Car tampering at Moss Rake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone had any problems parking at Moss Rake? I nearly had a front wheel come off whilst driving home last week. Several bolts missing, the remainder very loose. The most likely opportunity for this to have happened was when parked at Moss Rake. The only other possibility was Intake parking but for several reasons this seems much more unlikely. I'd be interested to know of any other incidents.

spenser 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

It definitely sounds a bit exciting.

I've not parked at Moss Rake so can't comment on that. Apparently the chappy in the caravan at Intake is getting a bit twitchy about people parking up and going climbing there at the moment so you may be better off parking at the Middleton Top Car Park and walking in from there. 

Dan Arkle 03 Jun 2020

There were reports of tires being let down at calver crossroads a few weeks ago. On the little one way rd by the sports field. 

Hi Colin,

Given that we're talking about Moss Rake I thought I'd add a quick reminder that there is a restriction on the crag until 30th June due to nesting birds. 

There was a discrepancy between what was on the BMC RAD and the UKC database which has potentially caused some confusion, but this has now been rectified and people should definitely not be climbing there.

If anyone else was thinking of heading there please give it a miss until the beginning of next month.

Thanks.

Removed User 03 Jun 2020

Car parked in the Pass on Sunday rolled over some well placed nails. Was on the local facebook pages

profitofdoom 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

> Car parked in the Pass on Sunday rolled over some well placed nails. Was on the local facebook pages

What Pass, there are many, I suppose you mean Llanberis, could you please clarify, THANKS

ianstevens 03 Jun 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> What Pass, there are many, I suppose you mean Llanberis, could you please clarify, THANKS

Yes, the pass. 

Edit to be super clear -

Post edited at 15:03
 johncook 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

There is another thread about Moss Rake and I noted the bird ban on there. It seems that people do not know about the RAD well enough. The posters were surprised to hear it existed and said they would use it before going to a crag now they knew.

Neil Williams 03 Jun 2020

Would report that to the Police - it could well be investigated as attempted murder, because a wheel coming off at motorway speeds could be reasonably expected to cause death.

Post edited at 15:48

Thanks for highlighting this. If I'd been aware I certainly wouldn't have visited Moss Rake. I had a day at Moss Rake around this time last year and remember the advice re the nesting birds then being to avoid the wall they were nesting on. To be honest I'd completely forgotten about them until I was back there this year and assumed there was a similar arrangement this year. I'll certainly be avoiding the venue until after the end of the restriction. However from my experience this year, I think the trials bikes represent a greater problem

Hi Colin,

No worries, the fact it is such a new crag hasn't helped - and that the restriction has indeed changed. To further add to the issues there was a discrepancy between the info on the BMC's RAD and the UKC Database, so it's not just you.

Please spread the message around, as climbers are certainly being noticed (and not in a good way). That said, I'm inclined to agree - we are by no means the most significant problem within that particular area.

I went there this afternoon for a look after getting rained off at Stoney. The slab looks worthwhile, but the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired, and has zero aesthetic appeal on any level. In comparison Horseshoe looks far better. The size of the excavation is worth seeing, and if I had a trials bike I'd be in there like a shot.

The DWT/Police notices (at the entrance) about Schedule 1 birds are impossible to miss.

TobyA 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Frank the Husky:

The slab routes are nice, and it has a special place in my heart because not only did I climb a 6b there, I did it onsight - which I don't think I've ever done before in the UK! But beyond that, there isn't much to recommend it. You are literally down a hole so there is no view beyond the rest of the quarry.

In reply to Frank the Husky:

You’ve conjured quite an image there 😂

Glad to hear the signs are up, should be a lot more obvious now. 

You manage to get anything done at Stoney before the rain came in? It’s been drizzling on and off in Bamford all day, but has just brightened up. Think it’s due to crap out again very shortly though!

Post edited at 16:16
 Mowglee 05 Jun 2020

Did you report this to the police? Just seen a post of facebook about someones front wheels both being loosened after climbing at Stoney. Sounds like there could be a local nutjob taking exception to people climbing.

steveb2006 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Mowglee:

Where abouts where they parked at Stoney - in the big layby?  Was there yesterday but no problems fortunately

In reply to Mowglee:

No I haven't reported it, but given your post I agree it's probably worth doing. Cheers

We were just mucking about in cracks, nothing really significant. We also looked down a massive hole.

Bigpete 07 Jun 2020

Just looked on RAD, search does not find moss rake?

johncook 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Bigpete:

Just checked. It does. Maybe the RAD like capital letters.

goat1bird 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Bigpete:

I can't find Moss rake on the RAD app either. More than happy to abide by the bird ban rules, but difficult to do so if RAD not showing the crag

goat1bird 09 Jun 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

Thanks for that - so, I've checked on the BMC website and I can see Moss Rake. However, I normally use the RAD app (as pushed out by the BMC webpage) and Moss Rake doesn't show up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...