Careers counsellor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deaddogsdie 24 Nov 2022

I appreciate this is pretty random but has anyone on here used a careers counsellor or is there anyone who might be able to recommend one to speak to? I am thinking about trying to change jobs and it would be helpful to have someone to discuss this with.  

MG 24 Nov 2022
In reply to deaddogsdie:

I'm married to one. Send me a DM if of interest.

Removed User 24 Nov 2022
In reply to deaddogsdie:

Aren't they just a figment of American high-school cinema?

spenser 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Removed User:

Nope, definitely a thing in the UK too, things like Connexions.

broken spectre 24 Nov 2022
In reply to deaddogsdie:

I can vouch for MG. Was guided through quite a tough time in '21, really helpful.

coldfell 24 Nov 2022
In reply to spenser:

Now known as Inspira? Useful for young adults.

Forest Dump 24 Nov 2022
In reply to deaddogsdie:

Probably need more of this in the modern no job for life world but God knows how you find a decent one in comparison to a self appointed lifestyle / career coach..

I remember the careers advisers at Uni weren't much cop, basically a self assessment questionnaire they completed with you that spat out a bunch of options 

Would like to think in the real world things need a bit more nuance 

Could your professional body offer a steer? Or are you looking to change sector/job role completely, for example software engineering to social work

Rob Parsons 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

> Probably need more of this in the modern no job for life world but God knows how you find a decent one in comparison to a self appointed lifestyle / career coach..

> Or are you looking to change sector/job role completely, for example software engineering to social work

A friend of mine did the reverse: she started as a social worker, but retrained as a computer programmer. Her comment at the time was that she was hoping to get on better with machines than she had with people!

Ok - back to the thread ...

OP deaddogsdie 24 Nov 2022
In reply to MG:

Thanks a lot, I sent you a DM. 

OP deaddogsdie 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

Thanks for your message. At this stage I just want to have a chat with someone to work through some thoughts. But the end point will likely be leaving the sector I'm in. Good idea about the professional body - I'll get in touch with them. Agreed re uni careers service not being much help. 

spenser 24 Nov 2022
In reply to coldfell:

Possibly, I remember it suggesting police officer, electronic engineer or mechanical engineer. It transpires I have very limited aptitude for programming and don't really go for authority, I did however wind up studying mechanical engineering and have been working as one for 7 years now. 

The bun fight for grad jobs means that careers advice at uni wasn't very useful (well, that and the insistence on assessment centres which I find to be a really unhelpful interview format).

Alex Pryor 24 Nov 2022
In reply to MG:

Does your spouse also work with school students looking for university courses?

I'm helping a refugee with his 1st year A Level Maths and Further Maths (he's also taking Physics and Chemistry but thinking of dropping either Chem or FM to AS). Trouble is he doesn't know what he wants to do after Uni (much like me at his age 50 years ago!)

Forest Dump 25 Nov 2022
In reply to Alex Pryor:

No rush, he'll probably need a post grad qualification anyway!

MG 25 Nov 2022
In reply to Alex Pryor:

Yes, experience with both refugees and students. Again, feel free to DM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...