Broken collarbone & carrying a rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DalesClimber 22 Sep 2022

I broke my collarbone in two places last Sunday after flying over the handlebars of my mountain bike. The pieces are very displaced, so I'm having surgery tomorrow to have a plate/screws put in. Having read some old UKC threads about people's experiences with similar injuries, I'm expecting to need a fair bit of physio before climbing again, but there doesn't seem to be much information on how soon I might be able to carry a climbing rucksack.

I've just cancelled the trip to Nepal which I had planned for October, and am wondering whether rescheduling for next spring would be hopelessly optimistic...

It'd be good to hear from anyone else who's had surgery to plate a broken collarbone - how long was it before you felt able to carry a rucksack with climbing/mountaineering gear in it?

Dark-Cloud 22 Sep 2022
In reply to DalesClimber:

I have done both of mine, not had mine plated as it was both the same fracture (shoulder end smashed off) so I have nothing to add about recovery other than sympathy as both mine hurt like hell.

Hope you heal OK.

Post edited at 20:38
OP DalesClimber 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Sans-Plan:

Ouch!

How long was it before you could carry a rucksack, out of interest? I imagine even without plating it'd be a good few months?

profitofdoom 22 Sep 2022

> Ouch!

> How long was it before you could carry a rucksack, out of interest? I imagine even without plating it'd be a good few months?

I broke my left collarbone (no plating / clean break). It was 6 weeks before I could carry a light pack and even then had to be very careful at first, no sudden movements or jerking 

Hope you heal well and soon 

Post edited at 22:14
 MarkAstley 22 Sep 2022

Broken in 2 places, you did fly......

So one Saturday back in May this year I got catapulted off my roadie and broke my collarbone into 4 pieces, (although I didn't discover this till on the way into theatre the following Friday)

One plate and 11 screws later. I was in a sling for 7 weeks doing mobilisation exercises, basically gentle swings and rotation of hanging arm to keep shoulder free. Nothing above shoulder height.

Went back to work after 8 weeks on light stuff and built up gradually.

Waited until end of August after getting x-ray that showed all breaks healed before going back outside on a bike. Zwift helped .

I had planned to climb again indoors at the same time but so far it's not happened for various reasons. Going Monday though all going well. 

I carried my rucksack with full rack and a rope the other day, just from car into house. Little bit uncomfortable but I think it's ok.

Screw heads are quite visible but they're on the top so the straps don't really contact them. Pressure on them is definitely uncomfortable. 

Surgeon told me the plate needs to stay in 12 months and then if I want to, they'll take it out with all associated risks.

I have some loss of skin sensation as he had to cut one sensory nerve to get the plate in.

Another one is at risk during removal as nerves look very like scar tissue apparently. 

I had 6 physio sessions privately, stayed away from NHS as the physio pathways and goals won't necessarily see you getting back to all previous activities, more 'well you can get to the shops ok' stuff.

Plating will get you back much quicker, but only time will tell how you're going to get on.

I hope your recovery goes well, but I doubt you'll be in a position do much for 2-3 months so spring might be optimistic but who knows. 

Best wishes

Mark

nniff 23 Sep 2022

I broke mine in October one year and after two weeks had it plated back together - this was after a stand-off at the fracture clinic when I refused to see the less-than-impressive guy I saw the first time, who said, verbatim, "You have broken collar bone.  You will be good friends with sling". The nurse standing behind him smiled apologetically and shrugged.  The two week period was not an experience I would care to repeat.

I was ice climbing by February - the challenge was getting some strength back into my shoulder.  The plate was removed after a year, but two screws remain.  It occasionally aches and there is some nerve sensitivity around one of the screw heads, particularly with shirt collar points and sometimes seatbelts.

OP DalesClimber 23 Sep 2022
In reply to MarkAstley:

Thanks - it sounds like what you did was pretty similar, so it's helpful to hear how it's going for you. It's obviously very early days (I'm in hospital right now), but I want go maximise/speed my recovery as far as I possibly can.

I hope your recovery continues well.

