Car Crash Politics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 04 Sep 2019

Anyone listening to PMQs?

What happened to the "Great Orator" Johnson?

So far we've had him call JC a Chlorinated Chicken, and now he comes out with:

"Call an election you great big girls' blouse!"

He's really not very good at this is he?

Imagine all your life trying to get a job, and then when you finally get it realising you're crap at it

colinakmc 04 Sep 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

No surprise then.....conversely Corbyn sounds positively forensic by comparison. If he can recover the damage caused by his “ambiguity” strategy towards  brexit we might have an alternative to the tories again.

earlsdonwhu 04 Sep 2019

Many people get promoted one level above their optimum but in BJ's case I would not trust him to make the tea.

OP balmybaldwin 04 Sep 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

Unexpectedly, yesterday his prevarication on the labour brexit position came across as a strength so who knows?

Pefa 04 Sep 2019

> Anyone listening to PMQs?

> What happened to the "Great Orator" Johnson?

> So far we've had him call JC a Chlorinated Chicken, and now he comes out with:

> "Call an election you great big girls' blouse!"

> He's really not very good at this is he?

It's school playground level politics by the Trumplet which is easily digestible to the British people he is talking to. Don't be fooled this isn't for intelligent people it's for the electorate raised on a diet of Tory tabloids. 

In reply to Pefa:

> Don't be fooled this isn't for intelligent people it's for the electorate raised on a diet of Tory tabloids. 

Or, judging by this morning's presentation of the debate on BBC News, for BBC viewers. Johnson's ineptitude did not come across during the video snippet, as they cut between Corbyn speaking and Johnson gurning and gesticulating in his best 'smiley, jolly chap of the people' mode.

I also failed to spot the reporting on his 'negotiations are going brilliantly, chums' lie being flatly denied by the EU "we're no involved in any negotiations..."

Lusk 04 Sep 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I also failed to spot the reporting on his 'negotiations are going brilliantly, chums' lie being flatly denied by the EU "we're no involved in any negotiations..."

Andrew Neil just gave some Tory on a good grilling on that very subject, answered with a load of waffle.

Jon Stewart 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Great report from Matt Fry on Channel 4 News talking to some Euro bureaucrats, who were telling it pretty straight: Johnson is an English nationalist no better than Farage, a liar, and is simply pretending that there are negotiations ongoing, when nothing is happening. Our chief negotiator wouldn't answer a single question. It was rather embarrassing. 

And just now, in the Commons, apparently something weird has just happened that might have killed off the anti-no deal bill, by accident, or maybe not. Car crash politics for sure.

In reply to Lusk:

I saw that.... it seems the Tory strategy is to put ever less credible junior MPs in front of the press with instructions to lie through their teeth

Bob Kemp 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> And just now, in the Commons, apparently something weird has just happened that might have killed off the anti-no deal bill, by accident, or maybe not. Car crash politics for sure.

I was hoping for something like a huge kraken rising up from the Thames and smothering the House of Parliament. Disappointed. 

jkarran 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I can't get C4 news and there's nothing obvious on the other channels, what's happened to derail this so soon?

jk

In reply to jkarran:

As I understand it:

Stephen Kinnock's amendment went through without a vote, despite the No lobby being packed because the government did not provide tellers and a second verbal check was made when the No voters were not in the chamber (as they were in the No Lobby. Bloody dodgy stuff.

His amendment could be read to bring the TM deal back to the house for another vote (I'm not sure it does)

This amendment could usually be stripped in the Lords and sent back to the house.... but of course there's no time for that.

Nigel Benn has said they probably won't strip it for this reason, and it doesn't prevent the purpose - to prevent no deal.

Read this commentary thread from here: https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1169315285540777984

This all happened under a deputy speaker, and you can clearly her him being prompted to pass the bill (not sure who by) followed by a call of "Excellent" this is after the first announcement of the vote and a division https://twitter.com/alexpartridge87/status/1169317676021407744

Post edited at 21:59
 Jon Stewart 04 Sep 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> I can't get C4 news and there's nothing obvious on the other channels, what's happened to derail this so soon?

Some very arcane procedure about what happens if there's no one in the lobby to actually count the votes has let in some amendment (something resurrecting something or other from the May deal, from some Labour MPs) that somehow does something. The reporting wasn't at all clear, and I've mangled it further. There was no explanation of how it derailed the bill, but was presented as a very cunning trick that put the shits up the rebel alliance. Conclusion: someone did something sneaky but it probably won't matter.

Sorry I can't give you a run down that makes sense!

Post edited at 21:57
 Jon Stewart 04 Sep 2019

Thanks - that looks a smidge more informative.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm still trying to work out exactly what has happened, and can't for the life of me find the actual text of the amendment, but seen it reported as being a direction to make the formal reason for the extension of Art 50 to be in order to allow time for MPs to agree changes they want to the political declaration and have them incorporated into a new version of the May deal (with opportunity to pass it)

Therefore this makes the bill a bit more "but we will still brexit" but doesn't seem to do anything to prevent the purpose of ruling out no deal by default (but does make it less attractive to Remainers) - Commentators seem to think it was a purposeful act by the Gov to try to prevent MPs passing the third reading (which of course they have).

My conclusion so far is it's a dirty trick that is a minor inconvenience but not causing any alarm re: No Deal

Post edited at 22:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...