Boris tweet of last night is amazing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tringa 02 Apr 2020

From here  -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52130230

"I want to say a special word about testing, because it is so important, and as I have said for weeks and weeks, this is the way through," he said.

It this the same PM who told us about drive through testing stations, which then disappeared; that we were going to have 10,000 tests a day but that fell by the wayside and is the leader of the government who couldn't get the actual figure correct?

It beggars belief that he can come out with " .... as I have said for weeks and weeks, ...". It is like having our own home grown Donald Trump.

Dave

ian caton 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

He just says things people want to hear. There is no more to him. 

john arran 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Beggars belief that there are 3 (thus far) people on here who are so politically entrenched as to 'dislike' your undeniable OP.

The Lemming 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Boris gets Covid-19 and now thinks testing is a good idea.

Who'd have thought?

Wiley Coyote2 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

I've no idea what he hoped to achieve by the  video but if it was some kind of reassurance it backfired spectacularly. All I could see was a scruffy, dishevelled  slightly confused old man who looked like he had spent the day drinking White Lightning in the park and shouting at the pigeons. I certainly did not see  a man who appeared to be in control or capable of doing anything useful.

George Ormerod 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Looks like even the right wing press, including the BorisGraph, can't ignore the testing shit show any longer.

two_tapirs 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

How many of the media have called Boris out on this claim?  

The Lemming 02 Apr 2020
In reply to john arran:

> Beggars belief that there are 3 (thus far) people on here who are so politically entrenched as to 'dislike' your undeniable OP.

Makes me almost wish that I have my Like/Dislike tab turned off.

Almost

Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2020
In reply to john arran:

I’ve postulated several times recently on these forums, that the “dislike” button is increasingly being used in a similar way as the “angry” emoji on Facebook - ie not as an attack on the poster or a disagreement with their post, but actually an AGREEMENT with a “negative” thing being highlighted in the post. 

Example - I report that I saw a youth deliberately coughing on some paramedics tending to someone in the street, and then laughing at them.

You don’t like that this happened, it makes you angry, you register this by clicking “dislike” 

Stichtplate 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I’ve postulated several times recently on these forums, that the “dislike” button is increasingly being used in a similar way as the “angry” emoji on Facebook - ie not as an attack on the poster or a disagreement with their post, but actually an AGREEMENT with a “negative” thing being highlighted in the post. 

> Example - I report that I saw a youth deliberately coughing on some paramedics tending to someone in the street, and then laughing at them.

> You don’t like that this happened, it makes you angry, you register this by clicking “dislike” 

I don't think this is true. I think people hit "dislike" on something I've posted because they think I'm being a dick (on contemplation, I often agree with them). 

OP Tringa 02 Apr 2020
In reply to two_tapirs:

> How many of the media have called Boris out on this claim?  

I haven't heard of any yet and as he is still self isolating it probably will never happen, unfortunately.

Dave

David Riley 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

I understood Boris always has wanted more testing.   But nobody could provide enough.

Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Hi, where I said "increasingly" I only meant incrementally. Maybe less than 5% of the time, but it used to be 0%. I've only seen this (admittedly presumed) use in the last 8 months or so, and it is only personal conclusion from seeing posts getting dislikes which clearly don't warrant dislikes in the "traditional" sense. 

EarlyBird 02 Apr 2020
In reply to David Riley:

> I understood Boris always has wanted more testing.   But nobody could provide enough.

Here's the problem - the Government should be straight with us if there are obstacles in the way of  a a particular approach rather than lying, manipulating and obfuscating. We are not infants in spite of their insistence on treating us as such.  

GoneFishing111 02 Apr 2020
In reply to EarlyBird:

Would honesty attract a different response though? I reckon it is highly likely that had Boris said "you know what, we just cant get the testing kits, sorry. Now do stay at home". A thread would have popped up here with someone wittering on about how much of a knob he is that he cant get testing sorted.

Ian W 02 Apr 2020
In reply to GoneFishing111:

> Would honesty attract a different response though? I reckon it is highly likely that had Boris said "you know what, we just cant get the testing kits, sorry. Now do stay at home". A thread would have popped up here with someone wittering on about how much of a knob he is that he cant get testing sorted.

And rightly so; but better to be honest and struggling to get something done than to be dishonest and still struggle to get it done.

Rob Exile Ward 02 Apr 2020

'A thread would have popped up here with someone wittering on about how much of a knob he is that he cant get testing sorted.' 

You don't know that, and I'm not convinced you're right.

Sir Chasm 02 Apr 2020

So what? Boris shouldn't tell the truth because someone might post on UKC?

skog 02 Apr 2020

It sounds a lot like you're saying that it's fine for him to lie whenever telling the truth would not get him a better reaction from people.

Hopefully I've misunderstood you, and you are actually able to see the value of honesty - are you able to clarify?

GoneFishing111 02 Apr 2020
In reply to skog:

Just a basic observation, nothing to be inferred here.

David Riley 02 Apr 2020
In reply to EarlyBird:

> #the Government should be straight with us if there are obstacles in the way of  a a particular approach rather than lying,

I said I was going to run the Derby 10K last Sunday.  Paid the money, did the training.  Was I lying ?

Post edited at 17:49
 EarlyBird 02 Apr 2020
In reply to David Riley:

That’s a ludicrous comparison.

EarlyBird 02 Apr 2020

It was Michael Gove I had in mind but your point is fair. I guess that’s the problem you have when a public health crisis means people’s trust in Govt is vitally important but your communication model has always relied on misinformation and misdirection. The public is - or was - probably prepared to give the Govt some space in spite of their previous record but they are squandering that  resource fairly quickly. 

AdrianC 02 Apr 2020
In reply to EarlyBird:

Yes.  for a couple of days there they it seemed that they were being reasonably straight with us but that soon ended when tricky questions appeared.

Trying to gaslight the people who pay your wages at any time is contemptible.  Even more so right now.

dan gibson 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

I think it's taken the government until Mid March to start taking CV19 seriously. 

We are now playing a massive game of catch up in our preparations. 

I believe that the government are now trying their best to ramp up the testing, but the real question is 'What the hell were they doing for the previous two months when we knew this was coming?' 

jkarran 02 Apr 2020

> Would honesty attract a different response though? I reckon it is highly likely that had Boris said "you know what, we just cant get the testing kits, sorry. Now do stay at home". A thread would have popped up here with someone wittering on about how much of a knob he is that he cant get testing sorted.

Doubtless but several capable labs and businesses may have come forward with workable alternatives to bridge the gap.

Jk

In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

>  All I could see was a scruffy, dishevelled  slightly confused old man who looked like he had spent the day drinking White Lightning in the park and shouting at the pigeons. 

You just described my daily permitted exercise, hic!

wbo2 02 Apr 2020
In reply to David Riley: He should get someone in a position of power to sort out some of these obstacles.... oh hang on... he's the Prime Minister in charge of government....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...