Cat advice needed: Kitten intros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 11 Aug 2022

As a complete cat newbie, I am appealing to the wisdom of UKC.

We adopted our first rescue kitten 2 months ago (female, estimated 2 months old at the time). Everything went incredibly smoothly. She left the carrier after 5 minutes, explored the house, ate, used the cat toilet, and then snuggled up to us, all the space of a few hours. Since then she has been a pleasure, more like a dog than a cat, to be honest. Constantly appears with a ball or other toy and wants to play, sleeps in her bed all night, comes to us when called, etc. Even the vet visits have been easy.

We got a second kitten now (male, 3 months old, grew up with brothers and sisters in a protected space). Maybe our first experience made us overconfident, but it’s much harder to gain this one's confidence. The whole first day was spent hiding. After two days, he seems fine with me close by and is eating well,  but does not let me touch him yet. This is fine, we just leave him his space. Biggest achievement today was licking my fingers on his terms. I pretended to be asleep and he just came over. As soon as I opened my eyes he was gone, but still a big step. He also calls us when we leave the room.

The problem now is how to introduce the two kittens to each other. They kept calling each other through the closed door, so we made one attempt to let them meet with a physical barrier (carrier). The older female wanted to be friends it seems, but the new one just emitted these very deep guttural growls, so we separated them again. Now the female keeps calling through the door but doesn’t get any answers and the new kitten just seems disinterested.

Any tips for smoothing the transition? Particularly on how to avoid any mishaps like fights? I have read that early encounters going wrong are hard to correct later on. Not really sure how to proceed here. Any tips on this and in general cat adaptation?

Dax H 11 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

We have had more than a few rescue cats, time and patience is what is needed. The Mrs sits with the new cat and let's the existing cat come to say hello. Rince and repeat until they are okay. 

CantClimbTom 11 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

Dunno, probably the tom will chill in his own time. I only have the one and he took a couple of days to adjust and start to chill. Each needs their own time. 

But, slightly off topic, don't underestimate how young you need to get a female spayed (if you're going to..), that'll be very very soon.

A bit like human stuff and speaking to doc. If in doubt: ask your vet

Post edited at 18:35
 S Ramsay 11 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

Simultaneously having them recieve treats with a barrier, human sitting in a doorway or door only open a tiny bit,  has helped in my experience. And don't bank on them becoming friends, while I have seen cats who clearly love each other, most simply learn to tolerate their housemates 

OP StefanB 11 Aug 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> But, slightly off topic, don't underestimate how young you need to get a female spayed (if you're going to..), that'll be very very soon.

Good point! Thanks!

The male had been neutered a few days before we picked him up ... which may explain the grumpiness.

Not sure yet when to spay the female. The rescue center recommended as soon as possible whereas the vet advised waiting until after the first heat. There seem to be different schools do thought. 

Elsier 11 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

Try scent swapping e.g swapping blankets etc can really help. Cats decide friend or foe based on scent so mixing up their scents helps them accept other cats 

Otherwise do as you are and just go slowly with the intros you will probably know when it's the right time to let them together without a barrier. Mine took 3 weeks but they get on really well now. 

Babika 12 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

Cats are quite solitary animals so don't be surprised if they don't want to be best buddies. Food plates in separate zones etc is quite normal. 

Glad you are having such a great experience with no 1 though. I've always had rescue cats - they're a joy. No idea why anyone would want to buy one when there are so many unwanted.

Removed User 12 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

Just let them get on with it, it'll settle down to some sort of status quo. You can't train a cat and most of them are twarts.

timjones 12 Aug 2022
In reply to StefanB:

I'm sure they will work out how they want to co-exist in their own time.

At the end of the day they are cats and will probably end up doing as they please which may even involve moving into a different human home.

OP StefanB 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Removed User:

> You can't train a cat 

Over the last few weeks, I feel that I am being trained by the cat

OP StefanB 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Babika:

> Glad you are having such a great experience with no 1 though. I've always had rescue cats - they're a joy. No idea why anyone would want to buy one when there are so many unwanted.

Yes, I don't get the concept of "booking" a cat months in advance, before it is even born. What if it turns out weird or incompatible? It's like an arranged wedding.

Post edited at 13:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...