Cheap design software recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 02 Aug 2020

I'm looking for some recommendations for a simple design software package for personal home and carpentry designs. I've had a look at Sketchup[free] which looks like it could just do the job, but I'd rather get something a bit more adept, but not pay the $700 for the pro version of Sketchup. Any ideas?

In reply to rockwing:

Fusion 360 is free if you're not earning money from your endeavours.

jdh90 02 Aug 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I've used Onshape which is a browser based CAD package, more similar to SolidWorks, Inventor etc.  As a mechanical engineer, I get on better with it than Sketchup for my hobby tinkerings, but then I havent been back to try Sketchup in a long time.  I was able to get a free Onshape account when I signed up years ago and all accounts were free, I think a friend tried to sign up recently and it's a 30 day trial.

Edit: I also like that it doesnt need to download any software to take up space on my elderly laptop.  Similarly, I think some of the processing must be done in the cloud because I dont remember said laptop trying to melt it's way through the table like it did with my university coursework.

Post edited at 09:19
 wintertree 02 Aug 2020
In reply to rockwing:

OpenSCAD is something you’ll either take to instantly or find totally counter-intuitive and frustrating.  It’s free so you can always have a go...  I find it useful for simple stuff, but it doesn’t take long for it to be lacking compared to conventional CAD systems.

Post edited at 09:22
In reply to rockwing:

I would suggest persisting with SketchUp until you are adept.

In reply to rockwing:

FreeCAD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...