> Surgeon told me the plate needs to stay in 12 months and then if I want to, they'll take it out with all associated risks.

Sounds very similar to what I've been told, I'm planning to see how I feel in a year as to whether I pursue this option.

> I had 6 physio sessions privately, stayed away from NHS as the physio pathways and goals won't necessarily see you getting back to all previous activities, more 'well you can get to the shops ok' stuff.

Yes, I have been thinking that I will need to find a good shoulder physio - any recommendations in North Yorkshire welcomed!

OP DalesClimber 23 Sep 2022
In reply to nniff:

> I broke mine in October 

> I was ice climbing by February

This is the kind of uplifting news I need!

I've waited 5 days between break and op, and it’s been excruciating. Can't imagine what 2 weeks of that must have felt like. 

nniff 23 Sep 2022

By way of advice - I offer:

1. diligence with physio, but not stupidity
  2. it takes longer to recover from over-doing it that it would if you had been sensible in the first place.
  3. Depending on the placement of your plate and screws, this may be uncomfortable carrying a rucksack - i hope you mentioned this to the bloke with the drill and screwdriver....
  4. you'll have two main issues:
  • the weakness of the bone/repair, which will take time to repair itself.  Whilst it will be the right shape, it will be vulnerable - see clause 2 and the plate can be bent, which is not helpful.
  • the weakness of the muscle etc - do not expect miracles and see clause 2
 Dark-Cloud 23 Sep 2022

I wasn’t climbing much at the time but I was back on the bike in 4 weeks, probably carrying a pack in 8 both times. I do still struggle with a really heavy bag as it now gives me neck pain with them being rearranged somewhat as I have two dropped shoulders.

wildebeeste 23 Sep 2022

I broke mine about six years ago and had a plate. Healed quickly in terms of strength (paid attention to that in rehab) but it's less flexible (didn't pay as much attention). It's still a little sore. I am fine carrying a light pack, and wearing an SCBA at work for periods of up to a few hours but it would put me off extended backpacking or climbing with any kind of load.

wildebeeste 23 Sep 2022
In reply to nniff:

Yeah! The first nurse I saw told me they don't operate on collarbones and sent me home with ibuprofen! Luckily we persisted and got an excellent surgeon who took care of it (NHS).

OP DalesClimber 25 Sep 2022
In reply to nniff:

Thanks, this is useful advice. The surgeon said it was actually in four pieces when they opened it up, so I definitely did a thorough job of it.

The only movement I'm doing so far is pendulums and gentle mobilisations, so I'm taking it very steady. 

spenser 25 Sep 2022

I subluxated my AC joint and felt comfortable enough carrying a sack for a stay in a bothy about 3.5 months after the surgery, probably needs longer for a broken bone.

In the mean time I suggest getting yourself a bum bag, something like the Osprey Talon 7, means you can carry some kit without putting weight on your shoulder. 

Toby_W 25 Sep 2022

As someone who’s beginning to look a little like Frankenstein and is probably about to get his still broken in pieces collar bone fixed (delayed due to nature of other injuries received at the time and then recently smashing my other arm to bits, screws and plate) my only advice is, as others have said, do your physio religiously and sensibly.

Best of luck

Toby

MarkAstley 25 Sep 2022

You might also want to consider upping dietary intake of stuff that benefits bone repair.

I popped a calcium tablet everyday, also scrambled eggs with chopped spinach as part of brekkie every day. Every little helps....

Mark

OP DalesClimber 25 Sep 2022
In reply to MarkAstley:

Yes - this occurred to me too. I already have a pretty good diet but have started taking a bone health supplement, and am making sure to keep my protein intake up. Bones don't repair themselves as well or as fast in women as they do in men, and I'm very conscious of that.

Post edited at 18:11
 nniff 27 Sep 2022

One thing I forgot is looking after your scar.  Mine was a lot larger than I expected (a bit more than the full length of the bone) and it sticks to the bone as it heals.  It's easy to forget as you focus on movement and strength, and because keeping the skin moving freely hurts - but be diligent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...