Clueless squirrel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 19 Sep 2020

A small squirrel apparently fell in love with me in the garden yesterday - followed me around, started climbing up my leg, and then sat in the apple tree squeaking at me. We had a little conversation, and when I eventually turned away it actually jumped on to my back. Whence I removed it, gently, and it sat in my hand for a bit. It seemed a bit sleepy. I did say to it that there were predators about and it needed to re-think its life...

wercat 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Have you become its mother?

NIGBEE 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I want a clueless squirrel as well!

bensilvestre 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Apparently on occasion when a young squirrel loses its mother they will latch on to a human for support. This happened to a friend of my wife in Sheffield and she took it home to nurse it and wound up with a pet squirrel for most of lockdown!

Yanis Nayu 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Amazing!

tjdodd 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> A small squirrel apparently fell in love with me in the garden yesterday - followed me around, started climbing up my leg, and then sat in the apple tree squeaking at me. We had a little conversation, and when I eventually turned away it actually jumped on to my back. Whence I removed it, gently, and it sat in my hand for a bit. It seemed a bit sleepy. I did say to it that there were predators about and it needed to re-think its life...

And the squirrel has been posting tonight on uksquirrel.com to say

"Clueless human. 

Had a great time today pestering this human.  Followed her around, ran up her leg and jumped on her back.  I even got her to pretend to have a conversation with me.  How crazy must she have looked.  Got bored in the end though so pretended to fall asleep to get rid of her."

Post edited at 22:43
 tjdodd 19 Sep 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

From the amazing Rick and Morty, here is what squirrels are really saying

youtube.com/watch?v=MziwbQv9zQ0&

In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think squirrels are very intelligent. I saw one once outwitting a cat in a brilliant way. There was a squirrel on the garden lawn and a cat suddenly appeared on the fence. The squirrel saw it and froze. Cat jumped down onto lawn. There was a stand off. Incredibly, the squirrel advanced slightly towards it and to one side. The cat went down ready to pounce, looking like a coiled spring. The squirrel kind of stared at it. Completely stationary. The cat was obviously thinking: the squirrel's got only two ways to go now: turn and run (and I'll get it) or dart off sideways, in which case I'll also probably get it. It didn't do either of those things, but something the cat had obviously not thought of. Like lightning, it went almost straight towards it and past it, and because the cat was hunkered down and facing the wrong way it just didn't have time to spring up and turn around. What the cat also hadn't realised was that the squirrel was much nearer the fence behind the cat (than the one on the opposite side of the lawn). It was just totally outwitted. It should have been so easy for the cat.

Post edited at 22:58
Removed User 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I saw a cat chase a squirrel up a high thin tree, the cat got as high as it could and was really uncomfortable.  That's when the squirrel turned around ran down the tree and over the cat.                 It stopped on the cats back long enough to have a good chew on it.   The cat was howling with pain and frustration.

JimR 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

I walk the dogs through some woods, the squirrels throw acorns at the dogs 😀

OP BusyLizzie 20 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Marvellous, thank you. I must log in to uksquirrel.com and see what sort of replies he got.

In reply to wercat:

> Have you become its mother?

I think that was what he wanted! Domestic authorities would not allow him indoors so I didn't want him to get too attached.

In reply to tjdodd:

Thank you for bringing Rick and Morty into my life!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...