Buying Russian stocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I realise many will find this distasteful but capitalism is. 

It appears to be a good time to buy in to Russia. The rouble is low, stock prices will be low also.

However trading is difficult/impossible for the retail investor.

Any ideas how to buy in?

I cannot believe that those in the banking business are missing out on the opportunity. 

Wainers44 05 May 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Nice one. Have a good day

ExiledScot 05 May 2022

The only Russian stocks most want are those to put Putin in. 

You've clearly not even gone so far as Google, have you?

But anyway, for chuckles, something like this will have the exposure you're chasing: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/hsbc-etfs-plc-msci-russ...

Best of luck.

Post edited at 06:59

You're on the wrong forum.  Try www.tory_bastards.co.uk/how_to_break_sanctions

The Rouble is ~25% higher Vs. £ compared to pre invasion 

Edit: Closer to ~35% higher

Post edited at 08:50
 wercat 05 May 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

A Russian gun with bullets to put in his head and genitals would not be turned down here

planetmarshall 05 May 2022

> I realise many will find this distasteful but capitalism is. 

It doesn't have to be. There are such things as ethical investments, which this would certainly not be.

> I cannot believe that those in the banking business are missing out on the opportunity. 

Aside from it being ethically reprehensible (and thus a PR disaster for anyone caught doing such a thing), it's quite likely to be illegal under the sanctions provisions.

I am not a lawyer but the sanctions guidance is full of statements such as 

It is also prohibited for a person to directly or indirectly deal with a transferable security or money-market instrument which was issued on or after 1 March 2022 by the Government of Russia (as defined in regulation 6).

Even if I didn't have the ethical reservations I wouldn't touch this stuff with a bargepole.

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> But anyway, for chuckles, something like this will have the exposure you're chasing: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/hsbc-etfs-plc-msci-russ...

I'd be very surprised if you were able to invest in that ETF (I'm surprised to even see it listed). One of its major components is Sberbank which is a sanctioned entity. It's likely other components are also.

wintertree 05 May 2022

> I cannot believe that those in the banking business are missing out on the opportunity.

I suspect that unlike you, they have been paying attention to the value of the rouble and would not now be buying regardless of ethics.

> I realise many will find this distasteful but capitalism is. 

It's not capitalism that's ruthlessly shelling, kidnapping, torturing and executing the civilian population of Ukraine.

Take a look at your OP and ask for the thread to be deleted?  Criticall misinformed and distasteful. 

fred99 05 May 2022
In reply to wercat:

> A Russian gun with bullets to put in his head and genitals would not be turned down here

Far too quick a death in my view.

streapadair 05 May 2022

You could look at an IT such as JRS, but beware, it's trading at a 120% premium to its NAV. A UT avoids this trap - e.g. Liontrust Russia, which is dragging itself from the pit. 

profitofdoom 05 May 2022

> It appears to be a good time to buy in to Russia. The rouble is low, stock prices will be low also......

Russian stocks are fine, especially the beetroot, but I still prefer Knorr chicken stock 

wbo2 05 May 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:  The banking sector are likely aware that if they ever make any money there will likely be a special tax encountered, and then due to 'irregularities' ownership of the country needs to go to someone responsible (friend of friend of Putin)

In reply to streapadair:

> You could look at an IT such as JRS, but beware, it's trading at a 120% premium to its NAV.

An index tracker usually works by holding stocks in proportions that closely replicate the index. Since said stocks are likely to be held in entities under sanctions either now or in the future (eg, Gazprom and Sberbank comprise 35% of the Russia Capped Index tracker mentioned above, both of which are under sanctions), I'm not sure how such an investment could be

1. Legal
  2. Ethical,  or
  3. Wise.

Maybe 3/10 and in poor taste. Might have given you 4/10 without the clickbait-esque final sentence.

CantClimbTom 05 May 2022

Maybe, but although you might find this emotive and distasteful, it might be like saying a good opportunity to invest in children's coffin makers or something.

Just because you could make money on something doesn't mean you should

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Bad analogy. Children’s coffin makers aren’t actually killing children. 

Investing in something like coffin makers might seem a bit morbid and opportunistic, but it wouldn’t actually be funding war crimes. 

I thought I would get a rough ride.

I am a rather strident lefty who has developed an if you can't beat em, attitude over the years.

My thoughts are:

Wise investors buy the unfashionable, Russia certainly is this. 

The disaster capitalists will be along as soon as the markets re open, if not already. 

It is Putin and his regime that are at fault, not the Russian people. Guess who the sanctions will hit the hardest. Buying into a Russian company may keep a family breadwinner employed. I do recognise that vlad may get a slice of this too. 

Any investment would certainly be long term and not without risk but Russia is a large country and will recover. 

Sunak is in, I wouldn't be surprised if tree-frog's hedge fund is in. If that pair of cnts are making then why not the rest of us. 

I realise this won't be popular. It's a more extreme version of buying shell after an oil spill or global mega Corp after the ceo had been caught with rent boys and coke and waiting for the recovery. 

> Wise investors buy the unfashionable, Russia certainly is this. 

No. Wise investors buy assets they believe to be undervalued by the market, and have the capital to sustain the investment until the market corrects itself.

Sometimes investments are unfashionable because they are undervalued. Sometimes it's because they are worthless. 

By all means try to find a way to invest in Russian assets, but I would seriously first take some legal advice.

streapadair 05 May 2022
In reply to planetmarshall:

Sorry for the ambiguity - I meant IT = Investment Trust.

Philip 06 May 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> You've clearly not even gone so far as Google, have you?

> But anyway, for chuckles, something like this will have the exposure you're chasing: https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/h/hsbc-etfs-plc-msci-russ...

> Best of luck.

In Russia, even dead cat does not bounce :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...