Chess tactics for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arcturus 16 Jan 2021

I know the rules of chess but I’m not what you’d call a player. My granddaughter has got interested however. She’s smart but not a genius. She’s eleven later this month. I’d like to get her a book on chess tactics appropriate for her age. There are loads if I google so I’m looking for recommendations. Maybe it doesn’t matter, maybe any of the books will do to get her started but I’d be very grateful for the wisdom of any UKC advice,

Thanks

The Lemming 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Winning Chess from Amazon.

And the Coffee Chess youtube. A link to the site

youtube.com/watch?v=vL8C033tXtQ&

gravy 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

"How to beat your Dad at chess" - it's slightly dry but it's very good.

As long as she gives it the benefit of the doubt until she's tried four pages she'll be thrashing you in no time. 

The key thing to remember is not to let any of her competitors read it...

Derry 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Start watching The Queens Gambit on Netflix??? 

Thomas Jones 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Not a book sorry (but maybe useful) , but you could buy a premium membership for something like chesstempo (www.chesstempo.com). I only have the free version but the tactics trainer adjusts to your standard so in theory would provide her with unlimited tactics training whatever her level. Great for dipping in and out of and spending a bit of time sharpening your tactics. 

I understand the appeal of a book though, I have one that my Granddad got from winning a chess tournament in the 1950s which is special to me (despite not being a particularly helpful book!). 

Ramblin dave 16 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

> "How to beat your Dad at chess" - it's slightly dry but it's very good.

I've heard this recommended, too...

Toccata 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

John Emms Understanding Chess Openings is the best starter book. A solid opening is a good entry to the mid game. 

birdie num num 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Opening gambits are great, if they draw your opponent into following the temptation. And that might be a start. Aggressive openings can be found on YouTube quite easily, or chess.com app might be more to the liking of a youngster than a book.

Ramblin dave 17 Jan 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> Winning Chess from Amazon.

If you mean the Yasser Seirawan book, that's also a really good shout for a first book.

The Lemming 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Ramblin dave:

This one. Got pictures an stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1501117580?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

😜

In reply to Arcturus:

If you want specifically a book of tactics, and you can get it, 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations, by Reinfeld. If by 'tactics', you just mean strategems in general, then my own recommendation as a general beginner's book would be Introduction to Chess by Irving Chernev, but that's probably also out of print. Both old, but they worked on me. There are many newer books, of course.

Of course these days there are many online tactics testers, for instance Puzzle Rush on chess.com.

jcm

In reply to The Lemming:

Winning Chess is also good but a little more advanced than Introduction to Chess. Doesn't sound right for the OP's granddaughter, but depends how advanced she is.

I somehow have a copy of How to Beat Your Dad at Chess, and looking quickly at it that looks like it might be fun too.

jcm

cb294 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Training apps like the one by Magnus Carlsen are probably a bit more teenager friendly!

CB

freeflyer 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Not a book, but this is fun, and you can choose your level:

https://chessok.com/?page_id=359

And there's other stuff on the site which might be of interest.

ff

OP Arcturus 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Many thanks  to all who responded. Plenty to consider there.

At the moment she is totally obsessed by the game but remains to be seen whether it is sustained of course . 

Try as I might I've never managed to beat her at draughts but so far I'm holding my own at chess but I can't see that lasting long.🙂

Post edited at 19:35
 Derry 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

On the back of this thread I've bought 'how to beat your dad at chess' as my 9 year old is enjoying playing, but would love to beat me legitimately i.e. without asking me "is that a good move?"

Cheers for the thread!

gazhbo 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

My daughter’s about 10 and I just bought her how to beat your dad if the back of this, so thanks. It’s a little bit more in my price range than the other suggestion.

She can in fact already beat me (I’m not very good) but she struggles against other people of a similar ability to me.  I think I’m probably a bit predictable and familiar.

She plays my dad on my account on chess.com.  He’s much better than me but she can sometimes beat him in timed games as he loses the advantage of being more patient.  They would play on a real board but y’know... lockdown.

She learned at school at the recommended an app for kids called chesskid as it’s a bit more secure than chess.com.  It’s so secure though that I can’t create an account to play her.

gravy 19 Jan 2021
In reply to gazhbo:

Try this for the computing nerd aspect - it plays an entertainingly agressive game:

https://nanochess.org/archive/tiny_chess_2.html

Toccata 19 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

That’s a good engine to allow beginners to learn to punish blunders.

felt 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

I always recommend Bogoljubov's From Granddaughter to Grandmaster in Four Easy Moves (can't remember the Russian title, sorry), although she'd need some Russian as it's not yet available in English.

HakanT 19 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

> "How to beat your Dad at chess" - it's slightly dry but it's very good.

I can vouch for this book having had my butt kicked by my son.

Denni 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

My nearly 11 year old learns strategies from playing on chess.com 

loads of tactics and lessons on there. She’d get bored with a book and much prefers this as it’s interactive.

mattmurphy 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Denni:

> My nearly 11 year old learns strategies from playing on chess.com 

> loads of tactics and lessons on there. She’d get bored with a book and much prefers this as it’s interactive.

Chess.com is my go to app for chess.

I’m not sure how you’d work the logistics, but a premium package would give her unlimited puzzles which are a great way to improve.

Edit: Plus there’s an opening tool, which allows you to see the most commonly played openings and defences which will give any beginner a sure footing.

Post edited at 21:37
 freeflyer 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

If playing the computer would be useful, Microsoft provided a free set of games in Windows 7 including Chess Titans. They stopped distributing the game package in later Windows versions, but the games can still be downloaded and played for free, as winaero have kindly fixed it for us so they work on Windows 10 etc.

Search "winaero games download".

misterb 20 Jan 2021
In reply to gravy:

Ha ha just started playing chess and this little gamer is whipping me 🤣🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...