campervan battery charger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 11 Mar 2020

This is a sort of follow up to my thread from last December https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/campervan_technical_questions-7... I received some great replies on that thread which enabled me to get a battery > battery charging system installed free of charge by the guy who did my conversion. Someone mentioned on that last thread that it's possible, probably desirable, to permanently install a totally automatic smart battery charger in the van and plug this in to the mains to keep the battery topped up during times the van is not in use at home, or is immobile in a campsite for a few days. I've been looking at chargers and it seems a bit of a minefield and need advice. The leisure battery is 105ah and provides power for a small fridge, 4 led lights in the ceiling, a Webasto diesel heater and obviously a phone charger. I don't want to spend a huge amount but am wary of getting something too cheap that's going to let me down or set the van on fire or worse. So... does anyone have any ideas re output, make, price etc?

Thanks.

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2020
In reply to jon:

I put one of these on mine, they are good chargers and a common conversion use, similar load to yours, no problem:

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-energy-blue-smart-ip65-charger-12v-1...

You might get away with a 7A one

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-energy-blue-smart-ip65-charger-12v-7...

The non Bluetooth ones are cheaper if you can find one

Post edited at 11:47
 Alkis 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

On a related note, can anyone recommend a leisure battery? Mine has packed it in.

SDM 11 Mar 2020
In reply to jon:

> I put one of these on mine, they are good chargers and a common conversion use, similar load to yours, no problem:

> You might get away with a 7A one

> //www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-energy-blue-smart-ip65-charger-12v-7a-bluetooth-built-in.html 2

> The  non Bluetooth ones are cheaper if you can find one

I have the IP22 which is likely to do the same job for you as the IP65 (I probably would have got the IP65 instead if it has been in stock). I use it to top up the battery if needed in the winter when the solar panels may not contribute much. Can also be used to charge the vehicle battery if you ever accidentally drain it (may require you to switch charging settings depending on your  is setup which is easy to do).

The Bluetooth is an unnecessary feature in my opinion if you can get a non Bluetooth version, particularly as the Bluetooth range is very limited. Might as well just look at the lights on the unit.

You can get them cheaper than from 12volt planet, but check which cable fittings they come with as many of the cheaper ones will come with a 2 pin European plug. The 12volt planet ones come with a 3 pin UK plug. Also worth noting is that the IP65 should come with cables to connect to your battery, the IP22 does not so you may have to factor in £5-10 for those of you don't already have them.

If you are ever unsure whether a product is suitable for your setup, the phone and email support from 12volt planet is top notch, worth paying a little bit extra for in my opinion. They are amazingly patient with basic questions but also have the knowledge to answer far more complicated queries.

I assume you have some way of reading the voltage and current in your leisure battery? If not, get a voltmeter from Screwfix. They are about a tenner and will confirm whether the battery charge and/or health is the cause of any problems.

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Not sure but i need to replace mine too as it's 10 years old and not really holding charge for long now, i think AGM is the way to go, loads out there, just trying and find one the same size as the old is the main issue.

two_tapirs 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> On a related note, can anyone recommend a leisure battery? Mine has packed it in.

Recently had a new Yuasa L6-EFB fitted, holds the charge really well

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2020
In reply to two_tapirs:

As a Leisure battery ? The EFB is a start stop vehicle battery.....

two_tapirs 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> As a Leisure battery ? The EFB is a start stop vehicle battery.....

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-yuasa-100ah-efb-leisure-battery-l36-e...

Typo on my first post -it's L36, not L6

OP jon 11 Mar 2020
In reply to SDM and Sans-plan:

Thanks for the replies.

So what are the differences between an IP65 and IP22?

Secondly, how do these chargers differ from others that are half the price? Is it that they are fully automated?

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2020
In reply to jon:

The Victron's are a proper 4 stage charger, can recover a battery from a very discharged state correctly and then maintain it, the ones you are seeing are probably just standard trickle charge, if Victron is to expensive have a look at CTEK

IP is the dust and waterproof rating of it, if you are mounting in the van in a cupboard or similar then the IP22 will be fine, it will just likely have holes and vents in it

OP jon 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes, it'll be in a cupboard however, I'm having difficulty finding the IP22. 

I think I'd be better off with a 4 stage charger as I've a feeling my battery was compromised a little during the time it had a split charge relay system (now battery > battery). The CTEK one I've just found is actually more expensive - on Amazon.fr the CTEK MXS 10 is 141€ and the Victron IP65 10A is 132€, so I guess the Victron wins. 12V Planet is a € cheaper but the Amazon price includes free delivery where I live. Thanks for your help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...