Budget tripod advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 07 Aug 2022

I'm looking for a new tripod for a Hawke Endurance 12-36x50 compact scope - so criteria are:

• lightweight - so that it's similarly portable to the scope
  • compact - will usually be carried in a small rucksack with the scope - 19" max folded
  • not expensive - doesn't make sense to spend lots when the scope isn't expensive
  • as stable as possible - I realise this is a bit difficult to achieve with the lightweight & cost criteria

On Amazon there are loads of sub-£50 tripods (which would be ideal budget wise) but the reviews are very mixed - does anyone have any experience of these - either good or bad.

Similarly there is a "cheap" Manfrotto (at least this is a known make) - the Compact Action Tripod with pistol grip- this seems to get a lot of recommendations in "best travel tripod" type reviews - does anyone have any experience of this tripod.

Many thanks for any help

Dark-Cloud 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

I have a cheap Amazon one, think its a copy of something or other, its been great so far, i have used it for Camera and Binos

Have a look at K&F, order from Amazon though not direct as i think they are renowned for long shipping times

https://www.kentfaith.co.uk/tripods

Bottom Clinger 07 Aug 2022

I’d buy a cheapo one. My scope is on my wife’s old cheapo one and does the business. In fact, the hide clamp probably cost more than the tripod. 

Don’t know about scope tripods sorry (I don’t yet have a scope) but I saw a possible alternative? - a birdwatcher last week who had a monopod with foldable feet for his Swarovski scope. I unfortunately didn’t get the chance to ask him, but if he was using a monopod for an expensive scope it can’t be that bad for stability can it? When I saw him he didn’t have a hand on the scope nor monopod at all. Would be easier to carry I thought as I would have a camera as well.

Certainly made me think if I do decide on a scope, I would be thinking more initially of a mono pod for portability and convenience accepting it’s limitations. I’ll be interested in replies to the tripod though.

Post edited at 22:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...