Can anyone identify these mountains?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blunderbuss 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

It might help if you said roughly whereabouts the plane was at the time

OP Fredt 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Blunderbuss:

As I said in my comment with the photo, flying over the French Alps, from Manchester to Malta.

mrphilipoldham 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Have a look on flightradar24 or similar, you can view the flight paths of previous trips.

Michael Hood 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Mark Collins's comment on the photo looks to be spot on - Dent Parrachee - I've no idea why he's not sure, looks like a complete match and quality spot to me

Mark Collins 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Cheers Michael, makes me wonder what other quality sub 4000m peaks there are in the alps. Probably hundreds I guess.

Alan Bates 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

Here’s my offering as a starter: Grand Cornier

dread-i 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Just a thought, if you took it with your phone, is there any exif data? Lat and long from gps are included in most phone pics.

felt 27 Sep 2019

> what other quality sub 4000m peaks there are in the alps. Probably hundreds I guess.

Bietschhorn, Piz Roseg, Monte Disgrazia, Monte Viso, Ailefroide, Les Bans, endless list really...

bouldery bits 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Looks like Roseberry Topping to me.

malk 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Fredt: your links no longer work. i'm interested as was coincidentally walking around dent parrachee last friday on the gr5..

cb294 02 Oct 2019

Bietschhorn, Aguille de Argentiere, Aguille de Trelatete, Königsspitze, Ortler, Gross Wannenhorn, Windhorn, Eiger, Grand Cornier, .... 

It is amazing to leave Finsteraarhorn hut in the early hours, and see the hordes trudge off to the Fiescherhörner, while you can have the >3900m Gross Wannenhorn or its neighbours just across the glacier all for your self.

CB

Toerag 02 Oct 2019

> Cheers Michael, makes me wonder what other quality sub 4000m peaks there are in the alps. Probably hundreds I guess.

There's 537peaks of 300m prominence above 3000m, 82 of which are above 4000m, so you're probably right (even though UKC seems to only focus on anything doable from Chamonix).  Good info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountains_of_the_Alps_above_3000_m

Mark Collins 02 Oct 2019
In reply to cb294:

Thanks, great tip

Mark Collins 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks for that

cb294 04 Oct 2019

Gross Wannenhorn is quite popular as a ski mountaineering summit.

However, in summer you are almost always alone. Strange, actually, because it has IMO the best views in the Bernese Alps: Right between Aletschhorn to the West across Aletsch Glacier, Gross Gruenhorn to the North, and Finsteraarhorn across Fiescher Glacier to the East.

Also, the steep West face drops down more than 1000m almost straight to Konkordiaplatz, and to the South you can see the Valais panorama from Fletschhorn to Mont Blanc. 

Fiescher Gabelhorn next door to the North is even less visited and a bit harder.

CB

MG 04 Oct 2019

Try these to be getting on with

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=707

Also Monte Disgrazia, which isn't there for some reason.

Mark Collins 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Both:

Thanks for those

wercat 08 Oct 2019
In reply to cb294:

I had a similarly amazing start alone from the Gleckstein hut, though slightly daunting to see the handful of other torches heading completely away and being on my own.  A beautiful day on the Mittelhorn, alone till I was back at the hut after only a brief time on the summit in the beautiful upper world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...