Chiselling near Otley..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 18 Oct 2020

I’ve found the local climbing a bit hard since I moved to Yorkshire, so I thought I’d take advantage of a quiet Sunday afternoon and do some chiselling about 2 miles from Otley. I’m fairly pleased with the results and I’m pretty sure this will solve the problem..  I’m assuming this kind of thing is ok round here?

greg_may_ 18 Oct 2020
In reply to minimike:

1/10 must try harder.

Dr.S at work 18 Oct 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

More like 0.1/10 - very weak effort

Sean_J 18 Oct 2020
In reply to minimike:

Looks very nice I must admit

https://tinyurl.com/yytgvzav

OP minimike 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Except it’s all true.. want to see?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au9DqsCrQxUwg69rskKQ1gumtpT-iQ

Post edited at 16:56
 deacondeacon 18 Oct 2020
In reply to minimike:

Looks shit x

gethin_allen 19 Oct 2020
In reply to minimike:

Looking at the number of recently added chiselled monograms around alsmcliffe and ilkley I wouldn't be surprised if you were telling the truth.

Sat belaying on top of a route at ilkley quarry recently there was a father with his four young kids haing great fun trying to scratch their initials into the boulders in the middle. If it wasn't already chipped to hell and back I'd have said something, but as it was it was one scratch on top of another sadly.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Oct 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

Um... I'm not sure what argument you could use in Ilkley Quarry against chiselling given that it is a man made hole in the ground created by chiselling. Personally I'd be in favour of filling it in.

gethin_allen 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Um... I'm not sure what argument you could use in Ilkley Quarry against chiselling given that it is a man made hole in the ground created by chiselling. Personally I'd be in favour of filling it in.

well that was kind of my point in to saying anything, it's man made and there are chippings from 1850 ish already. Still, I wouldn't and wouldn't encourage anyone to start knocking chunks out of it. Another case of just because someone has, it doesn't make it right to continue.

As far as filling it in, there are some excellent routes in there and it would be a massive shame to see them go.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Oct 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

I may not have been entirely serious.

Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Of all the quarries to be filled in, Ilkley wouldn't be top of my list. 

It would be a bit further down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...