel out the effect? What about honey?

Here's a link - which may not satisfy everyone, ie. is it mainstream 

https://blog.bioticsresearch.com/does-sugar-weaken-the-immune-system

Personally through observing my own reactions rate sugar as the No1 enemy; I use honey with great caution and dates/fruit no issue. So IMHO you are right, partly because its hard to overdose on sugar accompanied by natural fibre. No-one ever got diabetes from chewing sugar cane ! The probs come in using it as an extract, ditto High Fructose Corn Syrup.

OP LeeWood 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> This would be a great opportunity to test the effectiveness of zinc, which is thought to strengthen the immune system. 

Agreed. But don't forget sugar et al are depletors - so best to chop them first !

krikoman 18 Mar 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

there no evidence for this AFAIK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...