Budget car hire, age limits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thinredline20 22 Oct 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Off Belay

Anyone had a problem with being over 65 years old hiring a car with budget. I’m a fit 78 year old, still climbing 6b+6c. I’ve hired a car in Tenerife but anxious about the price being bumped up at desk.

Trangia 22 Oct 2021
In reply to thinredline20:

I'm the same age as you, but I'm afraid that I  don't know the answer to that. The last time I hired a car was 3 years ago in South Africa, just before my 75th birthday. The rental wasn't bumped up then, but I was told that the increase would have kicked in when I was 75, so I just squeezed in at the standard rate. That was with Avis. Most of the smaller companies were increasing the rate for 70+

Do your excess insurance with Insurance4carhire. They did a good deal then IIRC, it was about £45 pa for World Wide Cover excluding the USA. I used to use them a lot and had a couple of claims honoured when taken for a ride with Gold Car in Spain, who charged me for pre-existing damage - don't ever use them they are awful. Going back to excess don't use the car hire company's own scheme - they are much more than Insurance4carhire. Because of the Pandemic I have let my annual excess insurance lapse, so don't know if the premiums are more now, or age loaded.

I'd be interested to know how you get on? I've just done an Annual medical insurance for an up coming holiday in Madeira, and the cheapest premium has doubled since 3 years ago.

Good luck

climberchristy 22 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Gold Car in Spain, who charged me for pre-existing damage - don't ever use them they are awful. 

100% agree. Goldcar in Spain did same to me. Don't touch them. 

yorkshire_lad2 23 Oct 2021
In reply to thinredline20:

There is an article in today's (Sat 23 Oct) on this: "Beware the car hire silver surcharge".  It's on the web, but the Times has a paywall but you can get a free login on their website which gives your a certain number of articles per month.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beware-car-hire-charges-for-older-driver...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...