Child seat for a small car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 t_hume 04 Sep 2021

First baby is on the way (due in December) and I'm trying to get my head around all the things we apparently need buy to keep a child alive. On that list is a car seat, but despite all the research I'm still fairly clueless as there appears to be a myriad of options- complete travel system, stand alone seat, single group, multi group, base, baseless....

One challenge we have is the wife's car. She has a 3 door mini cooper that we are reluctant to get rid of (at least for another year or so).  

Any parents able to offer some real world advice? 

Thanks

john arran 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Buy second hand. Look for something that attaches using the car's ordinary seatbelts, and ideally something that can double as a sleeping cot, so when baby inevitably falls asleep in the car you can just leave him/her in the seat/cot and take it inside while baby sleeps on.

Si dH 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

I would not buy a car seat second hand unless you know the previous owner and can be 100% certain it has not been in an accident. So I respectfully disagree with John on that point, but otherwise basically agree with him.

If you can afford a travel system, I would get one, with a car seat from the same brand that attaches to it. This is way more convenient than having to have a separate thing and means you can move the baby without waking them up. You could certainly buy the rest of the travel system second hand, but it's also worth looking at out for sale offers.

Personally we have done without isofix throughout. One of our previous cars didn't have an isofix attachment, now they all do but we haven't bothered upgrading. It's fairly straightforward to strap them in with seatbelts. Others may disagree.

The specific model we had for baby size was a cosatto hold 0+, but as you've noticed there are lots of options. I don't think they make that specific model any more. I have found cosatto stuff to be well made, have more interesting designs and their customer service was very good when we needed some replacement parts for the travel system after 3-4 years (second child on the way imminently.) (Edit to add, we transferred directly from the 0+ size to the 123 size, that should do him until he no longer needs a car seat. So you only ever need to buy two. Unless like our son, they are so badly sick the smell never comes out...)

Post edited at 17:37
 summo 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Everything you fuss over for child one, you won't bat an eyelid over child number two if you have one. You soon realise you don't have the time or funds to waste. It's a lesson you don't learn until child two is about 6 months old. 

The number of child seats that have been in an accidents is so low it's not worth losing sleep over. Manufacturers love this though, because it keeps first time parents buying everything new, nothing but the best and safest etc..

Buy a good buggy that will work through all age ranges. A child seat will need changing a few times. Most seats have inserts so you can start tiny, than expand, but you still need to change seats as they grow. Go rear facing for as long as possible, it's way safer.  I'd avoid systems and gimmicks, a good seat that reviews well on comfort rating and with a buckle system that doesn't require extreme dexterity to fasten. 

JB 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Yes...I found it very confusing too! There are gazillions of options. We ended up going for a Maxi Cosi Pebble that slotted into an isofix base. The Pebble could then slot into a Mamas and Papas buggy. That did us up to 9 months then got a bigger seat to slot into the base. Worked well enough and it was all in fairly good nick having been used by our 2 kids though it proved impossible to sell on after so given to friends / was donated to charity. Once the kids were old enough we ditched the big buggy and got a smaller Maclaren style thing which is easier to manhandle.

If you have a smaller car I would def look at how easy it is to get the seat in/ out of the car and also if the buggy fits in the boot. I could squeeze ours into our Seat Ibiza boot but it was a struggle.  There are some options where the seat swivels 90 degrees to face out the car door. I can still remember leaning into the car and really wrestling with my son's straps for ages before yanking then right in frustration and suddenly feeling my back 'go'...took me 5 mins to inch myself into the driver's seat!

We aren't planning to have any more kids but if we were I'd buy used from a friend...

Good luck!

wintertree 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Another vote for a “system” where the car seat can go in to a pram or pushchair style base and where it has a carry handle.  All really useful for sleeping urchins.  Unless finances are pinched I’d not try and get a single chair for this and for when they’re a year older.  Especially if you’re planning a second at some point…

> One challenge we have is the wife's car. She has a 3 door mini cooper that we are reluctant to get rid of (at least for another year or so).  

I find wrangling with urchin in the back is easier in my 2-door car than the partner’s sensible hatchback.  It gives less contorted access to the seat belt receptacles.  Probably depends a lot on the specifics of the car mind.  

Si dH 04 Sep 2021
In reply to JB:

> and also if the buggy fits in the boot.

