Champions League part 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 08 May 2019

Jesus effin christ! 

tjdodd 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Well who'd have guessed.

OP Denni 08 May 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

Not me!

luke glaister 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Unreal. Lightning does strike twice.  Or 3 times in this case. A United fan who can only dream of a team like the 2 I've seen over the last 24h. All English final.  Class. 

Shani 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Two incredible games. Full credit to the fighting spirit of Liverpool and Spurs.

JuneBob 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Meh. We'll just go back to being a player factory again, and UEFA can have what they really want, a "European" final, ie the Europe that includes only England, Spain, Germany, Italy and maybe France if they pay enough.

Tyler 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

So pleased that one of these managers is now going to get a trophy they so richly deserve, only wish it could be both. Good to see that it will be contested by two teams that have built up over time on merit and good management rather than financial doping of some billionaire's play thing (I appreciate there are billionaires behind both teams but I think this is as close as we are ever going to get to a 'traditional'  model of football ownership at this level)

nathan79 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Two big nights, two let downs. Its now a case of which team I want to win least. Currently Spurs I think. (Liverpool can have the final victory as compensation for coming in second in the league).

I suppose at the end of the day it just shows the magic of cup competitions.

In reply to Denni:

Come on you Spurs. Unbelievable!

Dave the Rave 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Well that will have thoroughly pissed off Platini et al. An all British final just in time for Brexit

mrphilipoldham 08 May 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Platini is no longer around at UEFA and nor has it anything to do with the EU.. the Russians (amongst others) managed to compete in European football without being a member just fine..

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Platini is no longer around at UEFA and nor has it anything to do with the EU.. the Russians (amongst others) managed to compete in European football without being a member just fine..

It will still have pissed him off though

mrphilipoldham 08 May 2019

Probably  

In reply to nathan79:

> Two big nights, two let downs. Its now a case of which team I want to win least. Currently Spurs I think. (Liverpool can have the final victory as compensation for coming in second in the league).

> I suppose at the end of the day it just shows the magic of cup competitions.

I sympathise with your view somewhat, but think it’s a great result for Britain as a whole. Hope Liverpool win it and don’t win the league. The league and cup are all to play for. Well done to the British teams against the odds.

Postmanpat 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

I wonder if Mourinho has been watching......

Myfyr Tomos 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Brilliant night! Looking at my French school dictionary (from 68/69) with the names Jennings, Gilzean, Greaves, Kinnear, Knowles, Mullery, England etc written inside the front cover. Waited a long time and it doesn't come any better than this. Madrid here we come.

Post edited at 23:32
 Tom Last 08 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

COYS!

felt 09 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

People are complaining that the Spurs side isn't full of British players, but I've read that the hat-trick hero is one of the North York Mouras.

Deadeye 09 May 2019
In reply to felt:

Coat -->

mick taylor 09 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

Perhaps this is the greatest Champions League comeback !? Ajax fans must have been booking their tickets for the final at half time - nailed on they were going.  Spurs have to score three goals in 45 minutes, and do it with a hat trick, last goal with seconds to go.  Harry Kane watching on.  Amazing!!!!!

Interesting that Liverpool and Spurs both did it without their main strikers.  Shows how other people can raise their game, and gives evidence to the theory that players often feel obligated to get everything going through certain key players and play with more freedom when they are not their.

mick taylor 09 May 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Genuine question - why cant you get behind one of them?  I can usually find some tenuous reason.  Spurs for me, and can’t wait for the final.  Think it’s live on YouTube?

XXXX 09 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

I'm terrified that Spurs are going to win it.

Irk - Arsenal fan.

In reply to XXXX:

Same, was listening to it on the radio last night and when they scored the winner just nodded sorrowfully whilst muttering "FFS" to myself.

In reply to mick taylor:

Think you are right Mick. The Spurs comeback was unbelievable as unlike Liverpool they haven’t recently been playing well.

Come on you Spurs.

Phil1919 09 May 2019
In reply to Denni:

They now need to relocate the final to the UK to set an emissions example, and save lots of people time and money and the head ache of the travelling involved. 

nathan79 09 May 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

I don't know. I was a boyhood Liverpool fan (John Barnes remains one of my all time favourites) but that love faded and then there was the Istanbul debacle (Milan fan).

Spurs I think is largely due to Arsenal being my London team and a dislike for the superhyping of Harry Kane. I just don't want to see them succeed!

Deadeye 09 May 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> I just don't want to see them succeed!

