Climbing with Spondylolisthesis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 im off 04 Jul 2022

Got grade 1 spondylolisthesis. Been bloody painful for 3m but easing.

Had MRI etc and proper diagnosis. Seen a neurosurgeon. Fusion is an option if keeps troubling me.

Anyone else got this on the go. A big part of me thinks it's time to stick to just gentle climbing and non concussive sports....road cycling. 

Anyone had fusions? And after this I guess you need to again be pretty gentle on yourself from then on.

I'm doing the physio pilates etc. Not seen a chiropractor or osteopath???? 

51 year old

In reply to im off:

There was a thread about it not so long ago but you might need the correct spelling to search for it. (Note: my partner has it so I am not taking the mick!)

hughg 05 Jul 2022
In reply to im off:

Got a grade 2 diagnosed about 8 years ago. Generally fine bouldering, running, cycling, etc, although I'm ten years younger than you. Only thing to be careful of is doing something that puts the spine suddenly into extension (diving off a springboard was an unpleasant experience). 

Stick with the physio (I still do 15 mins every day), concentrate on sitting position, get a good chair and keep moving around.

OP im off 06 Jul 2022
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

How do you spell it? 🤷😂.

In reply to im off:

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Ankylosing spondylitis. I didn't realise that spondylolisthesis was something different, although fairly similar!

ro8x 07 Jul 2022

A fellow AS'er here and I read it as the same tbh! 

OP im off 07 Jul 2022

Ah. Yeah no probs. 

jack_44 07 Jul 2022
In reply to im off:

A few bits of advice that might help.

A spondylolisthesis (especially with lower degrees of translation) really isn't life limiting. Sometimes they do show up incidentally, so there's is no guarantee what was seen on your MRI is the sole cause of any back pain. 

You mentioned you've seen a neurosurgeon, which is an interesting pathway (would expect you to have been seen by orthopaedics). You didn't mention any leg symptoms, which would be the only parameter for considering surgery. If it's localised low back pain, surgery isn't an option and I'd be curious as to why this would be advised. A spinal fusion is fundamentally a huge, life-changing surgery.

As for exercise, your physio should have you doing lots of flexion-based strengthening work. This will see you right. The worst thing you can do is lessen the physical activity you do. A finding such as yours isn't a trigger to be less active, if anything it's quite the opposite. 

As for climbing, generally positions of extension would be discouraged. So this might be avoiding sustained steep, overhanging routes or really steep roof problems that require a lot of extension just for the time that your back is sore. Though this shouldn't be ruled out if you progress well with the strengthening work. But other than that, it shouldn't impact your climbing. 

Hope this helps and all the best for getting up and running.

OP im off 07 Jul 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Cheers. Yeah, I referred myself to spire to see a back surgeon mainly cos I was 8 w with severe pain, sciatica, tingling legs....etc. I wanted to make sure being conservative was ok really. The fella I saw is a neurosurgeon but yeah they seemed to have alot or orthopaedic surgeons too doing same thing. 

I've got compressed bilat L5 nerve roots too as my facet joints have OA and I've got a synovial cyst bilat at this level. So MRI shows a narrowing. I guess my nerves get used to it or they don't.

So I think these MRI findings are the cause. Back pain and diagnosis seems a grey area for sure. 

I think if things don't settle or I get flare ups, surgery is an option.... Decompress and fuse.

I'm still keeping active. Not sure if going to settle. On week 10 now. I'll see what another 4w brings anyhow. I'm concerned what I've got right now is life changing. It is so far.

Thanks for reply.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...