Car for an arthritic dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheTwig 18 Jun 2019

Currently using my wife’s old Nissan Qashquai - love it; nice drive and probably (touch wood) the most reliable motor I’ve had in nearly 35 years of driving.  Regularly driving nearly 1,000 mile round trips to Europe for the past 18 months.

Sadly, one of my dogs has been diagnosed with arthritis and is starting to struggle jumping into the boot - the Qash has quite a high lip and he has started to struggle clearing this. Unfortunately I struggle to lift him (as the consultant said ‘because of all the stupid things you’ve done in the past’ - climbing/falling, parachuting, kayaking, long runs with heavy loads etc.).  So, I’m looking for recommendations for an elderly dog-accessible motor.

My wife has an Opal Mokka which has a level access, but a) this is based in Europe and b) I hate driving the fecker.

Any suggestions?

In reply to TheTwig:

Honda crvs are good dog trucks, no high lip and a big boxy boot. 

Car access ramps are available or you could make your own. 

girlymonkey 18 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

Something like this should solve the problem

http://www.studio.co.uk/shop/en/studio/portable-pet-ramp

OP TheTwig 18 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

I’ve tried an improvised ramp, but the bugger refused to use it - jumped in instead! Guess I could try and use it as a decoy for a while.  I think he would only use a ramp that was so wide I would need a trailer to transport it.

Will look at the CRV.  

Many thanks.

Ridge 18 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

Depends what you want. I'm about to get rid of my Kia ceed hatchback with 152,000 trouble free miles for a newer estate version of the same car. Decent boot with a flat floor and no lip,  will be used as dog transport. Not the most exciting of motors but gets the job done at a reasonable price and better MPG than a CR-V (although the CR-V is a bloody nice motor).

Dave the Rave 18 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

Old Volvo v70 estate. No lip. Huge boot and quite low. 

In reply to TheTwig:

Car access ramps for canines in Aldi presently .

Worth checking out 

TWS

Post edited at 08:18
 toad 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

Ramp is the best bet. Even a low boot will involve a jump. A folding ramp doesnt takee much room and is quite light

knighty 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

The problem is that you are suggesting mini SUVs, which are just normal family cars with a higher ride height - presumably all of these will have high boots?

I'd say you need a traditional estate car. The trusty V70 has already been mentioned, and I'd second that!

Gone 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

> I think he would only use a ramp that was so wide I would need a trailer to transport it.

Multiple Aldi ramps side to side? 

He might benefit from training.  Set it up with planks across the whole width of the boot and blocked off at the sides so he can’t jump in, get him to climb up, give treat and praise, repeat with one plank removed, continue for as long as it takes for an old dog to learn a new trick.

artif 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

+1 for the dog ramp. Our newfie was reluctant at first but he soon got used to it with a little training.

Have to disagree with the v70 recomendation, SWMBO got one for similar dog reasons, despite my protests. Absolutely awful car, turning circle of supertanker. Even with standard wheels and tyres the ride is terrible, unless the roads are snooker table flat. Also I can can drive it a maximum of 1.5 hours before getting debilitating back ache.

Not to mention the interesting electrical faults they're known for and definitely one of the worst auto boxes I've driven.

For long distance drives my 30year old ex military Defender is the much preferred option (not exactly known for comfort or handling).

cander 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

We’ve just got a new Volvo V60 it’s an excellent car, no high lip and good size rear for the dog bed - they did an excellent deal (about £10,000 off the book price inc trade in and BASC discount).

Welsh Kate 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Gone:

Yes - training! Old dogs can definitely learn new tricks!

Make sure the surface of the ramp is a nice grippy one for him - stick a piece of old carpet or fake grass that you can get from a DIY store on it if that makes it a nicer and easier surface. And make sure the incline isn't too steep for him - stick a support under the far end if necessary so he has a couple of steps up and then the ramp if that eases the incline sufficiently.

Then coax him up on a lead, using his favourite treats on the ramp at intervals. Lots of support and praise.

At least try it rather than trading in a car that you love.

Dave Garnett 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

So, nothing to do with finding the ideal vehicle for an exciting, outdoor, but mature, sex life then?

MeMeMe 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

We've not got a dog but we do have a Berlingo, I think it would make a good dogmobile, it's got a pretty low flat boot with no lip and loads of space.

We get 50mpg out of ours in mixed driving.

Pefa 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

A Rover. 

Andy 1902 19 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

What are you going to do in a year or two, buy a new car with a tail lift?

Ramp is best solution unless you just want an excuse to buy a new car.

OP TheTwig 20 Jun 2019

Thanks for all the suggestions - I’ll try the ramp again.

LastBoyScout 20 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

Surely whether he can comfortably reach the pedals is a bigger concern than the height of the boot?

upordown 20 Jun 2019
In reply to TheTwig:

> Thanks for all the suggestions - I’ll try the ramp again.

Put the ramp flat on the ground and get the dog happy with walking on it. Then elevate slightly e.g. up a step or similar. Build up the incline until it's car height. Do this in several separate sessions. Use lots of treats so the dog thinks the ramp is a wonderful thing. And as Welsh Kate said, make sure the surface is grippy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...