Can I add Bluetooth to my Win 10 laptop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nwclimber 20 Jun 2021

I've been given a pair of noise cancelling headphones for my birthday. I would like to use them to listen to music on my laptop. My laptop has Windows 10 OS but does not have Bluetooth installed.

Can I add Bluetooth to my Win 10 laptop? Do I have to make a purchase somewhere (where?) or can I download the necessary 'stuff' from t'interweb? If the latter, what precautions should I take to protect my lappy from Covid 19 or any other virus?

Many thanks in advance for all helpful responses.

fire_munki 20 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

You'll need a USB Bluetooth dongle, they're normally only a few quid from Amazon.

Blue Straggler 20 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

an alternative suggestion is more pricey but possibly more versatile depending upon other devices you may wish to connect the headphones to. 

A Bluetooth transmitter that connects to a 3.5mm jack. So this goes into the headphone jack on your laptop and transmits to the headphones. 

Lurking Dave 21 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

Dumb question, are you sure that you don't have Bluetooth on the laptop already? any laptop that can run Win10... what model is it? 

LD

Wire Shark 21 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

You have a laptop able to run windoze 10, but doesn't have Bluetooth?  Are you sure it doesn't already have Bluetooth - it would much harder to buy something without than with?

Ah - see someone has already asked this whilst I was typing.  Will leave my post for emphasis

Post edited at 05:40
OP nwclimber 21 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I've been out all day but will try to connect the headphones to the laptop tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

OP nwclimber 22 Jun 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

I definitely don't have Bluetooth on my laptop. I don't know if it's because it's the Win 10 Home version but I've looked on Device Manager,  and Network Connections and nothing shows up. I've sat with my laptop on my lap, my earphones on my ears and my phone in my hand, and switched on Bluetooth on the phone: it links with the 'phones but the laptop doesn't appear.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions, I'm off to find a dongle!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...