Chillblains vs Covid Toe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Nov 2020

I've got chillblains which turned up 3 weeks ago. I didn't know what they were having never experienced them even as a habitual year round sandal wearer who has also done his fair share of winter mountaineering and always considered myself to have excellent circulation. Additionally, I haven't been out much lately though we do have a cold flagged floor in the kitchen and I am generally barefoot working from home in the house.

Anyway, I'm telling my Mum how weird it is and she said maybe it's 'Covid Toe'. I thought she was taking the piss, but apparently it's a thing - especially amongst those who are aysmptomatic. Her friends's son apparently has no symptoms except covid toe, and subsequently has a positive PCR result.

So my question is - are chillblains something you can be more susceptible to when you get older or have I got a spot of the ol' covid toe?!

Post edited at 10:06
 Andypeak 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

I've heard reports that COVID can thicken your blood making it very sticky and I would imagine that would effect circulation. 

I had mild covid symptoms in March (and a load of guys at work had a range of mild to moderate symptoms). 

Then in April/May I got covid toe (never had chilblains in my life). Also had a bout a month of brain fog and fatigue in October. 

Tim Sparrow 20 Nov 2020

Interesting. I have picked up frequent toe infections in the past few winters, the pain and redness lasting several weeks at times. Originally my GP thought it was a bacterial infection, but also tested for many other issues (gout and vasculitis amongst others) all negative. Then decided it might be chilblains but that doesn’t quite fit either. 

Suspect it is an ageing thing sadly, weakening circulation etc. Doubt it is Covid as my toes first went awry Jan 18. True to form, they have started to play up this winter already.

Removed User 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

I'm 'only' 40  currently so was expecting a bit more trouble free living!

Removed User 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Yeah thinking back over the last 3 weeks I had about 10 days of mega brain fog and generally feeling down with no motivation for work. I couldn't keep warm for several days also.

Mike Peacock 20 Nov 2020

> Additionally, I haven't been out much lately though we do have a cold flagged floor in the kitchen and I am generally barefoot working from home in the house.

Because of this have your feet been exposed to more cold for longer? I never had chillblains until I moved into a house with a cold stone kitchen floor at university. The first winter there they appeared.

mattmurphy 20 Nov 2020

> Yeah thinking back over the last 3 weeks I had about 10 days of mega brain fog and generally feeling down with no motivation for work. I couldn't keep warm for several days also.

You’ve had Covid then - safe to assume it’s covid toe. I know someone who had pains in their feet for months afterwards. It will go eventually.

Timmd 20 Nov 2020

> Yeah thinking back over the last 3 weeks I had about 10 days of mega brain fog and generally feeling down with no motivation for work. I couldn't keep warm for several days also.

I've felt like that in the past weeks and put it down to needing to take antidepressants, suddenly things cleared after I had a word with myself, but I had what felt like covid in March as well. At least my head is clearer again, whatever it was. Summoning 'grrrr' can help, which might also help with covid fatigue and low mood.

Post edited at 15:27
Removed User 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I've lived with flagged floors for about a decade in this house and the previous.The only difference is I'm working from home these days.

Removed User 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Timmd:

I had it down to packing in drinking again, but yes it was very unusual for me to feel so bummed out.

Timmd 21 Nov 2020

That's a point to worry at if you feel it's down to quitting drinking, perhaps?

I feel like I'm benefitting from lockdown in that regards, due to being more of a social drinker.

I seem to have gone teetotal and don't to miss it so much...

Post edited at 14:44
 Michael Hood 21 Nov 2020

My son had Covid toes back in March before it was known as a symptom.

He'd just come back from northern Italy (Verona) in early March about the time they were isolating those few villages there. We told him to isolate for a couple of weeks before coming home so he Air BnB'd a flat and worked from there. It had coldish stone floor (can't have been that cold cause wasn't ground floor) and a Dr friend of his (in Italy) could only think of chilblains. About a month later she sent him photos of Covid toes which looked just like his had done. He didn't have any other symptoms but took some painkillers which might have masked things like a slight temperature.

Ironically, at the time we made him isolate, the Mrs was happily giving me Covid (we didn't know because she didn't have the right type of cough - I think there were only about 3 "allowed" symptoms back then) so she was probably more infectious than he was 😁

The brain fog can be pretty brutal eh? I also stopped any alcohol, as even 1 beer was giving me a headache at the time of drinking, and none of the usual nice effects.

Pretty much through it now, but still have days where I feel pretty slow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...