Car trade in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Feb 2020

Do car dealers accept trade ins on cars with outstanding work? We've a Jazz with £490 work due but feel its time to get another car. Also has dented bodywork.

Autotrader suggests £800 in good condition. Obviously not in good condition! 

Wiley Coyote2 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Probably depends how much you want and how eager they are to sell. I once 'traded in' an absolute wreck which  they gave me £600 for on the strict condition that I just took it away and never brought it near them again. Essentially they were just giving me a £600 discount and calling it a trade in

Jamie Wakeham 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

They might... but an £800 car with £500 of work needed is only worth £300. Okay, they won't be paying £500 for the work as their own mechanics will do it in a quiet time, but even so I think you'll be pretty lucky to get much knocked off for it.

This might be one of those occasions where We Buy Any Car could be worth a look. They'll not give you much either, but it might actually be better to haggle with the dealer without the added complication of the old car in the mix?

Donotello 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Just put it on eBay; my Passat e brake got stuck and the started motor blew up and I couldn’t move it for months so just went and bought a new car, put the Passat on eBay (all passenger doors dented) and it went for 250 👌🏼

LastBoyScout 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Put it on local free ad site/Facebook MarketPlace / eBay with an honest description/for spares/repair.

Someone will probably have it for a few hundred quid, fix it and use it - possibly a local mechanic or delivery driver.

J1234 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I think the kind of car trader you need, is called a scrapyard.

marsbar 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

I have heard of that happening.  Its always worth a try.  

Dax H 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Can you define £490 work due? 

I would go look at the car you want, ask them about PX but unless it's a safety issue I wouldn't mention anything you think needs doing to it. 

In reply to Flinticus:

A number of dealers offer a "scrapoage" deal, not always exclusive to new cars. You could try one of these?

Makes me wonder what discount they would offer if you don't burden them with the car. 

OP Flinticus 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Front drive shaft needs replacing 

MarkAstley 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

490 seems very expensive for a drive shaft.

Parts plus an hour labour, I'd expect 2-300 max, 

Ring around for some other quotes if you haven't already, avoid franchises and go local, 

Mark

Dax H 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Front drive shaft needs replacing 

Does it drive? 

Is it noisy? 

If the answer is yes and no then drive it and PX it, if they don't check it over that's on them. 

jkarran 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

It's an excuse to discount and a convenience for you, they dispose of your old car and discounts remain conditional. My guess is they won't really care much about condition and the price you get will have more to do with how much they're willing to move on the new car than what you leave leaking on their forecourt when you drive away. Ultimately it'll go to auction or scrap as is for someone else to deal with.

jk

Post edited at 10:56
 Mike Stretford 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> This might be one of those occasions where We Buy Any Car could be worth a look. They'll not give you much either, but it might actually be better to haggle with the dealer without the added complication of the old car in the mix?

I did this when my old car had a knackered turbo. Got £400 more from WBAC than the dealer offered. Neither asked about the condition of the car, they just look and drive it forward and backward.

OP Flinticus 14 Feb 2020
In reply to MarkAstley:

We had a local we used. Closed a few months back after a large fire started in a neighbouring building / business. Oddly enough one selling fire surrounds and stoves.

Pyreneenemec 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Off subject, but worth thinking about :

Five years ago, we bought a recent Renault Clio from a main dealer ( low mileage, super condition) paid cash but took a 2000 euro loan from the dealer which gave us a 300 euro discount. Repaid the loan a month later. Everyone happy ! 

Nempnett Thrubwell 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

In my experience trade-ins fall into 2 categories 

Cars which match the retail profile of the dealer - i.e. one which they can give a branded service and clean up and put straight onto their own forecourt with a price tag that gives them a worthwhile profit.

Anything else which goes to a trade auction. - in which case all they will offer is current auction price minus their costs.

If the dealer you are buying from sells second hand jazz for £1000 or more and has their own workshop - you may get a better price - otherwise every other dealer will only offer you auction value minus their costs - plus or minus how much profit there is in the car want to buy from them.

I think in your case - they are only going to be interested if you're buying a new car. Otherwise they just won't be bothered with the hassle of getting their regular auction broker to come and haul it away -  they'll probably give you a story about how they'll can only offer you peanuts and that you'll get a better price selling it yourself.

Post edited at 07:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...