Buyimg oil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 30 Mar 2020

If I buy crude oil futures and do nothing what happens? Does a lorry appear eventually with them to deliver? 

tjdodd 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

The USA will invade you and stick a flag in your back garden.

Deadeye 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Pretty much, yes.  You're entering a legal contract to buy something at a certain price on a certain date.  When that date arrives you need to pay the money and the goods become yours.  If you're asking the question, it might be that this area of speculation is a little high risk just yet.

OP MG 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

It was more curiosity.  I may go for pork bellies instead

dread-i 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

You need to go for 'options'. Then you have the option of taking delivery or not. If they go up, you can sell them. If they go down, you only loose your stake.

mondite 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

This https://thedailywtf.com/articles/Special-Delivery bounces around the IT world from time to time.

Not sure how based in fact it is but is entertaining.

BnB 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

> Pretty much, yes.  You're entering a legal contract to buy something at a certain price on a certain date.  When that date arrives you need to pay the money and the goods become yours.  If you're asking the question, it might be that this area of speculation is a little high risk just yet.

Not necessarily. Many futures contracts are CFDs (contracts for difference) which means you never buy the underlying asset, you simply pay or receive the difference in price between the spot value and the agreed contract level when the maturity date arrives.

OP MG 30 Mar 2020
In reply to BnB:

So if I actually do want some barrels of oil, buying them is a different process?

tjdodd 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

In reality if you do get to the delivery phase of a future you would most likely have the crude oil stored in a large facility which you would pay rent for.

Blue Straggler 30 Mar 2020
In reply to mondite:

> This https://thedailywtf.com/articles/Special-Delivery bounces around the IT world from time to time.

> Not sure how based in fact it is but is entertaining.

I remember this one and I still wish they'd worked a lot harder on the storytelling and the cringeworthy dialogue!

wintertree 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

I’d go for frozen concentrated orange juice futures.

BnB 30 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I wouldn't try to anticipate demand for commodities. I'd just buy shares in high-quality beaten-up cyclical companies, banks, insurance companies, aeroplane and capital goods manufacturers, furniture and clothing retailers, hotel chains etc and wait for a recovery. As an example, JD Sports is the best-performing stock of the past 10 years on the London Stock Exchange. After all, who doesn't own multiple pairs of trainers? Or rather it was. It lost two thirds, yes two thirds, of its valuation in less than a month. It has bounced a good deal since then but it may test the lows again.

Before CV-19 the world had been moving out of a tricky couple of years into a growth phase, and the data in January backs that up, so I actually already owned a few of the above anticipating good gains. That isn't exactly how it worked out but I'd be a buyer over the next few months.

Ian W 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> So if I actually do want some barrels of oil, buying them is a different process?

It is. I hope you realise that;

a) oil trades tend to be at, er, quite a high value.

b) you really need a refinery on stand by. Crude isn't very useful without one.

c) It doesn't actually come in a barrel.

wintertree 30 Mar 2020
In reply to BnB:

> I wouldn't try to anticipate demand for commodities.

So you wouldn’t recommend pork bellies then?

This week I’m taking my investment tips from a different movie -  youtube.com/watch?v=qsMc-IswG3w&

Edit:  I have been wondering about piling in to the sort of firms you list, but then I though I could go out gardening instead; although the crash in Tesla stock does keep niggling at me...  

Post edited at 11:26
 Ian W 30 Mar 2020
In reply to BnB:

Yes, its very odd how some stocks hve been performing and i think JD is a prime example; sports wear eqpt has been selling very well of late; there was a little article on the beeb about a supplier somewhere who had sold 10x the number of table tennis tables he normally does - great except that the french and spanish manufacturers have all closed their facilities.....if anyone, JD should continue to perform well...

nufkin 30 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

>  I’d go for frozen concentrated orange juice futures.

Possibly the target market you're anticipating might not be in a mood to actually pay for it, when the time comes to be needing it

overdrawnboy 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Bitcoin still seems to be the thing , I get two emails a day telling me how much Bear Grylls has made, what could possibly go wrong .

Ridge 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

No idea about futures, but I've filled my heating oil tank to the brim to take advantage of the drop in oil prices.

wintertree 30 Mar 2020
In reply to nufkin:

> Possibly the target market you're anticipating might not be in a mood to actually pay for it, when the time comes to be needing it

I'm going to set you some homework...  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086465/

In reply to MG:

> If I buy crude oil futures and do nothing what happens?

Wait until they start paying you to take oil off their hands (proposed as a sane possibility for oil shale extraction on news today...)

krikoman 30 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> It was more curiosity.  I may go for pork bellies instead

You've already got one

OP MG 30 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

😠

nufkin 30 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> I'm going to set you some homework...

Been a while since I saw that - I was thinking you were referring to something different:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...