Can you recommend a Camp bed for family, car based camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stuart Wildman 03 Aug 2021

Hi

Getting a bit tired of the inflatable mattress going soft after a night (especially the kids ones). So wondering if those old school metal frame with stretched canvas beds are any better?

Or something else, which is comfy and doesn't cost the earth.

Cheers

mik82 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Stuart Wildman:

I remember sleeping on those when younger and they weren't great, and tended to be squeaky.

Alpkit Dozer self-inflating mattress would be my recommendation.

HomerTheFat 03 Aug 2021

2nd the Dozers - they even do a double. they are warm and don't deflate overnight and are say to inflate and transport

Jan Pawlowski 03 Aug 2021

+1 for Alpkit Dozer

Steve Claw 03 Aug 2021

Definatey go for a self inflating one. Camp beds are terrible.

We have Vango 7.5cm ones for the children, and Airgo 10cm ones (from Go outdoors) for us. The Airgo ones are great, but I'm sure any 10cm one is pretty much the same.

ben b 03 Aug 2021

Depends on your budget. But the Helinox Cot One (not the Lite) is amazing if you can find one and afford it. I picked one up in a sale in the US and it was still expensive but gets a lot of use and was absolutely worth it. 

The tension mechanism is very well designed and the surface becomes very solid and stable. The M frame scout cots wobble drunkenly and sag.

Also can add a bunch of Easton legs and get it up to normal bed height rather than futon, I believe. 

b

Just purchased and had 3 nights on a berghaus air 10 (£110 from go outdoors) . Seems like a lot of money for a sleeping mat but definitely the best night's sleep I've had in a tent have used several other quality thermarest lightweight mats and also cheaper high gear 5cm car camping mats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...