Chimney sweep - price?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 07 Sep 2018

Good morning fellow log-burner owners of the climbing community. Would you mind telling me what you pay to have your chimney swept? (Also, if you're Sheffield-based and could recommend a sweep that would be great!)

In reply to Alyson:

> Good morning fellow log-burner owners of the climbing community. Would you mind telling me what you pay to have your chimney swept? (Also, if you're Sheffield-based and could recommend a sweep that would be great!)

I have a really good guy who comes round once per year.  In fact, Im in his diary and I get a call from his wife every April to come and do it which is a nice touch.  He is very professional, a nice chap, exceptionally clean and careful and it costs me £40 for about 45 minutes of his time. 

Chris the Tall 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Terry Garvey - http://chimneysweepsheffield.com

Charges £75 for a woodburning stove

It was actually the first time we had ours done, after about 5 years, although we don't use it all that often. Nice guy, recommended by the shop on Abbeydale Road

Dave the Rave 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

£40 once a year for a semi detached open hearth.

plyometrics 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

About £45 from memory. 

mountainbagger 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> £40 once a year for a semi detached open hearth.

Yes, same here

Deadeye 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Not local, but £55 here might make you feel better!!

Removed User 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

My dad left me his brushes so i do mine every now and again as needed.

Jenny C 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Doesn't get you a certificate though, which might be required by your insurer. 

felt 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

It's very reasonable, isn't it? The serious money's when you need to get a pigeon out of your chimney.

OP Alyson 07 Sep 2018
In reply to mostly harmless:

Excellent. I've got a quote from this company and wanted to know if it sounded reasonable. Thanks for the replies everyone! 

(Though standard UKC thread protocol dictates that I should have at least one person telling me that I don't need my chimney sweeping or, even better, I shouldn't have installed a woodburner in the first place. I'll let you off this time)

Removed User 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Both my stoves have removable sections in the flue pipes. I've got my own brushes, rods and workshop hoover. Its not a difficult job. All done and dusted within an hour.

DerwentDiluted 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Alas since installing the stove small children no longer fit in the flue and the budget has increased from the 1.99 sufficient to purchase an enticing bag of haribo. We used SJ Sear & Son previously for around £45 and have just booked the above mentioned Terry Garvey based on a family recommendation as he also replaced cracked fire bricks. 

Removed User 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

Ar didn't know that 1 was needed, will have a look  next week in the small print. Cheers

MG 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

I'm told the DIY solution is to drag a gorsebush down the chimney...

OP Alyson 08 Sep 2018
In reply to MG:

Thank you, that's more like it!

Fozzy 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Ours was done last week for £50. That included a full sweep & vacuum out, checking of fire bricks & door rope, checking CO detector and a signed-off certificate at the end. 

marsbar 08 Sep 2018
In reply to MG:

Gorse?  Holly wrapped in the carpet from the boot of an octavia surely?  

marsbar 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

I think you should rip out the entire thing and replace it with a wind turbine on the roof.  You can keep warm by using a treadmill.  This way you will generate electricity and save on the cost of sweeping chimneys.  They never do a good job as they are too busy dancing on the rooftops.  

Flinticus 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Is this not an opportunity for you to get some climbing training inhouse and save money? I mean, what sort of climber are you?

In reply to marsbar:

> They never do a good job as they are too busy dancing on the rooftops.  

Ours is terrible for that - and his Cockney accent is atrocious too!

mrphilipoldham 08 Sep 2018
In reply to felt:

Dead or alive?

felt 08 Sep 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

It was alive after three or four days. But it was a bugger to get out, even with cameras attached to the rods. Can't imagine our pleasure when it flew away (or its). 

In reply to Alyson:

Harry Pennels of Nether Edge Stoves https://www.netheredgestoves.co.uk/

And he's a climber. 

OP Alyson 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> Harry Pennels of Nether Edge Stoves

> And he's a climber. 

The chimney's very narrow, I think I just need one who uses a brush...

balmybaldwin 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

Santa does it once a year for free

Sharp 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Both my stoves have removable sections in the flue pipes. I've got my own brushes, rods and workshop hoover. Its not a difficult job. All done and dusted within an hour.

Same here. Used to have a nice older man come and do it for £10 but never found anyone decent after that so I bought my own brush about 10 years ago. My stoves built into the wall so needs to be swept from the roof and most local sweepies wont go up ladders. I remember one company that had to have two employees with walkie talkies before they'd go on the roof and the costs just spiral out of control. Like you say, it's a quick job and better to do it a few times a year yourself than pay someone to do it once a year.

Post edited at 07:54
 mountainbagger 09 Sep 2018
In reply to Alyson:

> (Though standard UKC thread protocol dictates that I should have at least one person telling me that I don't need my chimney sweeping or, even better, I shouldn't have installed a woodburner in the first place. I'll let you off this time)

Since you posted that, protocol has been applied. I am pretty sure you got a clean sweep.

OP Alyson 09 Sep 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Since you posted that, protocol has been applied.

Yes it seems everyone has been brushing up on their skills

> I am pretty sure you got a clean sweep.

I admire your optimism but I haven't actually booked one yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...