Carrying a Front Door on the Car Roof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 12 Mar 2019

I need to buy a new front door probably without time to arrange a man with a van. My car is a Golf Estate, it has roof rails but no rack as such - can I use ratchet straps or even rope to safely secure a front door for a 30mph journey across town? I think I can but looking for reassurance or re-education!

Gwain 12 Mar 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Hi, if you tie timber across the rails you will create a roof rack that you can then put the door on. As long as nothing comes undone, should be fine. 

Gwain. 

Dave B 12 Mar 2019

Put padding on the roof if you do. 

Be careful about it being front up. 

Ratchets would be better as rope can stretch a bit but I've carried all sorts on racks with rope. Lashing it front and back and side to side should see it right (hard braking is your enemy!). 

Hat Dude 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

hard braking is the car in front's enemy!

Won't it fit inside a golf estate enough that you could get it home with the boot lid secured half shut?

OP MonkeyPuzzle 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Hmmm, possibly... I can actually have a practice with the wrong front door that's actually necessitating the quick purchase.

In reply to Gwain:

> Hi, if you tie timber across the rails you will create a roof rack that you can then put the door on. As long as nothing comes undone, should be fine. 

> Gwain. 

Mmmmm, square lashing. Scouty!

tlouth7 12 Mar 2019

You should have no problem with a couple of towels and two ratchet straps.

antdav 12 Mar 2019

Depending on the height of the driver you may be able to put the door in the car and angle it upwards, resting the door on the headrest of the driver and/or passenger seats. May not be the safest if the headrest isnt flush to the chair.

Bellie 12 Mar 2019

My mate got a upvc front door with frame inside his Audi A4 estate. He had to be sat forward a bit but he managed.

hang_about 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Don't do what I did with fence panels. Wound the windows down and ran rope across the roof and then through the inside. Really held things in place well  - proper sturdy. But of course, I'd tied the car doors shut so had to go all Dukes of Hazzard to get in.

Post edited at 16:50
In reply to Hat Dude:

> hard braking is the car in front's enemy!

Nice one centurion.  

wbo 12 Mar 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:done similar a few times, use some padding

Rigid Raider 12 Mar 2019

I used to transport doors inside my Passat estate with the front seats forwards a bit. Surely a Golf isn't much shorter and you could just tie the hatch down? 

GrahamD 12 Mar 2019

Lashing with rope is fine but make sure you really protect the door edges where the rope passes over.  I'd also go with the idea above and use cross pieces of wood under the door

FactorXXX 12 Mar 2019

Put it longways across the roof and pretend that you're a fighter pilot.

john arran 12 Mar 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Put it longways across the roof and pretend that you're a fighter pilot.

Then if you angle it slightly upwards and drive really fast ...

FactorXXX 12 Mar 2019
In reply to john arran:

> Then if you angle it slightly upwards and drive really fast ...

That would be totally irresponsible and I couldn't possibly condone that...

Jack 12 Mar 2019

And remember to lock it so it doesn't blow open.

Thanks for all the suggestions, all of them incredibly practical. Turns out there's a place called "Wickes" that does "next day delivery". Who knew?

marsbar 12 Mar 2019

Probably best. In case anyone else is reading in future, the problem with no roof bars is you have nothing to attach the door to the car in the forward direction, only side to side and you may not be able to get it tight enough to prevent the door moving forwards when you brake which could be a bit of an issue.  

The suggestion of using wood cross bars sounds OK as long as they are properly attached. 

Post edited at 20:53
 john arran 12 Mar 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> The suggestion of using wood cross bars sounds OK as long as they are properly attached.

Some years ago now, we had a Toyota Avensis with roof rails, onto which I attached a big wooden board, with holes drilled in suitable places and ties added to make it stable and secure.

We moved an absurd quantity of stuff to France, including a probably illegal weight of stuff on the roof - certainly a comical volume! - and throughout the 18 hour journey I never once felt any reason for concern.

Timmd 12 Mar 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> Probably best. In case anyone else is reading in future, the problem with no roof bars is you have nothing to attach the door to the car in the forward direction, only side to side and you may not be able to get it tight enough to prevent the door moving forwards when you brake which could be a bit of an issue.  

I was thinking about that, if using rope one can loop it around the front of the door and then anchor the door to something vertical in the roof rails to stop it sliding forwards. 

Post edited at 21:11
 john arran 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

What you need is a hole in the roof board very close to the front of the rail, and another very close to the back of the rail. Tie these to the rail securely and it's going nowhere.

Edit: sp.

Post edited at 21:14
 marsbar 12 Mar 2019
In reply to john arran:

I've no problem with such things as long as it's well attached.  

marsbar 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

That might work.  I think I can visualise it. 

LastBoyScout 12 Mar 2019

I have in the past had a 7'6" surf board inside a Focus estate - put a strap between the front seat grab handles to support the leading edge of the door and you'll probably be ok.

Otherwise, timber cross bars secured with U-bolts would have done you - don't follow the examples I've seen of using zip ties to secure them!

jkarran 13 Mar 2019
In reply to john arran:

> We moved an absurd quantity of stuff to France, including a probably illegal weight of stuff on the roof - certainly a comical volume! - and throughout the 18 hour journey I never once felt any reason for concern.

I moved a double mattress across town loosly lashed to the roof (well roll-hoops and screen) of my Z3. Lucky I didn't get stopped really!

jk

Post edited at 10:27
 Greenbanks 13 Mar 2019

Should be ok if it's a decent quality solid door.

Years ago, when living in the Lakes, I popped in to Lancaster  to buy 3 sheets of plasterboard (...you can see this coming, can't you?). Being a callow youth, I lazily lashed side-to-side and got on my way. I'd not got past Hest Bank (at a time, I admit, when the absence of cameras etc enabled you to cane it quite impressively) before the front half of the load above departed...fortunately missing a moped rider (no helmet) and a Co-op delivery van running behind me. On braking the remainder slipped through my hasty anchorages, over the roof & bonnet and was deposited in a dusty pile just in front of me.  True Brit stylee, I picked up the stuff, lobbed it in the boot, pretending it was all a carefully orchestrated event. I've subsequently always been more careful when carrying stuff up top.

DancingOnRock 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

Yes. You just tie the rope/run the straps from the front of the roof rails. 

Rick Graham 13 Mar 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Once carried  a table on the car roof for 150 miles . Piece of carpet and old rope through the top of the car windows. 

Had to climb disconnect the rope or climb out through the window but at least the table legs helped it not to slide forward when braking

Pefa 13 Mar 2019

> I need to buy a new front door probably without time to arrange a man with a van. My car is a Golf Estate, it has roof rails but no rack as such - can I use ratchet straps or even rope to safely secure a front door for a 30mph journey across town?

Do you have a handle on it now? 

OP MonkeyPuzzle 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Pefa:

If that's how you want to frame it.

FactorXXX 13 Mar 2019

Couldn't you just jamb it in place?

FactorXXX 13 Mar 2019

> If that's how you want to frame it.

It all hinges on how you want to frame it surely...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...