Border Collie experiences...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 08 Aug 2022

I lost my last dog about 5 months ago now and having thought I would't have another I'm pretty close to thinking I will. I've had decades of Border Terriers and a Patterdale but have been thinking about getting a border collie. Plenty of them round where I live and always pups available but mostly all from farms and working dogs. I haven't had one but spend a fair bit of time with some of them on my mates hill farm.... they're not pets though and sleep in a barn all year round...

I'd be interested in people's experiences of buying, gender, short or medium haired etc...

jimtitt 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Had a couple (got one now). They are hyperactive and need constantly something to do and an enormous amount of excercise. Easy to train and highly intelligent. Only really suitable with a large garden and someone at home all day.

The herd things like people, other pets and worst small children, they will nip them if they don't obey!

dread-i 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

We have a short haired, female collie, for about 12 years.

She's pretty intense. Alert as a ninja on crack. Wants to round up the kids for bedtime. She's worked out the music is often at the end of films, then people go to bed. So she gets excited when there is music in films, just in case. They need a lot of stimulation. Prone to OCD, but very smart. Ours can spot the postman about 100m away, and gets more and more excited as he approaches. I've taken her on long runs, to burn off some energy, but she's still bonkers. If you put in the training, they can be great.

montyjohn 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

We've had a few border collies, but as rescue dogs as adults. When brought up badly they are very challenging to manage. Almost human like complexities.

We had one that would threaten to attack anyone wearing a yellow jacket and honestly didn't believe it belonged at the bottom of the household pack.

We've had rescue dogs of other breeds that we have had success in training out of bad habits but with Collies, once damaged, you would need a lot of time and skill to correct, and even then I think you would have limited success.

So if you get a pup, just be aware that if the training is neglected, it may be too late to fix later.

Also they need tonnes of exercise and stimulation. 

Bulls Crack 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I have friends who have always had border collies  - usually in pairs  - who I'm sure be very happy to talk to you about them if you like?

Andy DB 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I never had one, but I know plenty of people who have and they can make lovely pets. I think others have covered it but remember they are very smart and have loads of energy.  An MR search dog handler once  said to me "collies are great but if you are not directing all that energy and smarts into something useful they will become self-employed"

If it were me, I would probably not go for a farm working stock dog for a pet, I would see if I could find out where the agility/flyball type people get their collies. 

jimtitt 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy DB:

Of mine one was a sorted-out working pup, it failed early training as it wasn't agressive enough to the sheep. The other was bred from a troupe of performing frisbee dogs. They were identical in their habits! 

Dax H 08 Aug 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

> honestly didn't believe it belonged at the bottom of the household pack.

Please come and explain the position in the pack to my dogs, in our house it's the Mrs, the dogs, the rabbit and I just squeeze in before the frogs in the garden. 

montyjohn 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Well I failed to convince our dog so I'm in no position to explain anything but I can offer emotional support:

There there, it's not all bad, at least you're being fed.

I'm sure you feel much better now.

JoshOvki 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I have a medium haired collie dog, bright as a button and always alert. Needs a fair bit of attention but not constant, by any means. We spend a lot of time doing scent work when its weather like this as we can't physically exhaust him. Our dog has no interest in herding, balls/kids/sheep, just can't be bothered, makes a cracking retriever though. Other collies have such a high drive for herding and what not it makes it hard for them to be pets. Failed sheep dogs often make good pets (assuming they failed due to no drive for sheep rather than eating one).

If you are willing to put the time into training they are great, if you want a lazy dog... don't do it! We also taught Bran "That will do", whenever we are done with any task "that will do" is the signal it is the end of that which a nice little "off" switch. Along with "settle down" for when we are in a pub. Separation anxiety is an issue for us though

peppermill 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

An ex had a year old rough collie due to a bizarre twist of events, appreciate not what you asked but I think they have similar characteristics (happy to be corrected...). Absolute bear of a thing, huge even by the standards of the breed.

Amazing temperament all the energy and intelligence you'd expect of a collie, unbelievably chilled around strangers and other animals, even put up with the odd idiot getting right up in his face with the "OOOOOH fluffy doggo!!" routine with nothing more than a long-suffering look at one of us. Just as happy to slob out all day as he was doing something active.

As long as there were people around. Left alone for more than 20 minutes suddenly the devil made work for idle paws and he'd start tearing the flat apart and generally go batsh*t. 

No way I'd have one unless I could keep it active almost all of the time, was a total eye opener as to how much work a dog like that can be.

ExiledScot 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

On our 4th, no.3 once out of teen years (3ish) was as chilled as a labrador, didn't get phased by anything, no anxiety, didn't get bored if alone for several hours, was as content with 30min toddle as a 2hr run... he simply wasn't a collie!

Current 8 month old is everything the last wasn't, it's a shock as we'd forgotten how much work they can be, a few walks for collies won't cut it, they need stimulation, games, thinking, a purpose. This one seems to have a thing for nose works, very good at picking up, tracking, differentiate older and newer scents. No great interest in sheep which is odd as his parents are both good working dogs, but that's collies. 

Unless you can commit to the training I'd say avoid. Not just you your family, as if you do great training, but then someone else walks them later the same day and allows them to get away with murder, guess which habit will stick! 

Post edited at 13:53
 SouthernSteve 08 Aug 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Unless you can commit to the training I'd say avoid. Not just you your family, as if you do great training, but then someone else walks them later the same day and allows them to get away with murder, guess which habit will stick! 