This is a really good point and worth emphasizing. If you want a travel system the mini's boot will be the main challenge.

Post edited at 21:31
 Kevster 04 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Getting the seat in the back, the leg space and then the seat in front, with enough space for the front passenger is a challenge for small cars. 

We had a polo.. I couldn't go more than 5 mins as passenger because leg space was an issue. 

The next issue if it's a 3 door is not getting back issues putting the seat or baby in and out of the car. 

We ended up buying a family estate. It makes so much sense if you can afford to. 

elliot.baker 04 Sep 2021
In reply to john arran:

Pretty 100% sure guidance is not to let babies sleep for too long in car seats because they’re so curved. I have seen one that stretches flat but most don’t. 

we got a basic silver cross simplicity car seat with iso fix base that clipped on to the pram chassis - I guess this is called a travel system. It was expensive but expecting to use it for three kids so won’t be too bad in the end if we sell it. 

I don’t recall how often we used it by clipping it onto the pram, we were more likely to just take the baby out and put them in the pram if going for a long walk around- but probs depends on your life style. If just popping  to the shops it was quite useful I suppose. 

We also have a very cheap non iso fix car seat we take on holiday abroad (before the pandemic), as someone said - when you’re used to the car seat belt attachment method it’s not too bad at all but it is definitely more complicated than just dropping it onto an Isofix base. I’d defo recommend iso fix if it fits in the car. 

after about 6 months or whatever the baby was too big for the newborn car seat and we got a next size up that goes from tiny baby to about 4 years old. This one rotates (no good in a 2 door!) but is quite bulky. 

I do think you can get car seats that go from 0-4yo but those ones won’t be the kind that clip into a pram, and they might be a bit big for a little mini.  Maybe start with the tiny one then get a bigger car. We went from a small hatchback to a bigger one to a medium SUV and now I’m looking wishfully at vans 😝 

like someone said - I think the chances of finding someone on fb marketplace who is such a psycho they are trying to sell a damaged car seat are probably slim enough to “risk” going second hand, nearly everyone I’ve bought from online has been absolutely fine. Whether you buy used or new is just a personal choice based on circumstances and preference in my opinion, I don’t think there’s much risk. 

edit: sorry this is already a novel - but the cheap non iso fix seat we got was the absolute cheapest one from Halfords literally about £40 or something (cheaper than hiring one from hire car company), it has new born insert, could go front or backwards, and reclined. It would be absolutely fine from new born to 4 and was quite light.  Basically what I’m saying is you can spend £40 (for basic car seat) to £1200 (for full travel system) it’s just up to you and they will all be safe enough. 

Post edited at 22:16
 JB 05 Sep 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

You're right to recommend isofix I think...esp if you need to get car seats in/out of the car. We had one non isofix seat that you had to thread a seatbelt thorough to secure to the car and it was a pain...

Dave B 05 Sep 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

> Pretty 100% sure guidance is not to let babies sleep for too long in car seats because they’re so curved. I have seen one that stretches flat but most don’t. 

I agree. 2 hours max is what I seem To remember. unless the advice has changed. a separate lay flat pram is probably better than a travel system IMHO. 

Get just to not doing much, as it takes forever to do the basic things for a baby! 

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Congratulations.

If you weren't in North Yorks, I'd say pop round, as I'm trying to sell various baby bits at the moment!

We had a baby car seat that fitted with a seatbelt, or you could use an ISOfix base. Most travel systems will do adapters for most group 0 car seats. People are (rightly) wary of 2nd hand car seats, but if you can get one from someone you trust and give it a good clean, it will be fine - car hire companies don't exactly buy new ones for each customer!

Travel systems are great, but will take up most of your boot - some are more of a pain than others to get in, as they need partial dismantelling to do it. Forget trying to get one in a Mini! The basket on some is also completely useless! Think I was most impressed by my cousin's Uppababy one.

Worth having a scissor fold buggy with fold flat base for when you go away.

jkarran 05 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

We bought a system so the car seat fits the buggy but we've only used the feature about 3 times. 9 times out of 10 if she's asleep in the car we leave her to sleep in the car rather than move her and if we do we leave the seat ib place.

Both our different seats eat space and cause mild clashes with the passenger seats. If you have a friend or family member with a baby go see them, try a seat in your car see how it fits.

