Butterflies and bees and stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 01 Aug 2021

From the phone this morning, damselflies 

Post edited at 12:19

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Bees on either an alium or a mega thistle (tbh, I’ve not got a clue what the plant is but they’re bee magnets).

Common blue

A moth

Cinnabar moth caterpillars on ragwort

Gatekeeper

Also; heard a golden plover flying over, massive flock goldfinches, kestrel caught vole, willow warbler, few families of whitethroats. Yesterday had a close encounter with a Sparrowhawk when it turned through a gap in a hedge and missed me by 5 feet!

J101 01 Aug 2021

Lovely photos as usual!

The plant is an Echinops Ritro, or Globe Thistle if you like. I've not got space for any at mine as they can get pretty hefty but would love to put a few in if I move anywhere bigger.

Slight hijack, sorry, but wondering if anyone knows what’s what with a round depression I found earlier in July. It was at one of the places you know well - Tentsmuir.

In the forest area, but short grass next to a track, so lots of light gets in. 

squarepeg 01 Aug 2021

That's some camera phone you have. Annoyingly mine has more mega pixels on the selfie lens. Tried taking photos of flowers blindly with the phone on the selfie camera but it's hopeless. 

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I’d say vole holes. 

Edit: I’ve seen surprisingly few birds of prey round Tentsmuir, probably just unlucky because there’s tonnes of good habitat and I’ve seen peregrines at Guardbridge, and saw an osprey catch a flounder on the Eden once. 

Post edited at 07:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...