We see many dogs including collies that are not getting enough stimulation. All dogs need activity and environmental enrichment and companionship, but some need a lot to stop them becoming bored and frustrated - not to mention fat. Pick a dog for your lifestyle not for the lifestyle you want to have. Personally I wouldn't get a collie - they are often a bit one person orientated which is not easy for the rest of the household.

jezb1 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Two words: Hard work.

They can be the absolute best or worst of dogs.

I loved mine but crikey she had her moments!

Learnt to roll over in about 60 seconds, perfect recall… but if you weren’t paying attention she knew it and off she’d go chasing a horse or barking at people with learning difficulties (yep!)

My spaniel isn’t quite as intelligent but still v easy to train, and much more manageable in general.

My collie was amazing though, loved her to bits.

ExiledScot 08 Aug 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> - they are often a bit one person orientated which is not easy for the rest of the household.

One person is their master, the rest the pack to round up. 

yorkshireman 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Interesting to read the replies - it seems that although collies have traits, they're individuals as well and are a product of their environment.

We've had Eric* as a rescue dog from a year old and he's now nearly 11 (although we're not allowed to acknowledge that fact out loud in our house). Very much a collie that failed the herding exam (we know little about his early life, he was being fostered by a friend of a friend after his elderly owner died). He loves to herd our cats and hates it if they do something he thinks we don't like - we've nicknamed him the police as he loves to keep them inline, but equally will curl up and share his dog basket with them.

I used to run with him when he was younger but he was impossible to tire out. The only way to do it is brain games and tracking and scenting are excellent for that. His party trick was classic-collie catching the frisbee in mid air but that had to stop after an operation last year for a herniated disk.

4 years ago we got another rescue dog, one with a lot of problems and serious reactivity issues with other dogs. Eric was amazing with him and has accepted him (Otis) into the house and they're best mates, although Otis goes crazy at any other dog he sees.

Having Otis (complete mixed breed/street dog) made me realise how thick Eric actually is and that the 'borders are smart' is really not very always a given.

We got him when we moved to France and were able to work from home all the time - we've never had any chewing or destruction issues apart from pompoms on hats, and ironically enough, a dog training manual in the early days. I'm not sure I'd necessarily get another Collie as I think we've been very lucky with Eric although we know a lot more about dog behaviour now. However I think I'd rather always go with a rescue mutt than a specific breed in future.

*Original name 'Garry'. Foster Lady: "Yes, you know, like the actor." Me: "Oldman"? Foster lady: "No, Grant. Garry Grant?"

Gordonbp 08 Aug 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

Actually they need more mental stimulation than exercise. We have a 19 month old.....

Gordonbp 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Collies walk a very fine dividing line between genius and insanity!

The Lemming 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

My first dog was a  collie puppy from a farm near me. Collies are highly intelligent dogs verging on neurotic little creatures. They will do as they are told 98% of the time and can virtually read your mind through telepathy. Ben was a great companion till he died from Leukaemia.

At the moment I have a Patterdale Terrier, and fek me was that a learning curve to say the least. I had no idea how stubborn Patterdales were or the fact that they are fearless. It took time for me to learn that having a Terrier was to have a partnership with an autonomous dog that likes to do their own thing.

A Patterdale, as you know will do what its told 50% of the time and of that 50% only if they really want to.

A Collie is the polar opposite where they are obedient to a fault and know exactly what you are thinking.

The Lemming 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

If it was me, I would not get too hung up on how energetic Collies are. Not every human runs marathons or walks miles and miles. Just walk down your local high-street to notice that there are all shapes and sizes of skinny to fat bloaters.

A Collie will be as fit as you let it. I was happy with pootling around the hills or walking round the local fields to keep my chap happy.

LJKing 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

We had a border collie from a breeder. He had never been near a farm but still crouched  sneaked up on other dogs etc to round them up. He died when he was 13 but was the perfect dog. Walked /ran as far as you wanted him too, was happy to be left alone and was  not bothered by other dogs or people etc. All in all v laid back. I have only had the one dog but what I would say is that if collies are meant to be hyper intelligent other dogs must be really thick! Find one from a breeder not a farm dog is what I would advise.

Tringa 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I can't comment on collies but whatever dog you get please consider a dog from a rescue centre. There are loads of dogs that really need a home.

It isn't likely you will get a pup but you are likely to get a dog that knows a few commands, is likely to be house trained, and could be neutered and chipped too(our dog was when we got him).

Dave

GEd_83 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

My parents have always had border collies, so I have a soft spot for them. An alternative might be a welsh sheepdog, we've got an 8 year old welsh sheepdog we bought for £30 off a farm, and they're just as intelligent but generally a lot calmer, they don't get as fixated on trying to herd objects, and they're just much more chilled.

OP abr1966 08 Aug 2022
In reply to GEd_83:

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and comments. I've been up on my mates farm asking him about dogs this evening. He has 2 working dogs but they are not pets at all. His logic is that in a litter of 5, 3 of them will show no aptitude for sheep but the other 2 will and of the 2 just 1 may be a good working dog but you can't tell until they are a bit older. He always buys working dogs that are trained by someone else. His advice was if getting a puppy spend time with the litter and their temperament will show.

It'd be a learning thing for sure after many years of terriers but I live in the Peak and can walk in good places straight from home so it would get plenty of outdoor life. I work from home mostly now and hopefully going part time after Christmas.

I'll keep thinking it through and get some more guidance, there are some breeders down in Macc apparently who are keen to see their dogs go to good homes so I'll make contact with them.

Cheers 

The Lemming 08 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

You could get a new hobby hurding sheeps

youtube.com/watch?v=xLv6s4RDJgY&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...