CNC routers kits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning, 

I've been looking at one of these 3018 CNC router and Lazer engraver kits from the bay.

Now for the cash it seems a nice little project to build and fun to play with for the small scale hobbyist.

The videos I saw reflect this however I wondered if anyone had any experience with one.

The 3d printer I built is still going strong and a fantastic addition to a workshop.

TWS

db99 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

We have just bought 2 of the laser engravers at work, a small 3W and a larger 7W version.

They were straightforward to build, just basic assembly jobs so if you have built a 3D printer you will have no problems.

They are really cheap but seem to work well, better than I anticipated for the money we paid, with a bit of trial and error we got acceptable results on most materials we engraved. The software is an absolute nightmare though!

Daniel.

Oceanrower 20 Jul 2020
In reply to db99:

Do you have a recommendation? What make is the larger one? Many thanks.

Post edited at 19:03
 db99 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0833ZH2CY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0827ND23J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o...

I have only used the smaller one in anger and it worked pretty well. I don't think the brand makes too much difference as all engravers I have looked at seem to be assembled out of the same kit of components, just with a different power laser module (these seem to be the same make too). The software is the same for both of the above as well. The only concern I currently have is about longevity, I doubt either will last long!

I would choose one based on the projects I had, e.g. laser power and work area.

Daniel.

David Riley 21 Jul 2020
In reply to db99:

Are these lasers any good for cutting self adhesive plastic labels ?   I imagine the edges would not look as good as a mechanical cut ? 

duchessofmalfi 21 Jul 2020

Most of these products do not conform to UK laser safety standards (by a long way) - don't go blind folks, please be very careful - they are thousands of times above the safety limit and by rights they should not be sold in the UK.

Removed User 21 Jul 2020
In reply to David Riley:

Most marquetry these days is done using laser cuts-the edges are perfect.

David Riley 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Thanks.   Possibly it would work with plastic too then.

Please get one TWS and I'll come over and look (carefully).

Removed User 21 Jul 2020
In reply to David Riley:

Cannot vouch for that. In any case, given the expense I would be inclined to ask for a demo before shelling out.

db99 21 Jul 2020
In reply to David Riley:

Most of our tests have been done on plastic and the edges have not been that precise. It may just take very careful adjustment of the laser power and cutting depth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...