In not a football fan, but even I could see the excitement over the last 2 nights... And i just don't understand the antagonistic emotion - seems really mean spirited to want others to fail. Cheer for your team for sure, but all this contrived hatred, do we really want that?

felt 09 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

> but all this contrived hatred, do we really want that?

It's the lifeblood of football, Clive.

nathan79 09 May 2019

I don't see it as a great result for Britain as a whole. It's two English teams representing the English Premier League. (From a north of the border viewpoint).

Robert Durran 09 May 2019

I have to admit to feeling one slightly disappointing aspect to last night's result in that it makes the final less exciting because I'll not have particularly strong feelings about who wins.

Martin W 09 May 2019
In reply to felt:

> > but all this contrived hatred, do we really want that?

> It's the lifeblood of football, Clive.

Which may well be one reason why some people perceive there to be a rather unpleasant atmosphere surrounding football.  It seems to attract divise and antagonistic behaviours even (arguably even particularly) amongst those not actively involved in the competitive action on the field of play.

Thankfully the big games last night and the night before do not seem to have been marred by much if any such immature and uncivilised goings-on.

felt 09 May 2019
In reply to Martin W:

I think the takeaway here is that the hatred is contrived not real. When it's real, well then, obviously ... 

Gone for good 09 May 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> I don't see it as a great result for Britain as a whole. It's two English teams representing the English Premier League. (From a north of the border viewpoint).

There was a time when the big English teams were well represented by Scotsmen.

Only Andy Robertson for Liverpool and none for Tottenham.......I may be wrong though.

Dave the Rave 09 May 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> I don't see it as a great result for Britain as a whole. It's two English teams representing the English Premier League. (From a north of the border viewpoint).

Is this just because they won’t have Celtic in the prem?. I watch more Scottish football than the premier league.

I don’t like either of the finalists, but merit where merit is due they’ve done England proud.

In reply to Phil1919:

Actually, that’s a very sensible notion. Not at this stage but in principle it should be the deal every year.

Even worse in the EL if Arsenal and Chelsea wind up playing in Baku.

jcm

fred99 09 May 2019
In reply to nathan79:

It's simply a fact of life - ALL the Scottish teams are cr*p. 2 or 3 of them would do OK in the English Championship, the rest of the Scottish Premiership would be spaced across divisions 1 and 2. The other divisions wouldn't be up to the level of the Football League.

mick taylor 09 May 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Totally, and have it at that nice new shiny stadium in north London.....

nathan79 09 May 2019
In reply to fred99:

Clearly you've taken that as an opportunity to attack all Scottish teams which was never the topic here.

Too many teams in a small country spending more than they need to chasing the few teams that have some. A massive overhaul is needed from bottom to top, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Sadly the glory days of Scottish clubs are long gone, let's not even get started on the national team!

nathan79 09 May 2019

They can have them! And the boys in blue!

I expect them to put on a decent show and the two sets of fans should have a whale of a time in a cracking city and stadium.

In reply to nathan79:

Perhaps if they played more regularly in a better league by collapsing the Scottish league into a UK league they would become better players. The counter argument is that if the players were good enough, they would already be playing down south.

Phil1919 09 May 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

........or they could draw straws for Old Trafford or Wembley or Highbury. 

In reply to nathan79:

> They can have them! And the boys in blue!

They don’t want or need them. Not good enough for the prem either club. It’s a funny situation for Scotland unfortunately. Without the revenue from those games small clubs would fold.

> I expect them to put on a decent show and the two sets of fans should have a whale of a time in a cracking city and stadium.

Where is the final this year?

Glyno 09 May 2019

Madrid

In reply to Glyno:

They should move it. Doubt many foreigners will want to watch now.

Mike Highbury 09 May 2019

> They should move it. Doubt many foreigners will want to watch now.

Do you think not? 

Even South Korea has an interest.

In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Do you think not? 

> Even South Korea has an interest.

Yeah, to be clear I meant that they may as well let the English fans have the tickets and chance to see it at an English ground. I just didn’t post that 

Mike Highbury 09 May 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave: One imagines that these things are grand corporate shindigs where the sponsors and national associations get the larger proportion of the tickets together with a few nights in a different city each year.

In reply to Mike Highbury:

> One imagines that these things are grand corporate shindigs where the sponsors and national associations get the larger proportion of the tickets together with a few nights in a different city each year.

I would imagine that it is. 

Martin W 16 May 2019
In reply to felt:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/15/manch...

"We are sadly a long way from all watching matches together again but we could surely be better than this."

Post edited at 09:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...