Can I access my doctors notes about me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm sure I can't be the only person on here with a chronic issue with a surgery full of GP's that are arrogant, tunnel visioned, uninterested in the patients insight, fixed into old fashioned idiopathic treatment plans, that just sit there with a patronising half smile that just screams "tell me more Mr Hypochondriac". After one of the worst experiences with a GP I've ever had yesterday (literally continually argued with and talked over me) I'd really love to read the doctors notes on my record, as at this point I'm certain I am walking into an unreceptive room, regardless of doctor. 

I doubt it's possible, I know I can access my medical records but can I see their informal notes? 

Jenny C 10 Sep 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

No the answer you are looking for, but you can change doctors. Very simple to do, just find a new practice and fill in a few forms to register. 

Normally only done when people move house, but you don't have to give a reason and I had no trouble changing after I had issues with my old practice. 

mik82 10 Sep 2019

There's no such thing as "informal notes". All notes are part of your formal medical records, there's no shadow system.

It sounds like your relationship with your doctors has broken down. As mentioned above, why not change surgery if you feel you're not being listened to?

In reply to Jenny C:

Surely the doctors notes would just follow me surgery to surgery?

In reply to mik82:

I'd always heard stories of doctors secret codes on patients notes, and figured they must have some internal notes, but I have no idea how it works. Perhaps just asking for my medical records is all I need to do then? 

dh73 10 Sep 2019

you could make a subject access request under article 15 of the GDPR

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

neilh 10 Sep 2019

You clearly have lost trust if you think that. Move surgery. 

ScottTalbot 10 Sep 2019

Can you not make an official complaint, about the GP in question? If he's talking over you and being patronising, he needs to work on his personal skills.

marsbar 10 Sep 2019

Move surgery.  It doesn't matter about the notes.  Ask around and find a better one.  

marsbar 10 Sep 2019

I think the secret codes are long gone with GDPR.  Notes are computer based and quite factual these days.  

wbo2 10 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

alternatively......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...