Calling All Swedes (or Anyone Living in Sweden)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 02 Jan 2021

Can anyone living in Sweden confirm the relative lack of restrictions there currently for entering from abroad and use of public transport?

I had been planning a Hardangervidda expedition in February for some time, but unfortunately things have tightened up recently so now it seems that quarantining in one's tent is no longer acceptable.  As such, I'm now looking at Sarek in Northern Sweden as my back up; looks spectacular up there and it will be brilliantly cold in Feb

A look at the various sites seems to indicate that there are no restrictions for EU citizens entering, and the same for use of public transport (i.e. no quarantine needed).  Also no test is needed, but I'd do one anyway before travel... its only polite.  Any local comments on how things are over there?  Plan would be to fly from Amsterdam to Stockholm and get the overnight train up to Kiruna.

deepsoup 02 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> .. that there are no restrictions for EU citizens entering ..

Oh, yeah, thanks a lot.  Come on here and rub all our noses in it why don't you?

Bacon Butty 02 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Summo the turnip should be along soon.

birdie num num 02 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

I like the meatballs with the lingonberry sauce and that pale gravy on my chips

summo 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

They have turned folk from the UK around recently in the airport for not having proof of a covid negative test with them. 

https://www.government.se/press-releases/2020/12/negative-covid-19-test-res...

There are exemptions, but tourism certainly isn't one. Everyone here are supposed to stay in their own council region etc. Although vast numbers of city folk travelled out to the country for new year. Most local towns in ski areas aren't particularly receptive to visitors from cities just now. 

Post edited at 07:18
 jimtitt 03 Jan 2021
In reply to summo:

Crayefish lives in Holland.

summo 03 Jan 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

> Crayefish lives in Holland.

If they fly on a UK passport they'll have to prove they haven't connected through. And don't fly via Denmark as there is a travel ban for them too. 

But they shouldn't expect much of a welcome, the majority of swedes have cancelled their ski trips this winter, small local hospitals have said they don't want extra customers with broken legs, or covid and goodwill is burning rapidly with city folk or seasonairres visting & partying. 

The op just needs to do the sensible thing and postpone until 2022. 

In reply to crayefish:

The border between Sweden and Denmark is closed. If trying to enter via the bridge, you will be turned around.

https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/start

OP crayefish 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Yeah I noticed... I think to do with the new strain being common in Denmark too.

Any other trip I would have (and have) cancelled.  But as I'll be solo for 2 weeks with no interactions, as well as testing before, I still plan to go.  A whole year of nothing higher than a speed bump (except the locals) does get to one!

Doug 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Its maybe not quite what you had in mind but a couple of years ago I passed a couple of skiers hauling a sledge along the Grande traversée du Jura. Its close to 200 km & usually done on light XC gear staying in bunkhouses &/or hotels but they were camping &  on alpine skis. I think travel from the Netherlands to France is still OK (but could change obviously), see https://www.gtj.asso.fr/itineraires-et-activites/gtj-a-ski-de-fond/ & https://www.espacenordiquejurassien.com/

summo 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> Any other trip I would have (and have) cancelled.  But as I'll be solo for 2 weeks with no interactions, as well as testing before, I still plan to go.  A whole year of nothing higher than a speed bump (except the locals) does get to one!

Selfish would be the understatement. Don't blame anyone if you catch covid whilst travelling and find you need medical help whilst in the middle of no where. I know  35yr old who went to A&E yesterday with breathing difficulties, they weren't a high enough priority to be kept in, but were advised to move in with a friend who has already had covid, so if they got worse the friend could ring for the ambulance. 

OP crayefish 03 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Btw; in retrospect, yeah I get your point.  Wasnt my intention!  But apologies for that anyway.

In reply to Doug:

Thanks for the links.  An option to consider if the situation changes.

OP crayefish 03 Jan 2021
In reply to summo:

You're entitled to your opinion of course.  If UK restrictions are lifted, am sure most will head up to the mountains in the same way to do what is legal.

summo 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> You're entitled to your opinion of course.  If UK restrictions are lifted, am sure most will head up to the mountains in the same way to do what is legal.

The restrictions aren't anything to do with the UK. And most people in sweden have cancelled plans, the busiest place in sweden just now is the phone line to skistar or folksam(insurance), I'd imagine STF will be reviewing their current position of limiting opening and pre booked stays only. (No dorms, 1 party per room etc), very limited catering. I'd be amazed if they don't close entirely.

Legal!? Swedish Parliament will be passing new laws this week which allows it to legally enforce many of the previously advisor guidelines, because of the number of idiots who think they know better are spoiling it for the masses who are doing the right thing. 

summo 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

You might want to look in the swedish press today, a minister is being hammered for holidaying. That's what the Swedes will be thinking about you when you land. 

deepsoup 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> Btw; in retrospect, yeah I get your point.  Wasnt my intention!  But apologies for that anyway.

Heh, no worries.  I did think about adding a " ".

OP crayefish 03 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Haha.  Always hard to tell via message   But you still had a point 🙈

Brexit... the gift that keeps on giving 🙄

Post edited at 13:48
 Jenny C 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> Brexit... the gift that keeps on giving 🙄

Don't be you mean taking?

Brev 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Apart from traveling to sweden being ill-advised for the reasons Summo has already mentioned, have you considered the return journey? Dutch government are now requiring negative covid test for anyone flying to the netherlands, so you'd need to organise a test in sweden.

You say you'll spend 2 weeks without interactions, but you'll be on a plane, on a train, then another train back to stockholm, presumably you'll need to buy food and gas, then you need to go to a swedish covid test center, and possibly spend 3 days in a town while waiting for the results before flying back. That's quite a few interactions all in all.

deepsoup 03 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> Haha.  Always hard to tell via message   But you still had a point 🙈

The pain is real, but I think from now on it's going to be an important survival skill to be able to see the funny side of EU citizens taking the piss..

In reply to crayefish:

Have you seen this web page with emergency information from the Swedish authorities ?

https://www.krisinformation.se/en/hazards-and-risks/disasters-and-incidents...

Currently, coming from the Netherlands (EU) you are good to go.

OP crayefish 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Thanks for your reply Stefan.  I had seen that page, but wasn't sure how official it was.  Good to know its offical; will keep an eye.

Will have to see how things look for travel/return etc next month... a lot can change (probably not for the better).  Will prepare as planned, and if it has to be postponed for a year, then it is what it is.  Probably make a call beginning of Feb based on current situation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...