Cloud based storage service recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jasonC abroad 15 Feb 2020

Hello

Looking for recommendation for saving data via the internet.

Just had a perfect storm of my laptop and the external backup both dying, so I'm looking for a better solution to back up my data and also my daughters.

I've been looking around but would just like some personal recommendations.

Any good ones?

Thanks

Jason

Post edited at 13:28
 Luke90 15 Feb 2020
In reply to jasonC abroad:

It's worth bearing in mind that there are two very different types of cloud storage. Storage for syncing and accessibility across multiple devices (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, iCloud etc.) and then true backup storage (iDrive, Backblaze, SpiderOak etc.).

It sounds like you should be looking at the latter category, though you'll probably get some recommendations for the former anyway.

The best option really depends on how much data you need to backup and whether it's all on one computer or spread across two or more, because different services have different pricing models. It's also worth thinking about your upload and download speeds because they will control how long the initial backup takes and how long recovery would take in a worst case scenario.

OP jasonC abroad 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks your right I am looking at option 2, probably for about 4 laptops, I'm mainly concerned about the data being backed up than synced and accessible.

We are quite lucky that our broadband is incredibly fast at least for download, so that is not really a worry.

Snyggapa 15 Feb 2020
In reply to jasonC abroad:

I use cloudberry freeware version (now has a new name but still a free version for personal use)

https://www.msp360.com/backup/windows/desktop.aspx

And an aws S3 storage account for the storage. You do need a bit of an idea what you are doing though, it's set and forget but needs a bit of work to 'set' - mostly on the aws side. If you are not confident then maybe not for you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...