Calling the UKC pensions advisors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 30 Aug 2019

There seem to be a fair few people on UKC who understand pensions better than I do (I suspect my sister-in-law's dog might understand pensions better than I do).  I'm hoping that one of you can clarify something that a pensions advisor told me the other day.

My defined benefit pension is due to start paying out next year.  The trustees have written to me explaining that I can opt either to get X amount per year, or Y amount per year plus Z amount as a lump sum.  The pensions advisor said that the lump sum option could be attractive because it represented a fairly generous 1:25 ratio.  At the time he explained it to me it seemed to make sense, but now I can't remember what the ratio was of, or how he calculated it.  And, unfortunately, he's not readily contactable at the moment to ask him to clarify (it was a free consultation and I didn't get any direct contact details for him).

When I had looked at the numbers before it seemed to me that, at current annuity rates, the lump sum Z would likely buy an annuity roughly equal to the difference between X and Y.  Obviously that wasn't what he was basing his 1:25 ratio on.

If it makes any odds, or sheds any light on a possible explanation for his calculation, the lump sum would represent about 17% of the quoted total transfer value of the pension.

Any insights from the stellar financial intellects of UKC would be most welcome...

colinakmc 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Martin W:

My only qualification for saying anything about defined benefit pensions is that I have two of them....I think your 1:25 ratio refers to the amount of annual pension income you give up in exchange for you lump sum. So I think giving up,£1000 per annum income gets you £25000 to put in the bank, pay off your mortgage, buy a nice car or whatever. 

£1000 per annum is about £67 a month after tax at 20%. It’s your call whether that’s an attractive choice, and to what degree - I also believe you can take up to 25% of the value of your pension as a lump sum.

i also found the pension providers (Pensions Trust and Strathclyde Pension Fund in my case) to be very helpful in laying out alternative scenarios for me - they won’t give advice but they’ll tell you what pension income is left relative to which levels of lump sum you might select. Might be worth listing the questions you have and contacting them direct.

And 1:25 does sound quite good, I’ve heard of some calculated at 1:16 or 1:18.

good luck with your machinations, it’s a big change to contemplate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...