Booking a PCR test for non-UK residents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 01 Dec 2021

Hi all,

The in-laws are due to fly over to see us here in Scotland on the 4th December. They're struggling to find how to book a PCR test for after their arrival here. I've spent the last hour trying to figure it out (after eventually finding a page that showed approved suppliers), but every time I try and and book one it asks for your NHS number.

Can anyone point me to where I can book a PCR test for German residents arriving in the UK?

Surely this should be more straightforward, with a link in big letters saying to book your PCR test click here?!

jezb1 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

Have you tried Boots?

I don't know if you need an NHS number I'm afraid, just thought it's worth a look: https://www.boots.com/services/covid-19-testing/day-2-day-8-covid-19-testin...

Alkis 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

It should be fairly straight forward, I booked for my parents in October, neither of whom have an NHS number. We ended up using Collinson, directly at the airport. Make sure you pick Day 2 test, if you pick a regular PCR test it will probably ask for an NHS number indeed.

ianstevens 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

I'm a Danish resident, booked mine through alphabiolabs (on the gov list). No NHS number needed, just a UK delivery address. As above, make sure you choose a day 2 test.

Post edited at 15:01
OP MikeR 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

Thanks all, maybe my searching skills are just a bit crap! I will check those out.

ianstevens 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

They'll ask for an NHS number but these are non-compulsory on the form generally.

Carless 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

I've used Randox twice - don't think they asked for NHS no (I don't have one)

https://covid.randox.com/travelling-to-the-uk/

Andy Johnson 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

https://www.gov.uk/find-travel-test-provider

I used rightangled for my dad's amber-list day 2 and day 8 and they were okay, but recently I've read that their service quality has been poor.

OP MikeR 01 Dec 2021
In reply to MikeR:

Thanks all, looks like they are sorted now.

I blame post night shift for my rubbish searching skills.

In reply to MikeR:

Just been reading our corporate COVID guidance, and spotted the bit about travel testing. There is a gov.uk page about this, with approved suppliers:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-c...

Frankly, it struck me as pretty stupid not to allow the use of the existing NHS PCR testing capability for all travellers; note that even UK travellers, returning to the UK, have to use a commercial PCR test facility; they can't use the NHS PCR testing facility. I'm not sure of the numbers involved in travel, but making people pay seems likely to reduce uptake. I have an NHS PCR walk-in (pre-booked) test facility 15 minutes walk away. Seems like a false economy. Still, I suppose it's more money for mates, eh...?

Post edited at 15:28
 Alkis 01 Dec 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I'm not sure of the numbers involved in travel, but making people pay seems likely to reduce uptake.

A pre booked test is required to get a PLF, so there is no option there that could reduce uptake, plus there is a large fine involved on top of that.

> Still, I suppose it's more money for mates, eh...?

Absolutely.

Carless 01 Dec 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Even the gov uk website admits it's a ripoff

"You cannot use an NHS test for your PCR test. You must use a private test provider.

You will need to enter your COVID-19 test booking reference number on your passenger locator form.

If you’re in England for less than 2 days, you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test. You must quarantine until you receive a negative day 2 COVID-19 PCR test, or until you leave England, whichever is sooner."

ianstevens 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Alkis:

Paying for the test and taking the test are two different things though…

Alkis 02 Dec 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

There is a fine if you do not take your booked test, it's 2 grand if I remember rightly. Very easy to issue as well, the test booking and result is on a government database.

ianstevens 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Alkis:

It's *meant* to be on a gov database. I've never had any of mine (admittedly all negative) followed up by test and trace in anyway - which I thought was how it was supposed to work, especially in the time of day 2 and 8 tests.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...