Chicken Pox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have chicken pox.  Get me and my childhood diseases!  I feel young again . . .

T.

subtle 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I had mine mid 30's - wasn't nice - good luck to you

toad 22 Jan 2020

I had it in primary school. A fortnight off and an itchy few days. I’m told it’s a right pig as an adult. Best of luck

climb41 22 Jan 2020
In reply to subtle:

> I had mine mid 30's - wasn't nice - good luck to you

Yep, me too. Bad. Had blisters in places I didn’t know existed. 

As above, good luck, it’ll pass...

EarlyBird 22 Jan 2020

I had it in my thirties. Two weeks off work. The Doc prescribed something expensive to reduce the itchiness so that wasn't too bad.

oldie 22 Jan 2020

Too many cheerful replies. Once you've had chickenpox you will be able get shingles in the future.

Signed: miserable old git

Olaf Prot 22 Jan 2020

Oh dear. I had in my mid-20s, not nice!

Thanks all for the empathy.  By my reckoning, this is the third time I've had chicken pox; once as a wee nipper, again in teenage years (when my parents told me about the earlier episode) and now this, plus shingles in my early twenties too.  Joy unabounded, but with more itches and a place heading towards the outer reaches of cases of chicken pox experienced by one person.

The GP has advised that I take paracetamol plus an antihistamine for the itching and avoid rubbing the affected parts on pregnant women and small children, which is advice that we'd all do well to heed in all manner of circumstances.

I'm now waiting to see just how far it's going to spread and whether I can make a picture of a willy if I get a marker pen and join the spots.

T.

hokkyokusei 22 Jan 2020

Don't scratch!

Bacon Butty 22 Jan 2020

The pox, I thought you could only get it once?

> ... and avoid rubbing the affected parts on pregnant women and small children, which is advice that we'd all do well to heed in all manner of circumstances.

After no joy at my GPs, I went down A&E with this spotty rash I had over most of my body.  They gave me an absolute bollocking for coming down hospital with, what they thought was, measles.

It turned out to be a rash from handling hairy caterpillars that invaded London and our flat in the 80s.

C4T 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

It's uncommon but you can catch it more than once. I had it around three times as a child then eventually got shingles.

I bet you're less tempted to handle caterpillars now! That sounds nasty!

Post edited at 09:37
 Trangia 23 Jan 2020
In reply to oldie:

> Too many cheerful replies. Once you've had chickenpox you will be able get shingles in the future.

> Signed: miserable old git

Are you over 70? If so you will qualify for a free one off life time vaccine against shingles on the NHS

oldie 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Not quite there yet but will have it ready booked for my 70th. I think 1 in 4 people get shingles, I've known several people with shingles and its always been unpleasant, and usually  longs lasting.

I've toyed with paying for the jab myself, about £200, but meanness has intervened.....I'll bitterly regret it if I get shingles before 70! That said I believe its by no means 100% effective in prevention, though it may also lessen the symptoms.

LastBoyScout 24 Jan 2020

> The GP has advised that I take paracetamol plus an antihistamine for the itching and avoid rubbing the affected parts on pregnant women and small children, which is advice that we'd all do well to heed in all manner of circumstances.

Yes - don't take ibuprofen if you have chicken pox, as it "may" lead to an increased risk of serious skin infection – a condition called necrotising fasciitis. Also, by reducing inflammation, the ibuprofen may mask the signs of serious infection. Admittedly a small risk of both and the evidence isn't that clear, but not worth the risk.

> I'm now waiting to see just how far it's going to spread and whether I can make a picture of a willy if I get a marker pen and join the spots.

Good luck

We had to cancel my daughter's 3rd birthday party when she came out in spots the morning of it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...