Coasteering route suggestion for Anglesey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 12 Aug 2020

Got a week's holiday coming up, would like to have a go at an easy coasteering route on Anglesey, anyone got any suggestions for route guides online anywhere?

rustaldo 12 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

It's not technically a "coasteering route" - but if you can get hold of (or go into a shop and open) a copy of GroundUp - Gogarth North there is a sea level traverse described in the back which I always fancied.. never got round to trying it, but it mentions a tunnel in the back of a sea cave towards north stack which cuts all the way through under the headland to the other side.. 

OP JayPee630 12 Aug 2020
In reply to rustaldo:

Thanks, needs to be a non-roped sea level thing though, ideally with some swimming and jumping in as well as some low level traversing.

Whoopdeedoo 12 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

Right hand rocks of Cable Bay are really easy and accessible. 

The Range and Rhoscolyn on Holy Island are  a little trickier but often used as a group venue for local centres with more able groups.

Neither need roping

Stichtplate 12 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

Anglesey outdoors will take you round for 3 hours at £30 per head, including wetsuits, helmets, life jackets, with showering facilities and free cake and tea afterwards.

Pretty good value all considered, and excellent guides who’ll save you a lot of faff and potentially painful mistakes.

gezebo 12 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

Porth Dafach. Left or right side is pretty straightforward with lots of get outs at most states of the tide. We are just coming off springs at the moment and I’d avoid high tide as some features are hidden. No ropes required. A few more jumps on the left side but equally some very good features on the right.

If the sea is calm with little swell it’s a lovely place to explore. If it’s bigger there are things to do but you’d need a little more care and experience. 

rhoscolyn is also good as is the range. It really depends on your experience and expectations though. Tbh most of the area between the places meantime’s above could be seen as a ‘coasteering’ venue but the ones I’ve named are group type places and are that because of the good access, safe(ish) jumps etc and the rest.... 

OP JayPee630 13 Aug 2020
In reply to gezebo:

Thanks, that sounds perfect. We'll go and have a look and see what we reckon.

Garston 13 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

Took the young uns left from Rhosneigr beach today round the rocks. Took around 3 hours (due to stopping a lot to play) and found quite a few places to jump off. Really good mix of swimming and safe scrambling. Even found an area of 100s of huge spider crabs which had the kids screaming and me laughing like the mean parent I am. Red arrows practising overhead which was nice of them! 
Feel free to ask if I can help at all.

cheers

chris

OP JayPee630 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Garston:

Thanks, that sounds perfect. What was your GR for the start point, and did you just reverse the route back to the beach, or finish somewhere else?

Post edited at 07:26
 Garston 14 Aug 2020
In reply to JayPee630:

We lugged the usual beach stuff down past the shops in Rhosneigr and left the mums on the beach and just walked down the sand to Lat 53.2276 Long -4.5273. From there swam across the little shallow bay about 100 yards and just made our way around the rocks. Mixture of swimming and walking and 3 places found to jump off. Ended up at about 53.2257 -4.5316 before turning around. Great fun, really safe and varied. Just take a mask to look at the hundreds of spider crabs early on and to check the depths before jumping! I can pm my mobile quite happily if you want to ask anything. Have fun!!

Post edited at 21:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...