Can I repair my Wild Country Mistrel tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Aug 2021

A couple of days at I got my 26 year old Wildcountry Mistrel tent out of the attic so that I could camp overnight in Anglesey to photograph the Persieds and Milky Way.

Even though its at least 15 years since I used the tent, its still structurally sound and faired well to a breezy night pitched on sand.

However there is one problem. All the sealed seams on the Flysheet have perished.

Is there any way that I can re-seal the seems without going to Wildcountry to fix them?

The repair would cost roughly what I paid for the tent.

Cheers muchly

Post edited at 10:14
 Trangia 14 Aug 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

You should be able to buy a tube of seam sealer from any outdoor shop and do it yourself. I used to have to do this to my TNF Westwind tent every few years, and it's very effective.

It's a fiddly sticky job though, so you need patience and space to spread the fly sheet out so that you don't inadvertently stick a bit you have just done to another part of the tent!! The final fiddly job is then getting the sticky stuff off your finger! So get well organised before you start.

Good luck. 

Mal Grey 14 Aug 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd probably just go with something like Seamgrip. I've used that successfully before, just take your time making sure its properly into the thread holes.

May be worth giving the flysheet a going over with Fabsil or similar while you're at it.

OP The Lemming 14 Aug 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

Cheers gents. 😀

The tent is too good to ditch. Its a shame the design became discontinued.

Andypeak 14 Aug 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

It's really easy to seam seal a tent, loads of videos on YouTube. Personally I would pitch the tent on a day with a good forecast and then just pain all the seams with sealant. Personally I always water the sealant down slightly with white spirit so it's the consistency of thin honey. Then just leave it to dry for 24 hours. 

In reply to The Lemming:

Detailed instructions for renewing a tent completely here:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/repairing_tents_a_degraded_or_sticky...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...