Camper van hire for France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 biscuit 29 May 2020

Next Summer we’re hoping to go to the Alps to do an extended stay (a few weeks) for biking and riding. 

We want a more spacious van than we use for the U.K. but aren’t going to buy one for one trip. 

Anyone had any experience of hiring a van in the U.K. to drive out there or hiring a van in France having driven out there? 

A quick google seems to show we could fly first class and stay in a 5* hotel for the cost of most vans for hire.

We’re not after a coachbuilt, just a good size two berth.

Yes we could drive and stay in an air B and B  but we prefer van life. 

Any thoughts appreciated. 

Siward 31 May 2020
In reply to biscuit:

This site:

https://www.goboony.co.uk

seems to have some relatively cheap. You can filter by price. It's a sort of air b'n'b for motorhomes. 

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to biscuit:

Hiring does seem very expensive.  Is there anyway you can use an awning or tent to expand the usable space of your current van?  

Or maybe drive down in your van and get accommodation for some of the time?  

artif 31 May 2020
In reply to biscuit:

Hire a van, double mattress in the back and your camping gear for cooking etc. Much much cheaper. Occasional stay in a hotel

jon 31 May 2020
In reply to biscuit:

What size van are you looking for?

OP biscuit 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Good site that, thanks! 

OP biscuit 01 Jun 2020
In reply to jon:

Bigger than a VW basically, but not a coach built. 

LWB transit size (but nicer to drive than a transit). 

James Malloch 01 Jun 2020
In reply to biscuit:

Hey Andy, hope you’re well!

When would you be looking to go?
Also - what kind of price are things coming out at? I was thinking of doing similar myself but also prices seem pretty high!

OP biscuit 01 Jun 2020
In reply to James Malloch:

Hi James. All good thanks. We'd be going for L'etape which is normally end of July I think.

It seems to come out at about £100 a day give or take. My perfect scenario would be to drive over there in my little economical van packed full and then hire a van once in France. Cheaper on the ferry and for fuel etc.

If I find anything good I'll let you know.

See you at the crag! 

Rigid Raider 01 Jun 2020
In reply to biscuit:

Vans are pretty damned comfortable nowadays. My first job was driving MK1 Transits - nowadays they are a delight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...