Charging tickets for club EventBrite alternative?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 16 Apr 2021

I seek your wisdom ... I'm sure some of you will have experience in this.

My wife's fledgling netball club has started using EventBrite to charge for tickets for each club session to make it easier to manage session capacity / booking / payments etc. Before this they were having to use a load of spreadsheets and manually reconcile payments from the club's bank account, and people often wouldn't put a reference on the BACs payment, or would pay late etc., so EventBrite has made their life so much easier - it's definitely worth the 50p or whatever per ticket.

BUT... now they've got a message saying they need to fill out a tax form for the US IRS, presumably because EventBrite is American (even though it's .co.uk), none of us can figure out the tax form, the club has no "chapter 3 status" or "foreign tax identification code" etc. etc. etc. so we're a bit stumped, when they get to 200 tickets EventBrite will withhold any further payouts so they're going to have to stop using it.

Does anyone know any other UK based websites that operate in the same way? Where you can just pay a fee per ticket sold that isn't too big, and are straightforward to set up and manage?

(or does anyone know how to fill out a bloody W-8BEN form on behalf of a tiny, tiny club?)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Dave B 16 Apr 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

That sounds most odd. I'll have to look out for that one. Are they sure their address in the system is UK?

I've started to look at myclubhouse and similar, but got no further than that.

wercat 16 Apr 2021

don't fill in any IRS forms unless the netball club conducts any business in the US.

You might need to check on data protection if the club has transferred any personal data to another jurisdiction particularly if the club has any EU nationals

deepsoup 17 Apr 2021

> Does anyone know any other UK based websites that operate in the same way?

Would Webcollect be worth a look?

https://webcollect.org.uk

wbo2 17 Apr 2021

I'd second checking the address, or using .co.uk rather than .com.  You should have zero to do with the US tax system. 

Talk to eventbrite

neilh 17 Apr 2021

Fill out a W9 which is an exemption form for non domiciled individuals and bodies who are outside the US. 

it’s a couple of ticks and you are done. 

Post edited at 19:17
 john arran 17 Apr 2021

There's a form W8-BEN that I've used in the past, that I believe is for individuals who are neither US citizens nor residents.

MG 17 Apr 2021
In reply to neilh:

I'd advise avoiding any contact with the IRS or giving them any information.

wercat 17 Apr 2021
In reply to MG:

definitely - they say they transfer their data to servers in the US which is not exactly transparent naming for a site calling itself ".co.uk".  A kind of piracy, sailing under a false flag.

The IRS have absolutely no right to know of the club or anyone in it.  UK is sovereign over its subjects unless they are doing business in other jurisdictions.

Post edited at 19:38
 wercat 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave B:

what is clear is that they are trading as a co.uk to sucker the unwitting into their US business model

Dave B 17 Apr 2021

Membermojo and ticketease look interesting. Any comments from anyone?

Neil Williams 17 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

> what is clear is that they are trading as a co.uk to sucker the unwitting into their US business model

Most large international corporations do this, it is hardly unusual, so blaming EB for doing it is a bit off the mark.

neilh 17 Apr 2021
In reply to MG:

I Do it every year.it’s nothing but info they can easily get hold of anyway. 

james wardle 17 Apr 2021

We use https://ticketease.co.uk/

A great little UK company low cost and 90% of the functionality of event bright

the thing I like most is that you can use your own stripe account so you are in control

Dave B 18 Apr 2021
In reply to james wardle:

Thanks for positive comments on this, it's the one I asked about above, so it looks like one to try for our next event

MG 18 Apr 2021
In reply to neilh:

Have a read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Account_Tax_Compliance_Act

You really really dont want to get  involved, even due to an error. And that's leaving aside the fact your affairs are none of their f*cking business. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...