Children's magazines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 11 Sep 2020

Any personal recommendations on weekly or monthly magazines for children (approx 7y age). I avoid those with plastic tat in the newsagent but the quarterly RSPB and Wildlife trust magazines go down well. I can find lots of options, but looking for a recommendation. 

Caralynh 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

My daughter (age 6 but totally fluent reader) loves Nat Geo Kids. Usually very little plastic tat, useful freebies and lots of wildlife and conservation content.

bouldery bits 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Caralynh:

I'd second the Nat Geo kids. Very popular in Year 3/4.

Also worth a look: https://www.firstnews.co.uk/ - last academic year I had to develop a fair system of distribution on these in my class to prevent arguments! 

BB

wintertree 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

I’ve started Jr on my 1922 set of Arthur Mee’s “The Children’s Encyclopaedia”. 

I’m being selective as some of it needs a lot of contextualising for the modern audience, but other parts are timeless - like teaching a 5 year old how to make and use a lasso, or the game of “Stickerchief” where you fight for possession of a handkerchief with pointy bamboo sticks...

Mee was very much a product of his time and the empire, but he had a clear and prophetic view of how technology would lift the quality of life for all.  Somewhere in the 7,000 pages is a picture story of the telegraph which includes a quote something like “One day all of man kind will be connected through a web of wires around the world”.  Profecied the World Wide Web.  In general the picture stories in it of how things are made or farmed are absolutely fantastic - far better than a random google search for example.  It’s up there with Newnes Pictorial Knowledge.

I got mine from a shop in Darlington (the inimitable Jeremiah Vokes) in 1997 for £20 and nearly wrecked my arms carrying the box 2 miles to the train station.  You can pick up the lot from Abe books for under £50 if you’re not fussy these days.

Edit: well, the text for the lasso isn’t so timelines in its choice of language; Jr can’t read yet so we’re doing picture and I’m adapting the words as we go.  She keeps raiding my complete Heinlein collection based on the cover art; that’s going to take a *lot* of contextualising once she can read...  

Post edited at 23:43

Bobling 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

The Phoenix Magazine could fit the bill, meet Bunny vs Monkey, Action Beaver & Looshkin.  High octane insanity. https://www.thephoenixcomic.co.uk/

Oh bum. 

Blue Straggler 12 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Edit: well, the text for the lasso isn’t so timelines in its choice of language; 

“the red men”! 🤣

OP Philip 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> > 

> “the red men”! 🤣

My 7 year old is reading Willard Price's Amazon Adventure (my indulgence as I wanted an excuse to read these with him but he's usually independent). I decided to tackle the issue of "Indians" and "White Men"....

"It's okay Daddy," he said "I know what this means, Christopher Columbus thought he'd got to India ...."  and then addressing the use of White Man "I know we don't say that now, we call them albino instead".

Caralynh 12 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Oh yes, the Children's Encyclopedia was in our house too. Very dated but I learnt a lot. Some things good for general knowledge (Greek myths, Aesop's fables, semaphore, world flags etc) and some less so but fun at the time (making random weapons, dens etc). I think even then (1970s) I was aware a lot of attitudes especially regarding race were very outdated.

scope 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

Aquilla if it still exists.

wintertree 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Caralynh:

> world flags etc

Some swine bugger removed the flags pages from mine before I got them.  Always used to annoy me that the PBFA didn’t take stricter action against sellers with individual framed picture pages...

Tim Davies 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

First news very good 

Strachan 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

I remember as a child (currently 27) reading all of the Willard Price Adventure books, borrowed from a family friend who is an avid second hand book collector. Absolutely loved them - amazing books.

Edit: I'm sure if I were to re-read them through adult eyes, they would be seem very much a product of their time...

Post edited at 23:38
 graeme jackson 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Strachan:

> I remember as a child (currently 27) reading all of the Willard Price Adventure books, 

Were they the ones with a couple of brothers collecting animals and whatnot in jungles then some bad guys would show up? I seem to recall reading one that involved gorillas and a spitting cobra.

Herdwickmatt 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip: Not really magazines but my kids got a 6month subscription (courtesy of grandparents) to a thing called Kiwi crates. It’s a box of STEM activities that arrive every month. It’s all really well thought through and the kids have absolutely loved them! They do different age ranges so the 3year old and 6year old get different boxes. It’s very crafty and hands on

NorthernGrit 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

We get Nat Geo kids, Aquila and the Beano. Recommend all.

Tringa 13 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

That took me back Wintertree. I loved the Arthur Mee encyclopedia's as a kid. It was the diagrams of the night sky that got me interested in astronomy.

Dave

OP Philip 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Strachan:

> I remember as a child (currently 27) reading all of the Willard Price Adventure books, borrowed from a family friend who is an avid second hand book collector. Absolutely loved them - amazing books.

> Edit: I'm sure if I were to re-read them through adult eyes, they would be seem very much a product of their time...

The most obvious oddity is that conservationists would kill/capture animals. The vocabulary is a good stretch for a 7 year old.

OP Philip 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

Thanks all, will check out the suggestions.

Fozzy 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

Viz. 

d508934 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip

whizz pop bang is reliable good  

lego life magazine is only quarterly but is free!

Baron Weasel 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

https://www.whizzpopbang.com/ 

My nearly 7 year old son loves this magazine, he's even had his picture printed in it doing an experiment and received a badge and certificate too. 

sdw7300 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

My two (aged 10 & nearly 8) get The Week Junior and Aquila. When they've read them and swapped with each other I have a read too! They're both quite good.

https://theweekjunior.co.uk/

https://www.aquila.co.uk/

Jamie Wakeham 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

Eco Kids Planet has gone down well with various nephews, nieces and godchildren.

On a similar vein, have a look at The Curiosity Box.  We know the founder, and Aeron worked there for a while.

toad 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

> The most obvious oddity is that conservationists would kill/capture animals. The vocabulary is a good stretch for a 7 year old.

Remember David Attenborough started out with the Zoo Quest Expeditions, or that Gerald Durrel wrote many books about zoo collecting trips. I worked these books up as a kid, GD especially (shame recent tv series watered down the wildlife content)

toad 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

I used to get given Look and Learn as a kid. I only ever really read the Trigan Empire!

Sam W 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

Another vote for The Week Junior.  Our kids (7 and 9) both enjoy it, provides interesting topics of conversation at dinner.  

wercat 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

I would think reading too much Eagle and Look and Learn, possibly the Arthur Mee books produced lads like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=f1DtY42xEOI&

One of them looks like Bill Gates

Michael Hood 15 Sep 2020
In reply to toad:

> I used to get given Look and Learn as a kid. I only ever really read the Trigan Empire!

+1 for the Trigan Empire - why has it never become a film or TV series?

mbh 16 Sep 2020
In reply to toad:

> I used to get given Look and Learn as a kid. I only ever really read the Trigan Empire!

+2 for the Trigan Empire. But I read the rest too, and Puffin Post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...