One of ours is isofix or strap in but too big for the straps in my jeep.

Basically you'll make whatever you get work for you. Like Summo, i'd not fret over second hand, you can inspect most of it and there just aren't going to be many subtly damaged seats in circulation. Give thecovers a wash though, they get grotty!

I wouldn't fancy a 2 door motor but i'm thinking of a heavier wrigglier child, it might bo ok, people clearly cope.

Congratulations.

Jk

gravy 05 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Get a cheap basic one.  The one posh features I've every seen that were worth having were:

- A seat you can back a bit

- A swivel seat that makes it easier to get in and out the car

I doubt either apply to the back of your mini.  Cheap and use the saved cash for the physio after the 3 door mini has wrecked your back.

Another bit of advice: get an umbrella folding pram.

Sealwife 05 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

I suspect you will be fairly limited in your choice of car seats that will actually fit into your wife’s car.Car seats, particularly the ones for newborns, take up a lot more space than you’d think.  You might not be able to fit one in the space behind the front seats if there is a tall person in there.  Also, seat-belts are sometimes not long enough to allow fitting on the most convenient seat space.  Also pram chassis size needs to be taken into account - will it fit in the boot.

As someone upthread says, it’s not recommended to leave a newborn sleeping in a car seat for longer than strictly necessary.  In any case, I’m not sure I ever succeeded in removing a car seat from the car and clipping it onto a pram chassis without waking the baby.

Prior to having my first child, I bought an expensive and elaborate travel system.  By about 6 weeks in, the car-seat stayed in the car permanently because it was a huge pain to fit and the baby went into a sling or, once old enough to sit up, a cheap, lightweight stroller.

Take the car you will use most often, to the shop and ask to have the car seat fitted and try out the pushchair for size/ease of folding etc.  I reckon it won’t be easy in a 3 door mini (sorry).   I started my parenthood with a Renault Clio, by the time my first daughter was 6 months old I’d bought a massive Citroen Estate.  By the time I had 3 under 5, I had a people carrier which was brilliant.  Could put all people and equipment inside, shut the door, then move about safely inside getting toddlers wrangled into seats etc.

Cant comment on isofix as it was only just coming onto the market when my kids were in car seats and my cars were always too old to have it.

Good luck

OP t_hume 07 Sep 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

Thanks for all the advice folks. The general consensus appears to be as I feared- the problem will be the car. 

Thanks again

Durbs 07 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

Yep - rear-facing seats take up a lot of space "in front" of the actual car seat.

Personally for new-borns, the ones with "permanently" fixed base, which you then lift the car-seat in/out of are such a time/faff saver, I wouldn't consider anything else, especially not a seat-belt secured one where you lean over, faff about, all whilst child is screaming your face, or you're trying very hard not to wake them up, even worse without rear doors on the car.

Just clicking it in, or pressing and lifting out saves a world of physical hurt and emotional stress!

Don't worry too much about a "system", you can buy adapters that convert most car seats to fit most buggies - but I think we used ours a total of once for two children... Once they're asleep, most babies can just be transferred into a buggy without waking.

Also - congratulations!

SuperstarDJ 07 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

We didn't use the 'travel system' much, but some people do.  I'd look at second hand pushchairs and then buy a new seat that's compatible.  The pushchairs are big though.

Second hand vrs new - maybe think about it like climbing gear.  A second hand rope from a friend where you know the full history (age, how it's been stored etc) might be ok but you would probably think twice about sourcing from eBay.  We've just had twins so are happily re-using the first child's seat but bought new for the second.

You will probably need to replace the car though - sorry.

Philip 07 Sep 2021
In reply to t_hume:

On the buying second hand - for child #2 we replaces the covers (not expensive). As others have said - chance of being in the kind of accident where the seat needs scrapping is low. After all, unless that coincided with them needing a bigger seat anyway then the parent is going to have to replace the seat themselves. So perhaps be suspicious of someone with a baby selling a baby seat, but in all likelihood you'll find something.

In terms of strategy. We got isofix base for the Maxi Cosi pebble, which meant easy in and out and the car seat mounted on the pushchair/pram frame.

Then we got a 1/2/3 all in one for the car that only did short journeys and a decent seat for my car for main road and long distance journeys.

You get better value (but less sleep) by having child #2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...